Darren Aronofsky responds to Noah criticisms

Rejects “environmental wacko” accusations

Darren Aronofsky has responded to criticisms of Noah’s eco-friendly message, with one critic having branded his title character as “an environmental wacko”.

Aronofsky raised the issue during an interview with CNN, in which he defended the film’s pronounced green message as true to the source material.

“It's in Genesis,” says the director. "Noah is saving the animals; he's not out there saving innocent babies; he's saving the animals, he's saving creation.”

“It was very clear to us that there was an environmental message,” continues Aronofsky. “To pull that message out of it, we think, would have been more of an editing job than just sort of representing what's there.”

Aronofsky went on to refer to a climate change report released by the UN this week, claiming, “the water is rising, and we already saw it once… we are living the second chance that was given to Noah.”

You can make your own mind up when the film is released in UK cinemas tomorrow.

Are you going to watch Noah this weekend? Tell us, below!

Comments

• CharsmatcEngma

Apr 3rd 2014, 11:03

Two things forced into movies that i can't stand. Preaching from the bible and eco-friendly bollocks. If you're into both/either of these things fair enough but I'm glad i've not even given this a second thought tbh

• jamieruthven

Apr 3rd 2014, 11:33

Quite easily... no. It looks awful and quite frankly, Aronofsky films are c**p. Also, he is an eco wacko. Imagine not letting your cast drink water just because it's more environmentally friendly, but making a big budget movie isn't!? Nut job springs to mind

• porkpiemonster

Apr 3rd 2014, 12:42

@CharsmatcEngma - Yet you felt the need to comment

• CharsmatcEngma

Apr 3rd 2014, 14:13

@porkpie, well it is the comments section what else am i supposed to do? Am i not allowed to express my opinion that i don't want to watch the movie? I'd of been happy if it was the bible story, as an athiest i can still watch religious themed movies and enjoy them, but i was extremely hesitant with this one with a gut feeling of "nope" and i now i know, for me, my gut feeling was right. My apologies for having the audacity to say how i feel, it will never happen again your highness.

• BadShark

Apr 3rd 2014, 14:18

What the f**k is wrong with being eco-friendly?!? there should be more people like Aronofsky!

• porkpiemonster

Apr 3rd 2014, 15:31

oh look, a knife in my kitchen. I will repeatedly stab myself in the face because you can do that with knives... Wait just because the knife is there doesn't mean I have to be all stabby x

• CharsmatcEngma

Apr 3rd 2014, 16:04

So apparently my comment was like stabbing myself in the face now. Welcome to the internet.

• YTWhitemanson

Apr 3rd 2014, 16:18

aronofskys films are masterpieces. except this one. this one is pretty bad.

• QuietLife

Apr 4th 2014, 7:38

This might be the first time that I'd rather read the spambot posts than the human ones...