Chris Hemsworth talks Huntsman spin-off

Another franchise in the offing

Snow White And The Huntsman may still be a couple of weeks away from release but talk is already afoot of a potential prequel focussing on Chris Hemsworth's character, the Huntsman.

David Koepp is currently in talks to write a follow-up to the forthcoming fairy tale, and one of the most persistent rumours is that it will be a Huntsman-centric tale. As far as Hemsworth himself is concerned, he's happy to keep an open mind.

"I’ve heard probably the same rumours you have about possible sequels to this or prequels as far as the Huntsman’s storyline goes," says Hemsworth, when asked whether he would be interested in such a project. "If there’s an audience for it and people wanna see it and there’s a great script and room to do something different with it, absolutely."

As for the Huntsman's back-story, there would appear to be plenty of scope for further exploration. "We’re pretty elusive for the most of it," explains Hemsworth. "He begins having suffered some sort of trauma in a whole life before this point, and then at the end it’s left open as well."

"We had endless discussions about ‘where does he come from and why does he do this and what’s this about?’" he continues, "and it all of a sudden opened up all these ideas about his whole life prior to this."

Snow White And The Huntsman opens in the UK on 1 June 2012. Sounds like there's a new franchise in the offing...

Would you be interested in watching a Huntsman spin-off? Tell us, below...

Comments

May 21st 2012, 11:39

Enough with all the spin off ideas already, we don't need a Huntsman movie or a Blackwidow movie.

• FBOHansen

May 21st 2012, 11:52

ENOUGH WITH ALL THESE EFFING PREQUELS, SPINOFFS AND SEQUELS!!! GIVE US SOME GOOD, ORIGINAL MATERIAL!!!!!!

• bencobra

May 21st 2012, 14:27

Completely agree with the guys above. What is with all the spin-offs, prequels etc? Is there no creativity or originality anymore? Comic Book movies and fair tale style movies are completely destroying the experience of people who have been going to the cinema for years. I enjoy a good sequel or prequel but why must we be constantly bombarded with them. All the recent Marvel movies have just been a build up to Avenger's and the next lot will just be a build up to the sequel and don't get me started on X-Men First Class. It is a terrible addition to the previous Singer movies which in my opinion match Nolan's Batman Series in quality (obviously Ratner's Last Stand is not included here)>

• MikeyRix

May 21st 2012, 15:20

@bencobra I'd disagree to be honest; even though I thought it was dead-on average when I saw it (save for Fassbender and McAvoy, easily the best things about it), it grew on me. Additionally, I really didn't like X Men films that much, then I saw "First Class" and that made me reconsider. Rewatched "X-Men" and my opinion has changed to the positive. Also, on a more aesthetic note, Jennifer Lawrence is bloody fit. :D

• bencobra

May 21st 2012, 16:30

@MikeyRix. I completely agree with the Jennifer Lawrence point. I suppose my love of the previous movies has had an effect on how I view the new chapter in the franchise. I really was disappointed with the leads though. Maybe i should rewatch First Class and see if my opinion changes.

• Mattsimus

May 21st 2012, 19:40

Dont waste your time first class was overated and didnt like the macavoy losing his legs thing at the end......all happened a bit too quick! As for huntsman, should have just started with that and sequaled with snow white! The only remake im not interested in is spideys, just not bothered at all! Can def watch hemsworth in anything now though, stewart however? not a chance.

• DravenCage

May 21st 2012, 21:09

I've never understood why people complain about remakes, comic-to-film, book-to-film or game-to-film adaptations, screaming "WHERE IS THE ORIGINALITY" to anyone who will listen as if it's a new thing... as if it's only occurred in the last decade or so. Even going back to the first real decade of motion picture, there were stories filmed that were adaptations of books or tales from that era and before. All the Universal horror classics from the 30s would never have been made if only "originality" was allowed. Neither would classic remakes or adaptations from the more modern era like Scarface, Heat, Man on Fire, The Bourne Identity, The Fly (Cronenberg edition), The Magnificent Seven, ... I could go on and on for ever and a day with movies that are remakes or adaptations of previous works but are masterpieces of cinema in their own right. Just once, I'd love for the "anti-remake, anti-adaptation" brigade to realise that a bad movie is a bad movie, regardless of whether it's an original idea and a great movie is a great movie regardless of whether the story has been told before (either on screen or in print). Jeez.... The Godfather, one of the most highly regarded movies of all time, was an adaptation of a novel. Freddy Got Fingered was an original idea. Are you honestly going to tell me that you'd rather Hollywood made more Freddy Got Fingered-esque films just for the sake of being original? Of course, I'm not saying all original films are that poor, but there seems to be a certain group of people who have the automatic response of "remake = s**t" and that's a sad state to be in. I've ran a list of good-to-great remakes (direct and loose) many times and I can honestly say that the world would be a much poorer place without them. Let's just enjoy a film because it's a good film and deride a film because it's a bad film.

• bencobra

May 22nd 2012, 14:49

@DravenCage. I see your point. However, I never once questioned the adaptation of books. There are obviously adaptations I have not particularly enjoyed in comparison to the novel. I am always quite excited about watching films based on famous novels. I realise the originality does not automatically mean quality. The problem I have with recent remakes is that they are being churned out less than ten years after perfectly good versions.

• FBJRider

May 22nd 2012, 18:47

@DravenCage, here, here! I agree with everything you said, so what if films are being remade over and over. The fact is with each new iteration it has it's own spin, look at The Amazing Spider-man, I've watched all the trailers/viral videos and I can't compare it to the Spider-man trilogy because it's completely different and in my opinion it looks better than any of the originals. Tbh after the travesty of Spider-man 3 I think the franchise deserves a reboot to redeem itself, same with X-men after The Last Stand and that crappy Origins film, I welcomed First Class to redeem the series, and The Incredible Hulk etc. etc. Although with the Hulk, Mark Ruffalo just makes you forget there was ever anyone else who played the character.

• nickfaj123

May 27th 2012, 1:03

How about this...If you guys are so sick of prequels and sequels and spinoffs....don't go see them, don't look up articles about them on the internet, just forget they exist. Meanwhile, those of us who enjoy certain franchises will go to see them. Hollywood doesn't require you to see its movies, so I don't understand why you're complaining...Plenty of original movies come out every year.