Colin Farrell smoulders in first official Total Recall image

Strikes a pose as hero Quaid

total recall

The first official shot from the Colin Farrell-led Total Recall reboot has been loaded up online.

A remake of the much-loved 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi, this new Total Recall uses the same Philip K Dick story (We Can Remember It For You Wholesale), but updates it for a modern audience.

Farrell plays factory worker Doug Quaid, who finds out that he’s really an undercover spy. But is he working for Euromerica or enemy New Shanghai?

This first image doesn’t exactly sell the remake as anything particularly noteworthy just yet, even if Farrell is pulling his best action man scowl.

If anything, it recalls the scene in the Arnie version when Quaid attempts to get through Mars’ security.

Hopefully the next pic from the film will reveal Bryan Cranston as Recall’s villain. Now that really should be something.

See the full image below...

Total Recall opens 22 August 2012.

Totally cool? Or totally boring? What do you think of the first shot from the reboot? Shove us your reactions below...

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Jul 15th 2011, 9:38

Smouldering? Got a bit of crush Mr WInning? I watched the original the other night, how can I put this?.... Paul Verhoeven or Len WIseman? Hmmmm, tough one. Wiseman has done amazing work with turning everything he touches into s**t and Verhoeven made Robocop... nuff said

Jul 15th 2011, 10:16

MODERN AUDIENCES DONT NEED UPDATES, THEY LOVE THE ORIGINALS AND THINK THE REMAKES ARE A BARREL OF SUCK... Sorry, but somethings really grind my gears... in the good ol' days Arnie would make paper mache out of the bad guys heads, now we have heroes who run away like little girls...

• murphy

Jul 15th 2011, 11:09

Are there no original thoughts left in hollywood? why do they have to keep making these remakes/reboots/re-imaginings or whatever the f**k they want to call them! and colin farrell instead of arnie! next you'll be telling me that james macavoy is playing john nada in the remake of they live and jessica alba is playing robocop. Stop f*****g with the films i grew up watching and loving!

• ChrisWootton

Jul 15th 2011, 11:38

I've got nothing against remakes to be honest. I just despair because they are always s**t. Dawn of the Dead was the only one that I liked. It always seem's to be just a quick rehash of the original with nothing remotely exciting or new. I see it as such a waste of time

• trist808

Jul 15th 2011, 12:00

I don't mind remakes as long as there's a point to making them (other than money Mr Hollywood Suit!!!) Offer a different take on the story and it's worth while, otherwise what's the point?. Dawn Of The Dead is a great example of a good solid remake, it manages to offer something new while not dis-respecting the original and felt fresh and was interesting and entertaining. This take of the K. Dick story is supposedly going to be very different from the original Total Recall but I'm not so sure, so far it's not inspiring me or getting me excited to see it, hopefully a decent trailer might change my mind ... or it's pop-the-original-in-the-Blu-Ray-player time come next August.

• ilikescifi

Jul 15th 2011, 14:28

I THINK THIS IS AWESOME. The original film was a great, but cheesy hollywood interpretation of the original story. this version looks more faithful, and relocates the story to a blade-runner-esque world. nice.

• writerdave87

Jul 15th 2011, 22:35

Agreed. I think that one shot already looks better than the Arnie film. Don't get me wrong, I love total recall. But it's not aged all that well. A minority-report-esque blade runner noir version could be awesome.

Jul 15th 2011, 23:20

They better included the lady with three breasts.