Buffy The Vampire Slayer getting reboot treatment

Joss Whedon wants none of it

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Vampires are still all the rage - in no small part thanks to the craze-making Twilight movies - and Hollywood isn’t showing any signs of letting up on the bloodsuckers.

Even sacred properties like Buffy The Vampire Slayer aren’t safe, with the iconic stake-wielder officially being prepped for a reboot treatment courtesy of Warner Bros.

We already heard early last year that a redo of the franchise was in the offing, but now Whit Anderson, who is writing the new Buffy film, has spoken out about her vision for the make-over.

“The thing that was so wonderful about Buffy is what made it special was so timeless," she says. "The deep struggle she had with duty and destiny, that tug between what you’re supposed to be doing and what you want to be doing.

“The fate of the world is on her shoulders but some days she wakes up and she just doesn’t want to do it. And are we doomed and destined to love someone?  That conflict was very interesting to me.”

Okay, yes the concept’s timeless, but that doesn’t mean it can be rehashed every couple of decades in order to make a little cash.

Producer Charles Roven disagrees, calling Whit’s take on the concept “pretty compelling and a lot of fun, and it’s interesting to see all of this re-imagined. This is a completely new reboot…. It needs to be relevant to today.”

Kick us if we’re wrong, but Joss Whedon’s seven season show is still as cool and relevant today as it was during the ‘90s. Oh, and naturally the geek god is staying well clear of this…

“This is a sad, sad reflection on our times," says Whedon, "when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths - just because they can’t think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.”

Do we really need a Buffy reboot? Who should play the titular character? Speak out below...

Comments

• Jeffbiscuits

Nov 23rd 2010, 9:07

I only think this would be worthwhile if it was an extension of the current buddy universe with a new vampire slayer. Sarah michelle gellar is buffy and joss whedon's tv show is still far to fresh to even consider remaking.

• Grinch11

Nov 23rd 2010, 10:44

Good call Jeffbiscuits. An extension of the universe would be perfect. Buffy has already had one reboot after the initial Swanson starrer was panned and that resulted in one of the best TV shows of our generation, something that should never be dismissed as "monster of the week teen-fluff". To remake that would be like making Total Recall starring Colin Farr......oh....what......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• willow138

Nov 23rd 2010, 11:01

i am 100000000000000000000% gutted they are doing this without Joss or Marti and David its such a shame. The TV show is relevent and doesn't need a movie reboot. Just get the CW to put buffy on instead of the vampire diaries s**t they play now, lol

• MoggyMog

Nov 23rd 2010, 11:16

Ermm.... What about ditching this wretched new write for adapting the Season 8 Comics for the big screen? With original cast. Obvs. Or with one of the mini slayers, but still giving Joss, Marti and David the credits they so thoroughly deserve. This disturbs almost as much as the Teen Wolf TV show. Eww.

• MadMatt

Nov 23rd 2010, 22:11

Buffy isn't really a 90s show, it ran through the first half of the noughties too. So although they're referring back to the 1992 movie, this character was part of the zeitgeist very recently. Monumentally pointless, and concrete evidence that Roven deserves zero credit for the success of BB and TDK.

• kilroy0097

Nov 25th 2010, 12:53

What was wonderful about Buffy was not Buffy it was everyone around Buffy. Buffy herself, no disrespect to Gellar, wasn't all that interesting by herself. Granted the story revolved around the Slayer and their part in history but honestly I enjoyed all the characters and how they interacted and also the villains. So making a reboot based mostly on Buffy is a great big honking mistake and unless this turns in an unsuspecting way, I think it's going to suck harder than Sunnydale H.S. being built on top of a Hellmouth. Now if they could just bring back Darla only because Julie Benz rocks.

• Rosewood09

Nov 29th 2010, 15:50

This news really annoys me. Buffy (and Angel) have arguably been one of the greatest TV series of the past 2 decades to have it remade so soon (why do it at all!!) is a huge insult to Whedon, the loyal fans and Marti & David. If they want to revisit these characters why not continue the story with the original characters (personally I'd love to see any new series feature the events from the 'Season 8' graphic novels and I'd like to see Angel return for TV series of 'After the Fall' - unlikely as it may be with Boreanaz's commitments with 'Bones'). I mean has Sarah Michelle Gellar achieved anything of note since Buffy, she'd probably welcome the chance to reprise the role!?!

• irish

Mar 18th 2011, 12:34

Isn't Whedon being sarcastic?

• BigPaul

Jul 13th 2011, 20:04

There are only two ways this could possibly work, 1: a continuation from the series with the original cast, or 2: a complete re-start to the whole universe. As I just can't see the old 'Scooby gang' getting back together (how ever much I would love it) the only way is to start over again - as trying to continue the series without SMG and co would be worse than a re-boot. I agree that this is far too soon to do this though, wait 10 years and it might not be so blasphemous. Although I will be interested in who they get to play Buffy (any one got any ideas, or who they think should get the role) and what they do with the film, so I know I will go and see it. And hey if it does turn out to be awful I can still carry on with my annual Buffy/Angel marathon every June (8 years and counting).