Cary Fukunaga to adapt Stephen King's It

Planning to spread epic novel across two films

Cary Fukunaga is planning a remake of It, the classic Stephen King novel, famously adapted for the small screen back in 1990, with Tim Curry playing the fiendish Pennywise the clown.

Fukunaga plans to convert the three-hour TV movie into a pair of big-screen episodes, with he and co-writer Chase Palmer currently working on boiling down the 1,104 doorstop into a workable script.

The story tells the tale of a group of childhood friends who join forces to fend off a malevolent entity preying on children. Said entity appears to each individual as the thing they fear most, but is most commonly seen as a hideously grinning clown.

Even as adults, it becomes clear that It hasn't fully been defeated, and the boys (now men) are forced to reconnect and face their fears once more. Turns out they're still scared of clowns, as any sane person would be.

How Fukunaga plans to split the story in two remains to be seen, although the shift between childhood and adulthood could provide a natural place to separate the two sections. No release date has been floated as yet, and with plenty of writing for Fukunaga and Palmer to get their heads around, it may yet be a while away...

Is It ripe for a remake, and if so, who would you like to see play Pennywise? Tell us, below...

Comments

• ThrashGordon

Jun 8th 2012, 18:02

Yay! An increase in clown phobia for the next young generation! :D

• QuietLife

Jun 9th 2012, 0:12

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Dalidab, I think this is ripe for a proper adaptation. "It" is one of my favourite books and although I enjoyed the first half of the TV movie, I felt it was never done justice. One note however: Keep Tim Curry!

• GirlOnFilm

Jun 10th 2012, 12:25

I have to agree with TheKingofCinema. I don't think anyone could play Pennywise as well as Curry did. http://thisgirlsonfilm.blogspot.co.uk/

• georgeWW

Jun 10th 2012, 12:54

old news.. this has been in development for like 2yrs

• EddieFelson

Jun 11th 2012, 10:08

Loved the book, thought the second half of the original was awful so I am definitely siding with Quitelife a remake that needs to be made (very rare indeed) and I think although Curry nailed the clown there is host of talent out there that would easily match if not better Curry

• bencobra

Jun 11th 2012, 11:24

In support of bringing Tim Curry back. However, I do believe that a remake is unnecessary. The original is still quite terrifying.

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 11th 2012, 13:59

agree with Quietlife & EddieFelson, the first half had a very 'Stand By Me' vibe for obvious reasons and the child actors were much better than their adult counterparts (could be the way they were written though too, very wet). Mark Hamil for Pennywise!

• EddieFelson

Jun 12th 2012, 9:50

@MoodMonkey best thing he would have done since playing the Joker

• conorellison

Aug 2nd 2012, 2:07

I've had a phobia of clowns since I was small and It is one of my favourite horror films cause it uses what scares me most, I hope this lives up to the original