Christina Hendricks says she'd like to play Wonder Woman

"I would do it in a heartbeat"

Director Nicolas Winding Refn has been tentatively attached to a Wonder Woman movie for some time now, and he previously stated that he'd like to have his Drive actress Christina Hendricks in the lead role.

Thankfully, it appears she'd be up for the role too, as she revealed when talking to Vulture recently.

When she was asked if she would be up for starring in Wonder Woman for Winding Refn, she said, "Sure! I grew up on the TV show, and I had Wonder Woman Underoos…

"And Nicolas said, when we were on set, 'I want you to be Wonder Woman.' And I think he is such an extraordinary and exceptional director, that if he asked me to do it, I would do it in a heartbeat."

Vulture mentioned the fact that Joss Whedon was keen on Hendricks when he was working on Wonder Woman, and Hendricks responded, "I'd like to think that Joss would have cast me! I also loved working with Joss [on Firefly]. I'm excited to see what he does with The Avengers.

"Hopefully the stars would align [for Wonder Woman]. It would be really fun. It would be cool, wouldn't it? I'd get to kick ass."

Asked if she'd want to bring Wonder Woman back to the dark, sexually liberated roots of the character, Hendricks replied, "Well, I would certainly do what Nicolas wanted to do, and I can only guess what his version would be, but as I grew up with and am now married to a comic book fan, I think it's important to be true to the original comic books, because I know that the fans love every detail and it's very important to them.

"So I think it would be cool to do that. I look forward to learning more about it, actually."

All this talk has got our hopes up about the idea of Winding Refn and Hendricks actually teaming up for this.

It's rare to find an actress who could fill Diana's costume amply and bring the required ballsiness to the role, and Winding Refn would no doubt have a uniquely edgy take on the potentially cheesy material.

Apparently, the landing the gig will depend on the success of his Logan's Run remake with Ryan Gosling, so can everyone make sure they go and see that please? Cheers.

Drive opens on 23 September. For the full interview with Hendricks, hit the link below.

Would you love to see Hendricks as Wonder Woman? Wish that Joss Whedon was still directing? Let us know!

Comments

• Tarantino3011

Sep 18th 2011, 17:55

That would be one SEXY Wonder Woman!!!!

Sep 18th 2011, 18:02

Pity her Uncle Jimi isnt around too see it..

• Murphy0806

Sep 18th 2011, 19:10

@tarantino3011. Just FYI. Any comments about Mrs Hendricks' appearance are not a good idea.

• ChrisWootton

Sep 18th 2011, 20:24

David? It's you isn't it?

• Murphy0806

Sep 18th 2011, 23:27

eh?

• 5thghostbuster

Sep 19th 2011, 1:01

While I realise I'm opening myself up to all kinds of abuse here, I think you'll find @dalibab they're thinking about doing Wonder Woman because she's in a superteam known as the Justice League. Same reason there'll probably be a new Batman film without Nolan and/or Bale after Dark Knight Rises. You can blame The Avengers.

• dantonfurney

Sep 19th 2011, 7:35

Can we just get a photo of Christina Hendricks in the Wonder Woman outfit and leave it at that?Then she and Winding Refn can get on with making good movies.

• ChrisWootton

Sep 19th 2011, 10:08

Murphy, was it you who got your first death threat the other day from david Lynch? I feel so special. MrBigDab... come on in your time is up

• ChrisWootton

Sep 19th 2011, 11:20

No you're right dalidab, your locked Twitter account has totally beaten me. Now would you stop attacking people and either A) Stick to film comments which I believe no-one will be reading anymore or B) just go away and leave us all alone.

• murphy

Sep 19th 2011, 17:30

Please choose option B and p!ss off you creepy fu(kwit.And why aren't we allowed to comment on how Christina Hendricks looks? When the slimy dalidab constantly drools over male actors and young boys! Oh and i think she's pretty hot.

• writerdave87

Sep 19th 2011, 23:32

Hey guys, do you want to see who you've been threatened by? http://twitter.com/#!/MrBigDab Bwahahahaha. Dalidab you're beyond a joke. You look even a bigger pillock in that photo than you did in your last one...

• writerdave87

Sep 20th 2011, 1:42

No, you're a fat little bald gay psychopath sitting in his mum's house playing a hard man behind his computer keyboard.

• ChrisWootton

Sep 20th 2011, 9:12

f**k off cretin

• trist808

Sep 20th 2011, 11:09

In my opinion, I think Hendricks would be an excellent choice as Wonder Woman. Not only is she a very beautiful lady, but she'd be great as Diana and would nail her character. She is an Amazon princess afterall with strong views and won't be intimidated by anyone ... I can see Hendricks in the role, look how she holds her own against the lads in Mad Men, I think she'd be great personally.

• Aberskene