Christopher Nolan's Interstellar gets a new logo

Back to black

The promotional push for Christopher Nolan's Interstellar is finally up and running, with the launch of a new logo for the film online.

Warner and Paramount have also launched an official website over at InterstellarMovie.com, although that URL only leads to a 404 message in the UK at present. One to keep an eye on…

As for the logo itself, it looks suitably classy, and places the film squarely in the arena of "grown-up" sci-fi. Largely because it's black and white, you understand.

The new film will follow a crew of intergalactic explorers, whose latest mission brings them into contact with a wormhole through which the possibility of time travel is raised…

Directed by Nolan and co-starring Matthew McConaughey, Jessica Chastain and Anne Hathaway, Interstellar will open in the UK on 7 November 2014. Watch out for a first trailer arriving with The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug...

What do you think of the new logo? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Mck123

Dec 12th 2013, 10:56

Hopefully he redeems himself after the massive disappointment of The Dark Knight Rises which failed in all departments especially the weak script and terrible plotting. Hopefully Nolan is actually interested in making Interstellar he clearly could not be bothered with the ending of The Batman trilogy. I don't care what IMDB or supposedly "professional" reviewers say it just plain awful and I could spend hours tearing it apart. I have seen all of Nolan films first day and will this one, but my patience was sorely tested last time around. All of his other films have been outstanding so hopefully TDKR was made to have free reign on this film (as per Inception after TDK).

• CharsmatcEngma

Dec 12th 2013, 11:10

@mck, so people who review movies for a living as well as millions of people throughout the world who enjoyed and even loved the movie, are ALL just wrong, FACT!? Are we all idiots for thinking it was a fun movie? Are you smarter, and funnier, and wiser than all of us put together? Just because you supposedly didn't enjoy it doesn't make everyone else wrong, dick.

• Mck123

Dec 12th 2013, 11:30

Clearly I am smarter, funnier and wiser than your last comment - "dick" - The art of argument is not dead it is living and doing well with Mr CharsmatcEngma. TDKR was for Emo Teenagers and I have only met two people who went to see it who "loved" it, most were dissappointed, underwhelmed or just plain bemused by its stupidity. It would have been laughed off the screen if it did not have Nolan's name on it. "Why don't you use your first name Robin" - Surely that would have been an appropriate time to use the name Dick. Atrocious, pathetic and downright insulting to all true Bat fans. I bet you are supporting Affleck?

• CharsmatcEngma

Dec 12th 2013, 12:08

The fact you think you're smart, funnier and wiser than anyone makes you dick. Your argument was that you are right and anyone who disagrees with your opinion is wrong. That makes you dick as well, so yes, you are a dick. And here we go, the true bat fans comment that "true bat fans" like to throw at people, again it's as if your trying prove you have the right to dislike it because you're a "true bat fan" and your opinion somehow holds more weight than somone who is knew to the DC Universe. Bollocks. And it's people like you who put people off getting into the Comic world by acting like a spoilt b*****d if you don't like something. By all means dislike it, but don't tell me i'm a fool for thinking it was pretty good. And yes, i will support Affleck, Why shouldn't i? It's better to give him a chance and see what he does before commenting, rather than clearly being the whiny b***h you are and complaining because yet again YOU don't think it's right therefore the whole world should stop until you get what you want. The reason i will support Affleck is, like a lot of people, i was unsure of Ledger being Joker, although again i was willing to wait and see but i had doubts, and that performance alone taught me to never judge until its on screen. Affleck deserves the chance to prove he can do it before people p**s on his chips. Clearly you don't and won't agree with that, so therefore i am wrong, so i'm sure you can disregard this whole comment.

• chibik

Dec 12th 2013, 12:17

I found TDKR disappointing, but I'm not gonna be a dick about it.

• mpg20

Dec 12th 2013, 12:44

@CharsmatcEngma you cant see but I'm applauding, sick of keyboard warriors like Mck123 denouncing movies because people dare to have an opinion that doesn't line up with their own

• Mck123

Dec 12th 2013, 12:45

ChrasmatcEngma - No need to be so angry? What I have come to realise is that fans of TDKR can only defend it by becoming really offensive and really obnoxious. It is almost as if you are in self denial about the film and you have to lash out at people. I really like Chris Nolan his films have been brilliant up to and including Inception but he just dropped it George Lucas style on the last one. You may have enjoyed it and I pleased you did, for me it was the biggest disappointment and most unpleasant experience I have ever had in the cinema for a film that had such high expectations. I sympathise with your view but you may just have to accept DC and WB are playing catch up to Marvel now which is a real shame as they had the edge after TDK, MOS was a bit rubbish and they are throwing the kitchen sink at the sequel. It may work but I don't have the confidence in it I had back in 2008 when TDK ending on such an amazing and intriguing end. Which TDKR promptly ignored with its 8 years after plot - Don't get me started on that (yes I know Nolan did not want to mention the Joker in honour of Ledger). On Affleck... c'mon we all know it should have been Josh Brolin or Bale again. Getting back to Interstellar I really like the new logo...Hopefully Nolan is back on track...

• vickilove

Dec 12th 2013, 13:16

Back to the question at hand: the logo. Its classy and elegant. As you mention it has the black and white touch for a more adult feel. Space is also mostly black and white so I am assuming the logo is giving the idea of the vast blackness of space and the white being the wormhole or whatever they call the quantum string to spark our interest. The shades of grey, where color arises, will of course be the people and their emotions. Looking forward to a Nolan film more like Inception than Batman. Nolan is a thinker and all mature scifi has depth of thought at its foundation. Just my own opinion.

• Mck123

Dec 12th 2013, 13:16

C'mon MPG20 films are there to be liked or disliked, I like Oliver Stone's Alexander and Mann's Miami Vice but these get panned by some people and were even on this website top 50 most disappointing films list. I don't sit there calling people d***s because they don't happen to like them While I am it what about all those "Keyboard Warriors" threatening citics on the release of TDKR because they gave it a justifiably negative review now. Now that is behaviour that can't be supported.

• QuietLife

Dec 12th 2013, 13:18

Isn't this report about Interstellar not TDKR? I must be confused. Either way, despite that the final part of the Dark Knight trilogy was the weakest (although still an amazing movie) of the three, I cannot wait to see how Nolan tackles Sci-fi. Memento is a true masterpiece and I'm intrigued as to how he'll approach the "inner" element of outer-space. No spoilers/info/news etc. please TF!

• CharsmatcEngma

Dec 12th 2013, 13:26

I'm not angry, i'm just sick of people like you who think you always right and anyone who doesn't think like you is always wrong. It's a pathetic and angry way to view life. I have absolutely no problem with you disliking the movie, and yes i know it is not perfect, but clearly as a "true bat fan" you went into the movie with a view on how it should go and the movie didn't do what you thought, therefore you dislike it, but that's your fault for your own preconceptions, not the movies fault. MOS was good if not great, it had to be a new updated take on a very old and somewhat stale character, and i thought it did it's job very well, but again i agree it was far from perfect. And even with MOS2 im very disappointed that Gal Gadot has been cast as Wonder Woman (waaayyy to skinny for a supposed Amazonian woman) but i shall retain the hope she brings the character to life in a new way. And i disagree about the Intersteller logo, it just reminds of the The Dark Knight Rises lol :-P

• QuietLife

Dec 12th 2013, 13:27

Dalidab?

• CharsmatcEngma

Dec 12th 2013, 13:33

@quiet, jeysus theres a name from days of yore, i had totally forgotten about him lol

• gquinn81

Dec 12th 2013, 13:39

It looks like a line of cocaine to me. Maybe Nolan's tricked us all and this is actually a film about some blokes on a bender. They get into the Stellas (geddit?) first and then move onto the harder stuff...

Dec 12th 2013, 13:46

PLease don't be another Prometheus.

• Mck123

Dec 12th 2013, 13:54

Do you know what I am not sure what ChrasmatcEngma is trying to say. He is defending my view to say that TDKR is rubbish, but actually if I do say it he is going to call me a D**K? Hey that is the internet for you all logic goes out the window. Getting back to Interstellar I am also curious to what the impact Wally Pfister leaving will have? (Maybe it was time for WP to branch out and his Transcendence project looks promising). Although the new guy looks good in the DP department.

• CharsmatcEngma

Dec 12th 2013, 14:20

Dick, i mean Mck, please don't try to make me look stupid due your own inability to understand a sentence. I'll try one last time and hopefully you will actually read the words on the screen in the order they were written and try to understand what I mean. It's pretty damn clear in my comments above that my problem is not with you disliking the movie, but that fact that you think only your opinion matters and anyone who liked the movie was wrong in enjoying it. Simple enough for you? ~*End Transmission*~

• mpg20

Dec 12th 2013, 14:47

@Mck123 at what point did I defend people who threatened critics? My annoyance comes from people like yourself who, because you personally don't like a film, deem it unsuitable for anyone else to like. My comment made no reference to my own opinions on The Dark Knight Rises. My comment wasn't in support of the film, but of the point that CharsmatcEngma is making

• Mck123

Dec 12th 2013, 14:54

CharmatcEngma-Nope you were not that clear just seemed like the rant of a Man who likes to call people D***s Because they have a different views to the masses and (I guess more importantly for your ego) yourself and are happy to express it - I call your argument hypocrisy.

• Mck123

Dec 12th 2013, 15:14

mpg20 - No you said you were feed up with people "denouncing movies because people dare to have an opinion that doesn't line up with their own". Surely that is what happens when you watch a film. You make an opinion. I was saying that my opinion is in complete contrast to the Critics and the over inflated Hype. For which I have been called a D**k. I never said anyone else should not like it and I am pleased a lot of people do. Getting back to Interstellar for all the people not interested in this bickering I am really looking forward to it.

Dec 12th 2013, 15:20

Hold am I gonna let you finish but The Dark Knight Rises was one of the best movies of all time!

• pdanyluk

Dec 12th 2013, 15:27

Just to throw a curveball... I have no shame in admitting that I enjoyed Green Lantern.

• Mck123

Dec 12th 2013, 15:35

Be careful pdanyluk mpg20 and Charismafaliure may attack you because you have dared to have a view that differs to the critics or the majority!

• CharsmatcEngma

Dec 12th 2013, 15:45

@Pdany, i agree GL was fun, just wish it did better in the cinemas for a sequel so they could of done something a bit better. Although a John Stewart remake would be cool.

• mpg20

Dec 12th 2013, 15:47

@Mck123 misses the point spectacularly. The difference is that in saying they like Green Lantern pdanyluk hasn't simultaneously condemned anyone else for not liking it

• Mck123

Dec 12th 2013, 16:45

I am not the one condemning people by calling them a d**k for saying they have a different view to IMDb rating or the Critics. as per Charisma original vitriolic tirade.

• Mattsimus

Dec 12th 2013, 16:56

W...T......F???? Seriously Ladies / Gents have you even just read the entire argument / conversation above? Im not here to take sides but seriously lets all get back to the fact we are all supposed to be fans of film, we aren't always going to agree with all said opinions and the fact we are still angrily debating TDKR means some ppl are still Unhappy? Either way Mck123, I appreciate your opinion but others are allowed to disagree and like it! There is also many attempts during the above conversation that indicate they are trying to move away from the argument and get on with commenting on the Interstellar logo e.g *END TRANSMISSION*..... know what I mean? so don't keep it going, now bk on point nice, subtle, classy logo, looking ahead to the film, although will be cautious as for me Nolan is a mixed bag of tricks that taste of Marmite!!!!! Meaning I loved The prestige, didnt like Memento, was unsure of Inception, loved Begins, loved TDK and still to this day are undecided regarding TDKR..... however my thoughts on the last one are always mainly positive :) enjoy life everybody and remember I love you and will anticipate hate mail lol XMX

• pdanyluk

Dec 12th 2013, 16:56

... However, on the other side of the coin, I have no love for the Fantastic Four movies.

• numsey

Dec 12th 2013, 17:46

The poster is classy and neat in structure and tone, evoking a certain 'mexican lucky' cocaine aesthetic that sets a more refined cinematic tone and experience.

• SiMan

Dec 12th 2013, 18:19

They usually release a trailer not long after the official logo is announced, so hopefully we'll get one soon. I just wish we could go back to the days of seeing a new trailer on the big screen first before it is released online. It kind of spoils it a bit for me, not having that excitement of not knowing what film it is actually a trailer for

• Mattsimus

Dec 12th 2013, 18:54

@siman...... I think they are due to release a trailer before the Desolation of smaug :)

• Seedorf

Dec 12th 2013, 19:29

I like the logo, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this film. For me, Nolan hasn't made a bad film yet. As for his previous effort TDKR, trying to top TDK was always going to be a tall order. I thought TDKR was a great film, but as for those that didn't like it, well that's their choice. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As much as I liked TDK films, I do prefer his films that haven't involved a man dressed in black armour with a cowl, so here's hoping Interstellar will be just as brilliant as Memento, The Prestige and Inception.

Dec 12th 2013, 20:49

Just the thought of Nolan working with Mathew McC.._excites me.

• jwolf

Dec 12th 2013, 21:46

I loved the Dark Knight Rises!

Dec 13th 2013, 0:39

I quite liked TDKR, things but I did not like . 1) Why wait until Bane speaks to remove the bag? 2) Why lead ALL of Gothams police force underground? 3) The pit-hole has a nearby ATM and change of clothes? 4) You spend hours making a bat sign out of gasoline, instead of like... I dunno ...being 'the hero this city deserves?' 5) You fight better with a half mended back now? 6) Fake your own death but forget about international media and people with camera phones? Other than that, I still liked it..Tom Hardy was great fun "Do you FEEL in charge?"

• thedanieljson

Dec 13th 2013, 1:09

I'm by no means a Nolan fan. The only 2 films of his I can really say I truly enjoyed are TDK and Memento. His work just always leaves me feeling a bit cold; they're efficiently made, sure, but rarely emotionally powerful in my eyes. TDKR in my opinion really was an utter disaster too, for many many reasons. BUT I like the sound of Interstellar. And that logo is hella sexy. I'm just waiting for him to release a blinder that actually resonates with me, not just a high-concept idea with a story wrapped around it, a la Inception. (Sorry if I offend anyone, he just ain't my kind of director)

• SiMan

Dec 13th 2013, 14:18

@thedanieljson, i wouldn't count The Prestige as a high concept idea. If i wasn't such a big comic fan, i would probably rate that higher than the first 2 bat films.

• jman500

Mar 9th 2014, 20:51

@Hadouken76 I really agree with you. It was a great movie, but it didn't make that much sense