Christopher Nolan talks Batman 3

How to follow the best sequel ever made...

Christopher Nolan Batman 3

Christopher Nolan has confirmed he will follow this summer’s Inception with the much-anticipated Batman 3.

Speculation as to how Nolan can possibly follow The Dark Knight - which brought Nolan both a $1 billion dollar gross and the status of comic-book adap king - has been rife ever since, yet Nolan suggested that planning was well under way:

“We know we're aiming for 2012. That's been talked about. We're just working on the script, really. My brother has been hard at work on it for quite some time.”

That Jonathan Nolan has returned to help pen the sequel will be good news to those with high expectations for what will be the franchise finale, but of greater interest will be plot specifics – namely the character details.

Thus far Johnny Depp, Robin Williams and Joseph Gordon-Levitt have been linked to The Riddler, though given Nolan’s penchant for the gritty it is hard to see Williams being given a shot. The choice of villain is also far from certain.

Indeed, Nolan’s insistence that the third film of the series will be the last poses a new set of questions regarding the makeup of Batman 3.

Will the Riddler have time to impose himself on the trilogy sufficiently so as to provide a suitable finale for the franchise? If not, surely no villain from the comic book series stands a chance – has Nolan gained the right to invent his own characters?

And what of that other franchise reboot? Nolan’s long-held wish to helm a Superman reinvention is no secret, but given his immanent re-immersion into all things Gotham, another return of Superman now seems a very long way away.

Thoughts? Comment below...

Total Film on Facebook

Comments

• badblokebob

Jun 28th 2010, 18:25

Yeah, I can't imagine Nolan would ever cast Robin Williams in any of his films, would he.

• BiDDY

Jun 28th 2010, 18:43

He was quite good in Insomnia, which was a Nolan Film.

• mskippy

Jun 28th 2010, 18:44

I could see Robin Williams surprising us all and pulling something really gritty out of the bag. Look at his work in Death to Smoochy and One Hour Photo.

• Toddeluxe

Jun 29th 2010, 0:30

In response to the long way off chance of a new Superman film, I'm quite happy to wait. I'd rather have a great film than another run of the mill job that would bury the franchise even deeper in development hell.

• HarleyquinnLove

Jun 29th 2010, 0:41

I think that the only reason Johnny Depp would be good for the riddler is because he is a chamellion...he blends into any part he is going to play. he plays them all very well. but...i think i read or watched an interview with Johnny saying that he would never do a batman film. I COULD BE WRONG SO DONT QUOTE ME. I think he would do really well. I think its hard because i dont imagine the riddler being super old looking...like aged...i dont imagine an actor who looks 50. someone who is older but doesnt necessarily look it is what i see.

• koolerking

Jun 29th 2010, 4:05

Im just going to throw this out there. If Nolan thinks the single and last film of the franchise is to short to bring in a new character (riddler) then im thinking he'll finish off by going back to one that has been covered. You know who im talking about and who on the above list of possible actors could play it. I'd say that actors rumored involvement could be a smokescreen for the real reason.

• mrsmiawallace

Jun 29th 2010, 7:46

^you mean Joseph Gorson-Levitt bringing The Joker back? I'm a huge JGL fan and think he's one of the the most talented actors of his generation, but I just don't think you can go there, Heath was too good and emulating his performance from TDK would be in bad taste. The only way around this I can think of is if The Joker is seen as a symbol, rather than a person. This means that there could be several incarnations of The Joker, that anyone could play him in whatever way they wanted as long as the character remained juxtaposed to Batman's values, as long as the character represented anarchy. I think that's the only way around the issue of bringing The Joker back. But saying that, I do think it will be The Riddler in Batman 3 - don't really mind who plays the part as long as it's good!!

• tummidge

Jun 29th 2010, 9:29

Johnny Depp wouldn't want to do it as he's best chums with Tim Burton - who made the original Batman films. PLus Burton probably has another thoroughly average project for him to star in. There could be a lot to fit in to this third movie, but I have faith in Chris and Jonah Nolan. Joker won't be back as Nolan has too much respect for Heath. As for Superman Chris Nolan has only be brought on board to guide the project to fruition. I reckon Jonah will work on that script as well. But might not be as long as thought as the Superman rights return to the creators' families in 2013.

• tummidge

Jun 29th 2010, 9:33

Johnny Depp won't do it as he wouldn't want to offend Tim Burton. No way Joker will be back as Nolan has too much respect for Heath Ledger. A lot to go on in third film as Batman will begin as the enemy of Gotham City. I see a plot where the villain sets out to take Batman's heroic crown and use it for dastardly deeds, but I am probably most definitely wrong! Also Superman needs to be made before some point in 2013 when the Superman rights return to the creators' families. Nolan is only in on a guidance thing, so he maybe won't contribute as much to that, but rumour is his brother will script and possibly direct it.

• nathanjon

Jun 29th 2010, 12:50

Definite long shot - Dark Knight Returns?

• Ozweego

Jun 29th 2010, 15:15

Considering how TDK ended, one can only assume that we are introduced to a new "Hero" this time around. I am unfamiliar with the source material, perhaps there is a character already like this in the DC universe. Someone who comes on board to find and capture the now wanted Batman. As someone mentioned above, perhaps this "hero" becomes overwhelmed with his/her new found power and fame and falls from the heroic path and into villainy. Thoughts???

• pdanyluk

Jun 29th 2010, 15:25

The Joker is still alive and therefore needs to exist within Nolan's next Batman movie. I believe to not have The Joker as a main/secondary villain in the trilogy closer would be an insult to the ground work that the great late Heath Ledger created in TDK. Heath Ledger made the role his own granted, but it should not be taken to the grave with him. His performance and his take on the Joker should be honoured. I strongly believe this role should be taken on by an actor that can not only portray the Joker but portray Heath Ledger's Joker. We don't need another take on the character but the same character from TDK. Joseph Gordon-Levitt should be set to task.

• Rickie-Balboa

Jun 29th 2010, 15:43

Is nobody thinking that Robin may be introduced as a redemptive charector. Chris Nolan may have said that he wasn't interested in bringing him in but it may have a good payoff, Joseph Gordon-Levitt would play a troubled sidekick very well I think. Just a thought

Jun 29th 2010, 19:49

Tim Roth as Deadshot or The Riddler and Alfred dies in this one (old age).

• agentblackacid

Jun 29th 2010, 19:59

Sorry, Rickie-Balboa, but no self respecting fan of Batman wants to see Robin, who was quite possibly the worst move ever in the mythology of The 'Dark' Knight. Batman isn't a 'superhero'. If we're going down that route we may as well get Joel Schumacher to direct and have George Clooney play Batman. He does not belong in the Batman universe. As for The Joker, batman-on-film (who have sources close to the Nolan Batman camp) have indicated that he will not be returning even though a story arc had been planned. This is due to the feelings people have for Heath Ledger, it would be too painful for them, which is a shame as I kinda agree with pdanyluk on that front. I just think they're too scared of ruining the franchise, which is a good thing as it was that fear that created The Dark Knight.

• agentblackacid

Jun 29th 2010, 20:01

*...and by ruining the franchise I mean the Nolan camp feels replacing Heath Ledger with another actor is a big risk they do not want to take.

• itchy

Jun 29th 2010, 20:53

anyone else thinking what i'm thinking? lets put superman in the next batman film?? hmmm? hmmm? nevermind...

• nathanjon

Jun 30th 2010, 8:51

Well ya - why do you think I mentioned Dark Knight Returns - gives an ideal reason to recast most of the other roles though (although Two-Face would be problematic)- can never see it happening though!

• davidleach2000

Jul 2nd 2010, 13:09

Robin wouldn't work in Nolan's Batman universe, the first villain he came into contact with would kill him stone dead, also Bruce Wayne adopting a ward would send the media into a frenzy and they'd quickly put two and two together. The only way the Riddler would work in that world would be as a deranged serial killer leaving cryptic clues. Please lord spare us from another Jim Carey style version. And since Two-Face is dead, we won't be getting any more of him! What worries me is: A. The expectations we all have for it, if we're not careful we're going to be disappointed. B. That the studio will interfere like Sony did with Spider-man 3 and demand Nolan puts in too many unneeded and unwanted villains.

• Benmorse

Jul 2nd 2010, 15:44

I've been saying JGL as the Riddler since Ledger died - he's a natural fit. He can of course re-interpret the character. No one outside the films knows how much was directorial intent, and how much was performer. Although his role as an anarchist is written as part of the script, so, y'know - it shouldn't be too hard. There are all sorts of ways around it. With Gotham needing a new hero, I'd like to see a Nolan take on Catwoman, who has trodden the line between vigilante and villain throughout the comics. A returning Joker, Catwoman, and a very minor Riddler / Mr. Freeze (yes, I'm serious - re-interpret, cast someone good - the basic premise of the character is great) and you've got a winner. I don't think he'll be allowed to kill the Bat off - the Studio will ask for a lighter end, I would imagine.

• Scurf

Jul 2nd 2010, 15:47

Nolan has previously stated this installment will end his story. I'm assuming he means that batman will redeem himself and become an accepted element of Gotham city rather than being hunted as we saw at the end of the dark knight. The one villain who has been habitually ignored, and maltreated is the one guy who came closest to destroying batman; Bane. 'knightfall' would be a fantastic end to nolans arc, with a suitably dark ending, leaving another helmer to pick up and tell the story of batmans 'resurrection' a few years later.

• herosthroe

Jul 3rd 2010, 0:41

One thing I've learned with Chris Nolan is "Expect the Unexpected!" I've got a strong feeling that he'll do the total opposite to what everyone thinks...! I believe The Joker and Two Face will not return- again thanks to B.O.F. sources- but as to who will feature in B3 or what angle the story will take? Not a clue- and for the moment I like it that way... I would personally like to see an ending similar to what "Scurf" mentions above- Batman being redeemed and "chosen" by the city to be its eternal guardian... However Team Nolan decides to do Batman 3- I trust them 100%

• atlearbuds

Jul 4th 2010, 5:47

I feel like they should do something with Harley Quinn tring to get revenge at Batman for killing the Joker.

• fl1xst3r

Jul 6th 2010, 19:54

best thing to do is wait for the surprise of nolans genius, so far he has provided the audience with many outstanding qualities from christian bale and heath ledger(rip) the performances were out of this world, and the rest of the supporting cast doi it justice