Darren Aronofsky no longer directing The Wolverine

“I'm sad I won’t be able to see the project through”

darren aronofsky

Just when things were looking so good for The Wolverine, the comic book sequel has hit a devastating snag – it’s just lost director Darren Aronofsky.

The Black Swan filmmaker, who signed on last year to helm the follow-up to 2009’s middling X-Men Origins: Wolverine, has departed the production, citing the film’s long production schedule as a problem.

“As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of The Wolverine would keep me out of the country for almost a year,” Aronofsky says in a press statement.

“I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won’t be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again.”

No matter how you look at it, this is a massive disappointment. Aronofsky has sounded genuinely amped to be helming the comic sequel, and everything he’s said about it has given the impression that his Wolverine was going to be something really special.

Now that he’s walked away, 20th Century Fox will “regroup and move forward aggressively”, which basically means they’ll be grabbing the closest director and handing them the keys to Aronofsky’s project.

Our interest in this project just went out the door with Aronofsky.

Gutted? Or glad? Think Aronofsky should have stuck with The Wolverine? Who do you think could replace him? Talk it out below...

Comments

Mar 18th 2011, 7:51

Weak, I've lost all respect for Darren Aronofsky.

• writerdave87

Mar 18th 2011, 8:00

Agreed, I reckon Black Swan getting so much attention opened a door to another project for him. The family reason might be part of it but seems a bit of a lame excuse. If the script is good there might be some saving it but it'll probably go to McG or Justin Chu or some other nobody director who'll turn it into pap.

• xpialidoceous

Mar 18th 2011, 12:14

@ Ali: why? because he chose to bail out of a project that seemed doomed? He's a brilliant writer/director who clearly wants/needs to lend his talent to better material - if he so desperately wants to tackle the superhero genre, he should be given something original, not a sequel to a spin off. Let's face it, the first Wolverine spin off was lame - and wolverine as a character should be left alone. I'm very interested in the X Men universe, so I can't wait for First Class - but Wolverine should be put to sleep while Hugh Jackman still has some dignity left.

• Peachy556

Mar 18th 2011, 12:41

I agree with @writerdave87. He's probably found something a little more "Arofonsky" than a sequel to a truly shocking instalment in the Marvel franchise machine, I just pray it's not the Robocop remake. I'm massively dissapointed, but if he says it's a good script then I'm still looking forward to seeing what happens, pending who gets asked to direct

• writerdave87

Mar 18th 2011, 13:24

Actually Aronofsky doing Robocop could be pretty f*cking cool...

• Peachy556

Mar 18th 2011, 13:38

Leaving a sci fi action film with a script and a star to do another with neither seems a bit foolish. If he's going to leave Wolvie for another picture, I want something completely different

• mrdriller

Mar 18th 2011, 15:18

It wasn't a sequel to Origins hence the name being ''The Wolverine'' not ''x-men origins the wolverine 2 scratch harder''. The project was supposed to be standalone complete free of all previous x-men installments and since it was to be set in Japan and based on Miller's book I cant see how or why they would tie it in with the spin off origins movie.

• SamaElPrime

Mar 18th 2011, 20:09

No! Oh man.... I was so escited about this... This is what should happen next: Fox should change scouting locations and make it in the country. If Aronofsky does not go to the mountain, the mountain will go to Aronofsky!

• morphadite

Mar 20th 2011, 22:04

all interest has gone out the window...dang it!