Damon Lindelof talks Star Trek Into Darkness

And stresses the importance of keeping things secret

Ever since a sequel was announced for J.J. Abrams' successful Star Trek reboot, fans and critics alike have been trying to uncover every last morsel of information, from the colour of Kirk’s shirt to the identity of the villain.

However, Abrams is always notoriously tight-lipped about his projects, a policy that writer Damon Lindelof wholeheartedly subscribes to.

“The audience needs to have the same experience that the crew is having,” he explains. “You’re Kirk, you’re Spock, you’re McCoy, so if they don’t know who the bad guy is going to be in the movie, then you shouldn’t know.

“It’s not just keeping the secret for secrecy’s sake,” he continues. “It’s not giving the audience information that the characters don’t have. [Giving away the villain would give audiences] a five-second rush of exhilaration followed by four months of being completely and totally bummed out.

“They can’t tell anybody else, and when it gets revealed in the movie it will have been spoiled for them. That’s why they’re called ‘spoilers,’ they’re not called ‘awesomes’.”

He makes a good point, although Lindelof did go on to reveal just the teensiest amount about what we can expect from the general theme of the sequel.

“If the first movie was about meeting and introductions, this movie is about becoming a family,” he explains. “The title of the movie is not just about the mission that the Enterprise is going on but what happens when you get to know each other a little better and the hurdles you must jump over in order to truly become family.”

Star Trek Into Darknessopens in the UK on 17 May 2013.

What are you hoping for from the sequel? Tell us, below!

Comments

• joehodrien

Mar 13th 2013, 8:21

If simply revealing the villains name would give a rush of "exhilaration", can we now assume that it's Khan?

Mar 13th 2013, 9:31

There is keeping things secret, and there is being so obscure that no-one knows what the fuq is going is going, and Lindof can't be arzed to explain.

• Chufferstud

Mar 13th 2013, 10:45

Personally I love knowing spoilers. My only defence is quite simple, why would we watch films over and over again and still enjoy them if we know what is going to happen. How many people have read The Hobbit, know what's going to happen, but yet the film has been successful. I think it's about choice, don't want to know spoilers? Don't go looking for them. But in the same respect, don't reveal a spoiler unless you highlight it first. I really don't see the problem! JJ is loving the speculation over who Cumberbatch is, but it can be quite annoying with the teasing. I'm sure I'll find out what happens in the whole film before seeing it and it won't ruin my experience one bit!

• bangonthehead

Mar 13th 2013, 13:34

*Correction, Star Trek Into Darkness UK opening has been moved forward to the 9th May, its been confirmed by Paramount.

• SiMan

Mar 13th 2013, 13:38

@Chufferstud, but aren't there some things you'd rather not know until you uncover it the first time with the characters. What if Cumerbatch is a ghost and Kirk 'sees dead people' - wouldn't you rather experience that first revelation when you are first watching the film? I agree with your point about re-watching films though, and knowing what to expect and you're right that as long as something is cleary marked as containing spoilers i also don't see why a film magazine shouldn't report them and they be available to all decide on whether to read them or not. I hate spoilers being given (i read about one on Game of Thrones in a tv review the night after it had aired on Sky - a channel i don't have so couldn't have watched it - still irks me to this day!) but i do love watching trailers over and over and trying to guess whats going to happen myself. The majority of the time i'm completely wrong, but its still fun to watch the film never knowing for sure.

• Chufferstud

Mar 13th 2013, 16:21

The truth is @SiMan, I have this urge to know what will happen before I see it. I wouldn't say I hate surprises or that I like the thought of knowing what will happen before anyone else. I simply can't help myself. Reading something on a page is different to seeing it on screen, so even though I may know what happens, how it is presented on screen is still a thrill the first time I see it.

Mar 13th 2013, 20:49

I wish Damon Lindeof would just fuq off and stop ruining peoples movies.

• avirussell

Mar 14th 2013, 13:44

After a review of TOS Episode 07 Season 1 by DC Fontana He is a cannon character that has the ability to get into peoples minds and can destroy with his mind. He is a survivor from a crashed star ship and lost his family and was raised by aliens at the age of three and with unusal powers granted so he can survive. Capt Kirk in the original timeline was his father figure for a short time but the Aliens came for him to protect the other humans he came into contact with. He arrives in this time line through the same black hole created by Spock Prime and it not only crossed one parallel universe but others as well. Question is it closed or does it open randomly! - I digress SPOILER ALERT -- The Episode is CHARLIE X. (Charlie Evans)

• trist808

Mar 14th 2013, 14:30

@avirussell ... where exactly are you getting this info? Charlie was a bit of an idiot given too much power and with a child-like mentality, he was quite annoying but not very threatening ... I see nothing in Cumberbatch's performance in the trailers to even hint at him being based on that character. I think you're stretching here. And @Chufferstud, that is completely your right to do that, if you want to know everything before seeing a film, then more power to you hommie, I for one would rather wait until I see the final film and find out during the course of the story and in context who he is and what his full identitly may be. I don't want that spoiled for me, in this day and age it's great for some things to stay secret, so, good for JJ. I don't wanna know until May 9th :-)