Christopher Nolan in talks for Bond 24?

Is he about to step into Sam Mendes’ shoes?

Given his status as the world’s premiere director of large-scale event cinema, it was perhaps inevitable that Christopher Nolan would become linked to the vacant director’s chair on Bond 24, and sure enough, that’s exactly what’s happened.

The Daily Mail’s Baz Bamigboye reports that Nolan is in early talks with Bond bigwigs Barbara Broccoli and Michael G .Wilson, with a view to the director stepping into the position recently vacated by Sam Mendes.

Our instant reaction to this one would be that with Nolan embarking upon pre-production on his forthcoming sci-fi film Interstellar, the likelihood of him jumping straight into another hugely time-consuming property would seem slim.

However, Bamigboye was frequently on the money with his various scoops throughout Skyfall’s life-cycle, so it could well be the case that Broccoli and Wilson have at least sounded Nolan out about his potential availability.

It may be that they’re simply keen to get his take on where the Bond films might go next, with Nolan having previously declared himself a fan of the series.

We’d certainly love to see Nolan take on the franchise at some point in the future, so if Bond 24 turns out to be an episode too soon, hopefully Broccoli and Wilson will be able to pique his interest further down the track…

Would you like to see Nolan take on Bond 24? Tell us, below!

Comments

• davebe

May 17th 2013, 10:38

I like Nolan, I do. But WHY do we need him to bother with a Bond? There are so many other directors who could create an interesting Bond. I'd much rather he continue de-franchised and focused on creating some original films, which I think are his best films.

• SpideyLew

May 17th 2013, 11:09

"Source: The Daily Mail" - No truth in this then. You are a movie journalism company and you are getting you're information from a newspaper that can't even report news in a credible manner. Really?

• Mck123

May 17th 2013, 12:05

How will he fit Michael Caine in? I am sure he can horribly miscast Marion Coutillard and Tom Hardy in a role. Let me guess he will then turn Bond into a symbolic figure who the wimpy/smug JG-L can inherit the title of. Yep TDKR is top of my worst film of all time category. He managed to ruin his own Batman films by being to clever and pretentious for his own good, Nolan leave Bond alone now before you ruin any other franchise.

• t8cmf

May 17th 2013, 12:43

@Mck123, if you feel TDKR is the worst movie of all time then you really haven't watched a lot of movies.

• Mck123

May 17th 2013, 13:42

t8cmf - If you want a debate on the volume of movies I have watched that is fine. However I will put one caveat into my previous statement. I respected and admired all of Nolan's work up until TDKR, seeing all but Memento on the day of release. BB and TDK are two of my favorite films of all time so it pains me to make the comment above. However Nolan has lost a huge amount of credibility with TDKR in my opinion and I think he is suffering from hubris of the highest order. By the way any film that has the line "why don't you use your first name Robin?" in deserves to be removed from movie history I could list all the errors in the film from editing, pacing, storyline, acting, music through to the thematic inconsistency with the previous films and the Batman mythology but that is another debate. Like M. Night he runs the risk of becoming a cliche and a pretentious one at that.

• GarthMarenghi

May 17th 2013, 14:23

Poor old David Arnold. That'll be another couple of years (or ten if Nolan wants to do a 'trilogy') that he won't be asked to score a Bond film. We'll have to settle for some forgettable Hans Zimmer drum-loop synth-heavy bombast, and no Bond theme for the next decade. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Martin Campbell comeback.

• t8cmf

May 17th 2013, 14:33

@Mck123, that's fair enough. I don't have an issue with you hating TDKR. There are millions of people / fanboys the world over who hate TDKR and were very disappointed with it. I understand that, it's just saying that it is "the worst film of all time" is incredibly harsh. You must have seen a worse film in your lifetime. Have you not seen Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance? Ha ha.

• thedanieljson

May 17th 2013, 14:48

Nononononono, I'm sure this isn't true, but the very thought of Nolan doing Bond leaves me in a cold sweat. TDKR was over-blown and boring, and Nolan cannot direct coherent action to save his life. Get Mendes back PLEASE. Nolan should go back to smaller, intimate films, as Memento is still his best work by far.

• NickyC

May 17th 2013, 14:52

No way Nolan's doing Bond 24, not unless they delay Bond until his schedule is free. He's got to shoot and cut Interstellar first and that's going to keep him busy for the next year. Plus, a Bond movie takes 6 months just to shoot. Is Nolan going to finish and promote Interstellar, then get Bond done in less than a year? Don't feckin' think so.

May 17th 2013, 14:56

I would like to see Gareth Evans do a Bond movie. It .would. be. epic.

• michaeldo

May 17th 2013, 15:30

@thedanieljson: Sadly, Mendes said that's he not coming back to do Bond 24, I don't see the problem with Nolan directing Bond. Skyfall is just like how Nolan would do Bond. So I would welcome this if Nolan would do Bond.

• Mck123

May 17th 2013, 15:52

t8cmf - Not seen Ghost Rider I am afraid, 2012 at the cinema was shocking (apart from Skyfall, End of Watch and Rust & Bone), maybe TDKR will be my second worst film after seeing it! But I doubt it ...

May 17th 2013, 15:54

It's really frustrating how they approach Nolan when he's busy with Interstellar. If they can work out a schedule that would be great, Nolan will make a classic bond movie and Zimmer's score will be epic.

• GarthMarenghi

May 17th 2013, 16:03

You mean Zimmer's score will be epically nondescript, Ali? Yes, I agree with that spot-on assessment.

• Mck123

May 17th 2013, 16:10

Ali1748 - Obviously we won't be able to hear anything that is said under that epic Zimmer score though. My shout is for David Fincher - clean visual style, and the titles of Dragon Tattoo might as well have been a Bond title sequence.

May 17th 2013, 17:18

Yeah cause clearly David Fincher is on their shortlist.........

• jeffsolarzano

May 17th 2013, 18:21

Mck123 really needs to get a girlfriend but probably can't because he has a small p***s. Your opinion means s**t you lefty artistic d****e....

• beirut534

May 17th 2013, 20:31

I surprised to hear this news. It'll be interesting to see what this new film will be like if he signs on to direct.

May 17th 2013, 23:47

The scenes from Inception with Tom Hardy in the snow felt like an homage to the early bond movies.

• businesstools

May 18th 2013, 1:10

Excuse me EVERYONE , but I think Nolan is the ONLY mind suited to the Bond series. What was the reason that Batman Begins was slow and moody ? What was the reason the Dark Knight and the Joker was fabulous ? What was the reason that the Dark Knight Rises sacrificed the plots for a better ending for Bruce Wayne ? Nolan tries to stay as realistic and logical/rational. Now what is James Bond ? He is a mortal super spy who uses his human abilities to go where no man has reached before ? The gadgets in the Batman Trilogy ? They were subject to real life Physics . The villains and the thrill ? They all have to be very strong and accomplished personalities whom no hero can stop . So Nolan did mess the thrills in TDKR , but it only proved that he did not want to use magic to supersede the Joker or to show Batman as some superman who can rise from his ashes. And the very reason Nolan himself says that hes a fan of the Bond series is because Nolan himself realizes that the gadgets and action which he is fond of suits more to a ordinary human protagonist as compared to the sort of powers fans want to see associated with their comic superheroes. Like Ras Al Ghul , Nolan can give the British Secret Service a villain to reckon with.

• batt101

May 18th 2013, 4:50

Personally I couldn't care less, think Nolan and Bond are both over rated. Is it just me that thought Skyfall was just another mediocre Bond movie? Although if it stops everyone speculating about Star Wars and JJ for even a second then that's got to be a good thing, right?

• OM999

May 18th 2013, 6:07

I agree with batt101. They dropped the ball on Skyfall, too corny. You have to think they got worked up by the anniversary and tried to retrospect the style. The first two Daniel Craig stories had a cool edge to them, a gravity that disappeared on Skyfall. Having said that Javier Bardem brought forward all his powers for his main scenes. No one says it's easy to put these things together but maybe Christopher Nolan could bring some of the darkness and edge to the next 007 story.

• batt101

May 18th 2013, 8:16

She would never agree but how about Kathryn Bigelow?

• FightforKandor

May 18th 2013, 13:39

I liked Skyfall a lot, yet I can't help wanting Nolan to stick to his own ideas. Inception is one of my favourite movies and I can't wait to see what Interstellar delivers.

• apex1701

May 18th 2013, 14:59

Nolan is clearly talented. However, I think he is doing a disservice to his talent and his legacy by continuing to work with cartoon-like material. He needs to do some dramas, art films, personal films, etc., something that reflects real life. I read about a year ago, he was going to do a biopic of Howard Hughes. What happened to that? That would have been a breath of fresh air. Now it's been announced he might be doing a sci-fi film and then a Bond film? Chris. Listen. Stop with the junk and go and make something that reflects real life!

May 18th 2013, 15:58

Nolan makes the movies he wants to so take your dramas, art films and biopics and stick them where the sun don't shine. Inception was completely original it was Nolan's own creation.

• ramprasad

May 18th 2013, 16:21

It would be great to see how Nolan does his story telling ...in BOND series......he will have to be a bit constrained with his creations as this is a franchise running on one main story line ....but then also it would be great to watch Nolan sitting on Director's chair for BOND 24..........

• GarthMarenghi

May 18th 2013, 17:16

Inception was original in the sense that it wasn't a remake or an adaptation of a comic, book, play or videogame. But if you've seen 80s movie Dreamscape you've already seen Inception. Great cinematography and effects, though.

• mcmac1010

May 18th 2013, 17:30

@jeffsolarzano ouch!

• mcmac1010

May 18th 2013, 17:32

Nolan is great at what he does, but I can't see him working in the constraints that Bond would bring. And he would want to make for a Bond that would be too dark for the typical Bond audience.

• apex1701

May 19th 2013, 1:23

INCEPTION was a good film, but ultimately just pulp material at best, and hardly original. STAR TREK, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, THE OUTER LIMITS, TOTAL RECALL, plus the works of Philip K. Dick and many other sources I could mention, have done that dream concept more than you obviously know, but that wasn't my point. It's still just reworked genre material and frankly pretty silly stuff. Great filmmakers like KUBRICK, SPIELBERG, ALTMAN, and many more I could name, did their share of pulp material, but they also produced serious work that reflect life and reality, which was my point. If Nolan wants to be looked at as an artist of quality and versatility, he needs to open himself up to different kinds of material, and not just junk.

• jejudo80

May 19th 2013, 11:54

Nolan please leave the franchises and comics alone. Do some original stuff like Moon or the upcoming Gravity or District 9. Because thats where you will shine. Your talent gets lost in franchises in too much control from studios and ready to go materials. I am sure if you do that your best movies are yet to make.

May 19th 2013, 20:12

Interstellar is an original movie though, seriously do you haters even pay attention ?

• gimmesumsuga

May 20th 2013, 0:48

Such a shame Spielberg is no longer directing Interstellar. I'd much rather he were doing stuff like that than Robopocalypse.