Chris Nolan starts search for Superman director

Has begun work on the Batman 3 script

Superman

Christopher Nolan has started his quest for a director for the next Superman movie, which is tentatively titled The Man Of Steel.

Having taken on the responsibility of ‘godfather’ to the project over at Warner Bros, the Brit favourite has drawn up a short list of potential directors that includes Tony Scott, Matt Reeves, Jonathan Liebesman, Duncan Jones and Zack Snyder.

Batman collaborator David Goyer has written the script for the new film, though he's obviously not made it onto the list of possible directors.

So who’s the right man for the job? While we’re pleased that Brits Scott and Jones are both being considered, we’re currently so in love with Let Me In that we can’t help but wonder what Matt Reeves would do with the material.

He’s proved he can do epic action with Cloverfield, and intimate drama with Let Me In – two of the most important ingredients for a Superman flick. Go on, give him a pop at it.

Meanwhile, Nolan has also confirmed that he’s officially started work on the script of the third Batman movie.

“I don’t like to talk too much about things until I’m further along with them,” he said during an Inception conference in Italy. “But I’m working on the script right now.

“My brother Jonah has done a draft for the script and now I’m writing on it.  We have set a release date and as far as the film being officially greenlit, they haven’t been told they don’t want to do it. So I’m hopeful.”

Who should direct Man Of Steel? Tell us below...

In cinemas this week…

Comments

• Rusco87

Sep 24th 2010, 18:48

I think he wants to get Batman 3 done, then leave the whole directing for comic-book films alone. I actually can't wait for Chris to have time for his next film away from what people want him to do, another inception, memento, prestge, insomina type project that he writes and directs.

• Rusco87

Sep 24th 2010, 20:02

Batman begins and I know this is going to annoy fans. Is nolans poorest film, but I highly rate it. The thing with batman and superman and comic books is that you are very limited in what you produce in terms of locations characters. It's all someone elses idea. Whereas his other projects and from his creation. I can't see how you can say that about inception. It surpases the matrix on so many levels and won't spawn 2 epic phail of sequels. In a year that is full of remakes,reboots and sequels, inception is this years stand alone original film that has had major worldwide success and it's all due to nolans creative nature and talent.

• aragorn01

Sep 25th 2010, 1:21

i'm afraid i gotta agree Inception ain't too original as well. it's Matrix-like territory, only..as not-so-crazy-bout-Keanu-Reeves-in-the-lead i have to say i like THE FIRST Matrix better than Inception. The Wachowskis did a better job in creating one of the most complete original concept idea for a sci-fi movie since James Cameron's The Terminator. But...back to business at hand...i think Nolan is JUST what the Superman film series NEEDS. His Batman stuff is awesome, and TDK is NOT overrated. it's a teenie tiny too serious for this genre, BUT, in the case of Batman, the DARK knight, it just WORKS. Regarding Matt Reeves as a possible director... well, lemme put it this way, before Batman Begins, i never would have expected (not in a million, gazillion years) than the director of Memento will be directing a Batman movie. Personally, i'm not too crazy bout Cloverfield, the shaky cams made me sick for a week and the premise just totally ridiculous. NOT the alien-monster part, but, the fact that this group of young yuppies would RISK THEIR LIVES to save one of the guy's not too sympathetic EX-girl, who MAY or may NOT still be alive, over in the MONSTER territory. that's just too much disbelief for me to "suspend", sorry. I haven't seen Let Me In, the Swedish movie remake, but, i hope i won't be disappointed. for me, after watching and LIKING the Star Trek reboot, JJ Abrams looks like a good candidate, BUT, i don't think the two egos (his and Nolan's) are conducive for a project THIS big.

Sep 25th 2010, 16:33

Louis Vuitton employs child slave labour, some of whom die of exhaustion, think about that next time you are looking for matching luggage

• jeffamania

Sep 25th 2010, 22:51

Shame I always thought Bryan Singer deserved another shot at Superman. He made a massive leap from X-men to X2 and I believe he could have done so with the man of steel as well. Anyways, whats done is done. I'm happy with Nolan as the movie's overseer but I would be happier if he was also the director of man of steel. I dont really see any of these mentioned directors doing superman justice. And so my advice to Nolan is..we dont need another reboot, another retelling...or an innovative new approach. Superman works!!! The technology is available for any one to make a great movie. We do need a new villian though and an additional love interest for Clark Kent. Otherwise we just need a great story with heart, humor and kick a*s action!!! Pick the guy who focuses on the above without messing up the ingredients of previous supermen films

• TheSilenced

Sep 25th 2010, 23:34

Inception is one of the top 3 recent films over the last 12 months or so. The others so far being Avatar and the Hurt Locker. The creativity and ingenuity that went into the plot of the story and the way it was scripted and told goes beyond anything done previously. Why are some of you even comparing it too the Matrix. Just cause its sci'fi don't mean that every one can be compared like for like. The matrix was a good film but it isnt even on the same level as Inception. The depth and craft of that film was genius with a stronger cast and all-round better performances. As for Superman; i really think its about time its laid to rest. Just making another shows how desperate the movie'producers are for new ideas. Why keep providing us the same old story over and over time and time again. We want new things, things that will excite us. Films like Tron Legacy and Skyline... sci-fi films with a slight difference. And if its the comic-book genre there going for then go for some Cult Classics... id love to see Nolan try his hand at refreshing something old that the younger generations may not know about. X-men, Batman, Superman are all comic books that everyone knows.. and sometimes its best to just let them be. hell yeah im excited to see what he can come up with for Batman 3.. personally hoping for a Harley storyline with a underpinning of the Riddler terrorising Bruce and Gotham City. If only too see Michael Caine portray Alfred so brilliantly.

• Arkhaminmate001

Sep 26th 2010, 14:52

I'd like to see Matt Reeves direct Superman, or maybe someone a little less mainstream like Aronofsky or Fincher, but Superman needs to by totally re thought as the T.V. series Smallvile did to its credit. I wouldn't want to see a batman moody style Superman movie if Nolan was connected as he's a very similar director to Bryan Singer, a clean and sterile approach, Superman should have the same mix of fun and excitement that the original with Christpher Reeve had. I don't think it's a good idea to have a director controlling another director, Nolan should just walk away and let someone else do their thing, i don't think he'd like someone else telling him how to make a movie. i was disappointed with Inception which seemed like a self indulgent movie made in an identical style to TDK - I'd like Nolan to finish his Batman trilogy and then return to more small scale movies, Memento is my fav' Nolan movie.

• DKnight1

Sep 27th 2010, 20:52

I hope Nolan “recommends” Reeves or Snyder. The others just don’t cut it IMO and Scott is past his prime! I wouldn’t be surprised if Jones gets the gig either, since Nolan may have a soft spot for smaller indie guys like him with no big time film experience. However, Jones has not proven himself enough yet. I think with Nolans’ producing and storytelling abilities mixed with Snyders’ visuals and intense action sequences would make for a DYNAMIC filmmaking team that can execute the type of Superman film we have been waiting to see for many years! Imagine the marketing for the The Man Of Steel film announcing: “From the Creators of the Batman Trilogy and the Director of 300 and Watchmen” Also, if Zack wants to take his filmmaking to the next level, then collaborating with a talent like Nolan is the way to go. A team of Goyer, the Nolans, and Snyder would be DYNAMIC! Those guys FTW!