Damon Lindelof explains why he won't write Prometheus sequel

"Much to the delight of all the fanboys..."

Prometheus turned out to be one of the most divisive movies of 2012, but plans for a sequel are already afoot, with the film’s open-ended conclusion certainly leaving the door open for further adventures.

However, screenwriter Damon Lindelof will not be writing the second instalment on account of the amount of time such an undertaking would demand.

“The thing about Prometheus was it was a rewrite,” explains Lindelof. “Jon Spaihts wrote a script and I rewrote it. And still it was a year of my life that I spent on Prometheus.

“The idea of building a sequel to it - from the ground up this time - with Ridley is tremendously exciting. But at the same time, I was like, ‘Well that’s probably going to be two years of my life.’ I can’t do what J.J. [Abrams] does. I don’t have the capability. I’m usually very single-minded creatively. I can only be working on one thing at a time.

“So I said to him, ‘I really don’t think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff. And I don’t know when the other stuff is going to be done.’ And he was like, ‘Well, okay, it’s not like I asked you anyways.’ He and I are on excellent terms and it was a dream come true to work with him. But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don’t see myself being involved in Prometheus-er.”

Looks like there’s a spot open then. Given the reaction the first film received, we imagine there will be quite the queue for one of the most thankless tasks in sci-fi…

Are you keen on the idea of a Prometheus sequel? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Mattsimus

Dec 21st 2012, 9:39

I don't care if TF gave this movie 4* it was still awful, regardless of its visuals!

Dec 21st 2012, 10:05

"I can't think of what to write, so I am going to put a box of teddy bears in the middle of the room. These teddy bears are significant to the plot but I don't know how and to be honest, I can't be bothered to explain it. But I will it make look SIGNIFICANT anyway. Therefore, I will leave it up to the audience and media to figure out the conundrum, don't worry, they will no doubt pass is off a portent mystery which is central to the overall theme, and have a reeeal long talk about it...oooh is that my paycheck?" - Lindelof School of Screenwriting.

• pingpong

Dec 21st 2012, 10:07

It'd be best nobody would write a Prometheus sequel. Ever.

• demmike

Dec 21st 2012, 10:23

I wanted to like Prometheus but it was just f**king boring

• 2Dglasses

Dec 21st 2012, 11:15

If it has to be written, please dont make out that its the most profound meaningful insightful inspirational meaning-of-life new bible. The original (lets be onest) was about aliens that attached themsleves to faces then killed everyone. Leave the cosmic musing to a minimum and drop the TEDIOUS Weyland corporate conspiracies dross. Make it an action/adventure/horror.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Dec 21st 2012, 11:41

Divisive indeed, I loved Prometheus

• FBLVenegas

Dec 21st 2012, 12:05

Stop kissing Ridley Scott's a*s, Lindelof. Just stop it.

• spid2411

Dec 21st 2012, 12:20

Took him a year to write that piece of s**t? Time for a change of career me thinks.

• SiMan

Dec 21st 2012, 13:39

I'm sure i've read that there is already a sequel that's been written. Didn't someone also make it into a film as well. I think it was called something along the lines of 'Alien', or something like that.

• ilikescifi

Dec 21st 2012, 14:03

Ha ha @SiMan and yes I would love another sequel to be written

• timmytime

Dec 21st 2012, 16:03

I loved every moment of Prometheus. I will definitely be there opening night for a sequel. What a great experience it will be if it matches the first.

• Indianabones

Dec 21st 2012, 16:20

I would have enjoyed it more if they had just kept it as a complete seperate film, or had actually written it as a pre-quel! some of it just seemed shoved in! on top of it that it was a seperate planet!...... should have been so much better! just a disappointment! and why bother having a swede trying to be English? was it really that important to the Script she be English? gawd so many questions

Dec 21st 2012, 19:09

I don't like the fact that Lindelof is being used as a scapegoat for Prometheus, Rildey Scott just doesn't have it anymore.

• FBJRider

Dec 21st 2012, 19:11

I don't know what film you guys were all watching but it can't have been the same Prometheus I saw at the cinema. Can't wait for the next one.

• spid2411

Dec 21st 2012, 23:11

And me and the rest of the western world don't know what film you were watching but it can't have been the same Prometheus we all sat through - it was f*****g s**te in every way. No middle ground - an absolute joke of a film designed for people who don't think. And for Ridley Scott to make it made it even more insufferable. A mess from start to finish

• anant

Dec 22nd 2012, 10:37

@siman hahahaha!! and ali1748 i agree. Prometheus was pseudo-intellectual pathetic piece of bull c**p. all the big wigs it seems are victims of there own hype!

• Jareth64

Dec 22nd 2012, 11:14

I've seen an incredible amount of nonsense posted by infatuated fans of Prometheus on YouTube comments pages etc. They claim the film's a "masterpiece" and that anyone who doesn't like it is "thick" and can't understand a plot not being "spoonfed" to them. Literally it's as if it's the same person defending the film; I've come up against hundreds of people using the EXACT same defenses for Prometheus. The fact is it's just not a very good film, and arguably its biggest problem was the laughable script. It's unbelievably poor. Lindelhof not being on board will probably help the sequel!

• SoshiGEE

Dec 22nd 2012, 12:28

Couldn't be happier about someone having attention span issues. Thank you Lindelof's parents!

• ghostland

Dec 22nd 2012, 18:57

What exactly would happen in the sequel?! Maybe they could do something totally original like a woman on a spaceship waking up after several years only to discover there is an alien on board. Oh.. wait.. Prometheus was awful, I'm just glad Fassbender was it in - when all else fails: admire his face.