Vince Vaughn's latest comedy, Couples Retreat, has survived a rough critical reception to win the US box office this weekend with $35.3 million.
It's a much needed win for Universal, which has had a rough summer and has just replaced its film chiefs.
Retreat was the only big film in new release this weekend, which means the chart stayed largely the same elsewhere - Zombieland stayed strong in second place with $15 million (and has now earned more than it cost to make), while Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs stayed just beneath, moving down to third with $12 million.
The Toy Story 3D double feature moved down one place to fourth, earning $7.6 million.
But the biggest story of the weekend was spookfest Paranormal Activity (above), which despite showing on just 160 screens (compared to, say, Cloudy's 2,992), racked up $7 million in one weekend. It'll now be expanding across the US…
The top 10, then:
- Couples Retreat ($35 million)
- Zombieland ($15 million)
- Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs ($12 million)
- Toy Story/Toy Story 2 (3D) ($7.6 million)
- Paranormal Activity ($7 million)
- Surrogates ($4.1 million)
- The Invention Of Lying (($3.3 million)
- Whip It ($2.8 million)
- Capitalism: A Love Story ($2.7 million)
- Fame ($2.5 million)
[Data Source: Box Office Mojo]