Chris Evans to take acting break when Marvel contract expires

Captain America star turns to directing

After a long run of wearing tight latex costumes, comic-book movie veteran Chris Evans has decided to hang up his shield for a while after his six-film Marvel contract expires.

Talking with Glamour magazine (via Digital Spy), the Captain America actor discussed his impending temporary retirement as well as his directorial debut on 1:30 Train.

"I think when I'm done with this Marvel contract, I'll take a little break from acting," he told Glamour.

Following his appearances in comic-book movie franchises (Captain America, Avengers Assemble and Fantastic Four), Evans has decided to take a career move and place himself in the director’s chair.

"This process [directing], you're involved in every single decision. If I hadn't done it, I'd be really kicking myself. At the time, it was a daunting task for a number of reasons, but in hindsight it was the right move.”

Appearing somewhat disillusioned with the world of acting, the actor went on to say:

"With acting, you're one piece in a very big puzzle. It's like you helped buy a gift but you don't know what the gift is, so you come back and see the movie. Sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's tragic.”

Fortunately for us, Captain America will return in the latest installment Captain America: The Winter Soldier along with Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier will open in the UK on 28 March 2014.

Would you be sad to see Evans take a break from acting? Tell us below!

Comments

• marvelboy

Mar 4th 2014, 16:40

As much as this upset me, this means he won't renew his contract which means they can do the "Fallen Son" story and pass on the shield

• jem0013

Mar 4th 2014, 16:56

Oh Marvelboy behave yourself - let's not bother with dragging it out. When it's over it's over. People will get bored of it sooner or later and as a general cinema goer I'm not bothered about the 'Fallen Son' story that you speak of. Nor am I bothered about a 'darker' reboot. Spiderman springs to mind too I watched it on in-flight entertainment and was bored by it.

Mar 4th 2014, 17:10

So when does the contract expire? Age of Ultron?

• TheDRQ

Mar 4th 2014, 18:51

Ali1748. I don't know for sure but if it is a six movie deal, then there are three more after "winter soldier" (the FF series doesn't count) so I would guess that means Captain america 3 and Avengers 2 and 3.

• Wolfy82

Mar 4th 2014, 22:14

I feel there is always one actor that tries to ruin a franchise and tries to leave an make it big on their own. Stick with what works!

• illkillyoulast

Mar 5th 2014, 0:57

when did he start acting?

Mar 5th 2014, 17:51

DRQ - If it's a six picture deal then does his cameo in The Dark World count?

• jakekitley

Mar 5th 2014, 19:09

The cameo counts as RDJs did in Hulk... So that means he's got 2 left, Avengers 2 and something in phase 3, where he'll probably pass the shield down to someone (Bucky)