David O. Russell addresses Uncharted adap concerns

"It's a really cool idea"

david o. russell

Ever since David O. Russell was confirmed as the director of video game adap Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, the web’s been going wild.

All the gamers have an opinion about the movie – who should be in it, how it should be done, what the plot should involve.

Now, Slash Film have caught up with Russell - who’s been nominated for a Best Director Oscar for The Fighter this year – to hear what he has to say about the film.

“I started to brew together what I thought could be a really cool idea that I’d never seen in a film before,” he says. “Really intense action and really intense family dynamics on a global stage.

“To grow a game into a movie is an interesting proposition because a game is a very different experience than a movie. You guys are playing the game, and it’s about playing the game.

“It’s not about a narrative embracing you emotionally. You know what I’m saying? So, I want to create a world that is worthy of a really great film that people want to watch and rewatch, so that’s what I’m working on right now.”

All we can say is: good luck.

Think Russell can pull of a decent adaptation? Or is it fated to fail? Speak up below...

Comments

• MadMatt

Feb 21st 2011, 15:54

"It’s about playing the game. It’s not about a narrative embracing you emotionally. You know what I’m saying?" Bit of sweeping statement - that depends on the particular game, surely? But I appreciate his point that it's a different medium and a different experience, so you can't just directly translate one to the other; it needs to be it's own entity. If anyone reading this remembers how refreshing his approach to action seemed back when Three Kings came out, you'll be optimistic for this.

• ChrisWootton

Feb 21st 2011, 15:54

Wow, good way of upsetting his core audience. He's missing the fact that there IS an emotional attachment to some gaming as the plots are incredibly in-depth which great character dynamics. He hasn't played any and will be the next in line for online crucification I think... If he doesn't want a film based on a game.. come up with an original f*****g idea!

Feb 21st 2011, 16:28

Without Nathan Fillon I ain´t interested.

• CaptainDut

Feb 21st 2011, 16:44

While I think Nathan Fillon would be great in the role, I do have two problems (easily forgiven) problems with him in the part. - He's a little old to be playing Drake - He'll basically be playing Mal in a different setting What about Jeremy Renner? That is if he would be willing to take a role nearly gurateeing he won't get nominated for.

• ChrisWootton

Feb 21st 2011, 17:07

I thought Mark Wahlberg had already been cast?

Feb 21st 2011, 17:31

These hollywood chimps couldnt give 2 sh/ts about the actual audience, they might as well cast Jesse Eisenberg as Drake. Next Ashton Kutcher as Master Chief ...

• bertus1

Feb 21st 2011, 21:12

I hope these people do not mess this up. I love these games. In my opinion they should just show the in - game cut scenes on the big screens. There, I just saved you d*****ses about sixhundredmillion dollars.

• SiMan

Feb 22nd 2011, 13:48

This is exactly why Hollywood fails at adapting a game into a movie. "It’s not about a narrative embracing you emotionally" - Okay, fair enough. Most games might not have the emotional whallop of an oscar contender, but the point is there is still usually a "narrative" there. Why can't they treat it as a book - i.e, the events in the game are the events that need to go on screen. I'm not talking about every little set piece and moment in the game, but the general story is already there (especially in the Uncharted games). Why can't all the major cut-scenes be converted into film and put into the movie? most games of big films have actual movie cut-scenes in them - why not just reverse engineer a game to get a film out of it......They should only have people who are passionate about the games adapting them, just as they would a book. God it annoys me. The Prince of Persia game could have been convereted into an amazing movie if they'd followed the template of the game!