Captain America 3 will be Marvel’s May 2016 release

Will go head to head with Batman vs. Superman

Marvel has revealed that Captain America 3 will be taking its 6 May 2016 release slot, putting it in direct competition with Batman vs. Superman.

The studio had been holding a pair of release slots for two Marvel Untitled movies, with the second mystery film set to arrive in May 2017.

It was recently confirmed that Winter Soldier directors Joe and Anthony Russo would be returning behind the camera, with the duo currently working out story angles with screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.

The question now is whether Marvel or DC budges over that 6 May release date, as releasing two major, rival superhero movies on the same weekend is practically unheard of.

Kevin Feige has previously been quoted as saying that Marvel won’t be moving, particularly since it has held that May slot for a good few years now. However, Batman vs. Superman got there first this time around…

Something surely has to give, although with Batman vs. Superman already having moved once, don’t be surprised if Feige backs down on this one. In the meantime, Captain America: The Winter Soldier opens in the UK on 28 March 2014.

Which would you go and see first if the two films stayed head to head? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Chufferstud

Mar 14th 2014, 11:13

I'm pretty sure CA3 will move. BvS is too big an event movie to go up against, whether the reviews are good or bad, curiosity will be a big factor.

Mar 14th 2014, 13:10

Arrogance and stupidity. I don't care what you think about MOS or the casting for Batman vs. Superman but people will flock to that movie in droves. Be it the curiosity factor or finally getting to see Batman and Superman on the big screen together. Hopefully Feige is just posturing because it's unfair to sacrifice Captain America like this.

• endofdays2

Mar 14th 2014, 14:09

A lot of people will see both I'm sure...I will.

• Mattsimus

Mar 14th 2014, 14:34

Im with Marvel all the way and although this is a fairly fair guess, I would say box office wise, unless cap 2 is a great film and does awesome box office then I dont see the takings being higher than Sup / bats, given snyders reputation I dont see Sup / bats being a better film but its a combination of two massive franchises being put together on screen for the first time on same weekend I say S vs B wins but Cap 3 will be a better film! Oh and not forgetting Thor two failed to take a higher global box office than MOS which is odd, but build up for MOS was massive, so just imagine the PR for S vs B. For the record Cap 2 looks wicked......

Mar 14th 2014, 17:11

Once Warner Bros start releasing images of the new Bat suit and a picture of the two standing next to each other the hype will blow off the roof.

• trist808

Mar 14th 2014, 17:36

Marvel did announce May 6th 2016 as a release date for one of their films a while ago. It was Warner Brothers who decided to shift Batman Vs Superman to that date, not the other way around, even though it was only this week when Cap 3 was confirmed as the Marvel film ... I assumed it would be Doctor Strange with all the talk of director's and actors etc, it felt like the next one being lined up after Ant-Man. All WB need to do is move by a week either forward to April or slightly back to May 13th or even 20th, to give themselves some breathing space. I think Marvel should stick to the date they set a few months ago. Cap 3 will be big enough after Winter Soldier and Age Of Ultron have had their bows :)

Mar 14th 2014, 18:52

Batman vs. Superman move for Captain America...........Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ho hehe aha ha ho he ha aha. And I thought my jokes were bad

• Mattsimus

Mar 15th 2014, 10:12

I hope your right trist808 i hope your right!!!!

• trist808

Mar 15th 2014, 16:00

You haven't seen Winter Soldier yet Ali, whereas I have and it p**s.e.s. all over Man Of Steel ... we're talking two years from now with Avengers Age Of Ultron still to come to help cement Captain America further into the public's mind. All I'm saying is, BVS or whatever they end up calling it, needs to just move a week or so, they've already shifted once, why not again? :) I remember 2007's Transformers Vs Simpsons, both opened on the same date, both were big hits, but Simpsons far out-performed Transformers and both films suffered from not having the opening weekend to themselves. Someone has already said it elsewhere, Batman Vs Superman will probably be the bigger hit, but Captain America 3 will be the better film.

Mar 15th 2014, 18:51

The Winter Soldier does look really good and all the buzz is very positive but it's not going to change the fact that the hype for Batman vs. Superman will be unreal. Comic book fans have been dreaming about seeing Batman and Superman on screen together for decades, it would take a gargantuan blockbuster to make Warner Bros move that date. Only the likes of Star Wars Episode 7 or The Avengers 3 would have a shot of out performing Batman vs. Superman. And besides as much as I like Evans he's no RDJ.

• trist808

Mar 17th 2014, 5:42

I agree, the hype will be incredible, but I think some negativity will seep in (a lot of DC fans as well as regular cinema-goers were not happy with MOS) and the Marvel brand is forever growing ... all I'm saying is move it a week, that's all it needs, I think if it tries to go head-to-head with Cap 3, it will suffer :)