Composer John Barry has died aged 77

Oscar-winner passes away in New York

Composer John Barry has died of a heart attack in New York. He was 77 years old.

The Oscar-winner is perhaps best remembered for his association with the James Bond series, working on the Dr No score with Monty Norman, before going on to provide the music for 11 further Bond films, including From Russia With Love and Goldfinger.

Some of his best-known scores outside of the Bond franchise include Zulu, Midnight Cowboy, The Lion in Winter, Born Free, Out of Africa and Dances with Wolves.

Throughout his career, Barry took home five Oscars, and was honoured with a Bafta fellowship in 2005. He was awarded an OBE in 1999 for services to music.

David Arnold, who is the current Bond composer, reacted to the news via Twitter: "I am profoundly saddened by the news but profoundly thankful for everything he did for music and for me personally."

Barry is survived by his wife Laurie, his four children and five grandchildren. Our sympathies go out to them today.

Do you have a favourite John Barry score? Share your memories below.

Comments

• juliusbond47

Jan 31st 2011, 14:01

This is another day the music died! He was the best of the best. Thank you JB for the great moments your music gave to my life. Rest in peace

• autie

Jan 31st 2011, 14:26

I'm very sorry he has gone. I have many of his sountracks in heavy rotation on my Ipod. My favorite would be Zulu! Thanks so much John for all the great music...we will miss you.

• Meiram

Jan 31st 2011, 16:07

Truly the dean of film music, John Barry will remain in our hearts as one of the finest composers of all time. Thank you, Sir, for all the music you created and presented to us, and special thanks for the Goldfinger, Out of Africa and Dances with Wolves. A true genius he was ... he is ... he will remain. Farewell, Dear Mr. Barry!

• mikemerryman

Jan 31st 2011, 20:54

loved "the black hole" score...sad day today. death is never a good thing and im sure he will be missed umongst the ones who know him best.

Feb 1st 2011, 2:14

Very sad news indeed, he'll be sorely missed.

• jimmyd05

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:47

I grew up immersed in the Bond films of the Connery era. John Barry's music was entwined in the whole spy mystique that we would hum the music as we played spy games. On of my cherished LPs is a two album set of Barry's 007 music from Dr. No through Diamonds. It is also his romantic pieces that are so vivid to me such as Somewhere in Time and Mountains and Sunsets from You Only Live Twice. A giant indeed in the latter half history of movie soundtracks. Place him in the pantheon alongside Bernard Hermann, Henry Mancini, Jerry Goldsmith and, some day, John Williams.