Chronicle sequel on the way

Max Landis signs on to write Chronicle 2

Chronicle performed well at the box office and was met with critical acclaim across the board, so it should come as no surprise to learn that Fox are anxious to press ahead with a sequel as soon as possible.

That process is already up and running, with Deadline reporting that original screenwriter Max Landis has already signed on to draft a follow-up script to the super-powered saga.

Released back in February, Chronicle told the story of a trio of teens who suddenly find themselves sporting a host of super-powers. Naturally, it isn’t long before their abilities lead them seriously astray, with one member of the group developing one hell of a God complex…

The film’s worldwide gross has already topped $100 million, which is why the creative team are such hot property at the moment. Indeed, it was only yesterday that director Josh Trank was reported to be in talks to take on Sony’s Spider-Man spin-off, Venom.

Just how the sequel will follow on from the events of Chronicle remains to be seen, but the retention of Landis is a good sign that the film will maintain the same sharp dialogue and tight plotting of the original. Another super-franchise in the making? You’d better believe it.

Are you keen for another round of Chronicle? Tell us, below.

Comments

• thanerosse

Mar 8th 2012, 10:52

Well I'm not surprised at least. There were quite a few unanswered questions at the end of the last film, and (without spoiling too much) the fact that the fates of certain characters aren't spelled out made this one pretty inevitable. That doesn't mean I think it's a good idea though...

• MikeyRix

Mar 8th 2012, 12:22

I loved the ambiguity of "Chronicle"; one of the things that absolutely made the film for me. Leave it as is! Ugghh >.

• FBJRider

Mar 8th 2012, 13:37

Well I'm guessing the second one will follow Matt being followed by the government or something, hopefully the budget will be bigger this time and won't be a found footage type film

• StevePotter

Mar 8th 2012, 19:47

I agree with Mikey. I'll see it, and it'll probably be good, but I don't know. "Chronicle" was really good on its own. Does it NEED a sequel?

• StevePotter

Mar 8th 2012, 19:47

• marc96

Mar 8th 2012, 20:44

aww damn.. why not leave a very good/original movie alone. this kind of reminds me of the hangover, an original movie comes out and does well and they realise its a way to make money and drag the title through the mud ~ (although i didnt mind hangover 2 but you get the point lol)