Damon Lindelof will rewrite World War Z

Zombie epic set for wholesale reshoots

World War Z, the big-screen adaptation of the popular novel by Max Brooks, is set to undergo major surgery, with Damon Lindelof coming on board to give the script a thorough rewrite, despite the film already having been shot!

The film recently vacated its December 2012 release date in favour of a new opening in summer 2013, with approximately 6-7 weeks of reshoots being scheduled by Paramount. Lindelof has joined the team to see that said reshoots remedy what presumably must be some serious problems with the first cut.

Lindelof is thought to be focussing on the film’s final act, which apparently requires serious restructuring. Having previously worked on Star Trek and Prometheus, as well as TVs Lost, Lindelof’s sci-fi cred is sky high, so hopefully he can lick this one into shape before next summer.

World War Z will follow the exploits of Brad Pitt’s UN representative who is charged with travelling the globe, attempting to wipe out a growing zombie pandemic that looks set to wipe out human civilisation once and for all.

Paramount were thought to have been planning a potential trilogy, although that will very much depend on whether this first film can be salvaged and converted into an audience-pleasing opener. World War Z will open in the UK on 21 June 2013.

Is Linedelof the right man for this particular job? Tell us your thoughts, below...

Comments

• BazVanderClap

Jun 11th 2012, 8:48

Well, he did such a sterling job of making absolutely no sense with Prometheus, why not let him c**k this up too?

• EddieFelson

Jun 11th 2012, 9:54

I really hope they sort this film out, World War Z is one of my favourite zombie novels of all time and was initially intrigued and excited regarding the prospect of seeing how they would bring it to the big screen, now every time it's mentioned I just sigh and think I’m going to hate it!

• ChrisWootton

Jun 11th 2012, 10:03

The problem with this guy is that he doesn't even have the answers to any questions he raises in scripts.. in other words.. he's a moron. Consider this officially off of my "go see" list.

• FBJWilliam26

Jun 11th 2012, 10:42

He's overrated

• Demortu

Jun 11th 2012, 12:00

I too feel he's very overrated and I am concerned by his involved with Z. I loved the book, though I'll admit I felt it was an unusual choice for the movie treatment given its structure. I felt Prometheus, as a film did not work, with a spattering of 2 dimensional jock-like young Hollywoodised 'scientists' whom I didn't care a jot about in the film. Zombie films, like any good horror/sci fi - for me at least - rely upon some investment in the characters to really be drawn in, so, yep bit concerned.

• writerdave87

Jun 11th 2012, 12:51

Chris is absolutely right, Lindelof has made a career from not being able to satisfactorily resolve any plot threads he writes. Doesn't bode well.

• EddieFelson

Jun 12th 2012, 9:32

I think the book was always going to be a massive challenge for anyone to take on (your going to have to be seriously gifted to turn that into a screen play) then they drag a guy in who has a very dodgy track record? I think Brad Pitt is a very accomplished and fine actor but the book doesn’t have one main character? leaving me thinking they just saw the popularity with the book mocked up a script and sit back and enjoy the band wagon!