David S. Goyer defends Superman’s right to kill

Explains canon departures in Man Of Steel

Screenwriter David S. Goyer has been talking about the ending of Man Of Steel(SPOILERS AHEAD), and specifically, defending his presentation of the character in the wake of criticism that Superman should never kill.

“We were pretty sure that was going to be controversial,” says Goyer of Superman’s final showdown with Zod. “It’s not like we were deluding ourselves, and we weren’t just doing it to be cool.

“We felt, in the case of Zod, we wanted to put the character in an impossible situation and make an impossible choice.

“This is one area, and I’ve written comic books as well and this is where I disagree with some of my fellow comic-book writers – ‘Superman doesn’t kill’. It’s a rule that exists outside of the narrative and I just don’t believe in rules like that.

“I believe when you’re writing film or television, you can’t rely on a crutch or rule that exists outside of the narrative of the film.”

So basically, Goyer didn’t want to give the character an easy way out of a decision that would ultimately compromise his beliefs whichever way he went…

“The reality is no prison on the planet could hold [Zod] and in our film Superman can’t fly to the moon, and we didn’t want to come up with that crutch.”

As for whether Superman will continue in that kill-friendly vein, we’ll have to wait until 2015’s Batman vs. Superman to find out…

What did you think of the film's ending? Tell us, below!

Comments

• BobTheSkull

Sep 25th 2013, 9:14

Why should he need to defend anything?! I hate the way certain fanboys have slated anything they could think about on this just because it's not what they wanted. For crying out loud, Zod was killed by Supes in Superman 2!!!! Just because we didn't see the actual death doesn't mean he didn't die after falling in to a friggin chasm! My only complaint about MoS was the OTT end fight and the lack of response to the devastation caused by it. Other than that, I really liked it.

• jordantough

Sep 25th 2013, 11:21

Yeah not to mention when he killed him in Superman II that Zod had his powers removed and could have just been flown to prison and all Supes did was smile and make out with Lois. At least this time round they made it almost necessary and showed him in pain about it. I think MoS 2 will start off with Clark showing regret about the devastation and having a chat with his mother about it. I personally liked a lot of the city getting destroyed as it gives them a good opening for Lex to come in, he does love his real estate schemes

• spid2411

Sep 25th 2013, 11:25

He can do what he wants - my concern was more that MoS was good for an hour or so then descended into a CGI ridden product placement festival and became impossible to watch to anyone over the age of 10 or with an IQ higher than a banana. It was a shambles, as is this ridiculous and childish idea for the sequel.

• batt101

Sep 25th 2013, 13:51

Sorry to break it to you but Superman isn't real

• jasongiani

Sep 25th 2013, 14:30

@Spid2411 Are you a 12 year old with a keyboard?

• dojj singh

Sep 25th 2013, 15:35

superman has killed plenty of times in the comics, it's the same as batman and him not using guns, didn't seem to worry him in tdkr and they dealt with it in one throw away line supes has a much further reaching dilemma and the way it's played out int he film means that you are left with no other emotion that acceptance that he's done what he had to do in an almost star trek like "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one" type scenario so why he would feel the need to defend it smacks of the suits telling him to do stuff

• DarthTwitch

Sep 25th 2013, 18:01

No. Superman doesn't kill. The f*****g End.

• StevePotter

Sep 25th 2013, 20:55

Yeah, f**k him. I'm not even a Superman fan (I loved the first movie, and I like a few storylines, but I tend to find him boring more often than not), but this is b******t and the ending was garbage. David S. Goyer was too damn lazy to think of a creative solution so he just had Superman kill Zod because hey, that's "edgy", right? No. Superman doesn't kill. Or at least, a properly written Superman doesn't. Man of Steel's Superman was raised by a paranoid wreck who could care less about human life, so I guess it's no wonder that Superman would start breaking necks. Anyone defending this doesn't understand Superman at all. And yes, he killed in "Superman II", but it p****d me off in THAT movie too, and at least that movie was better than this pile of c**p.

Sep 26th 2013, 9:14

He'd been Superman for one day and Zod left him no other options, get over it already.

• spid2411

Sep 26th 2013, 11:03

@jasongiani - yes

• BatMaN

Sep 30th 2013, 11:57

I don't mind the ending,it's the movie that was awful.cavil looks dorky.I guess no one can shine like christopher reeves.Brandon came close,and even he looked dorky!

• prfesser

Sep 30th 2013, 22:15

So Superman kills a super bad guy. He is properly angst-ridden because of this, but - hey! C'est la vie! It might be objectionable if Supe was to kill a non-super human, but other super baddies are fair game.

• patriciahanson

Oct 1st 2013, 19:30

upto I saw the bank draft which had said $9704, I accept ...that...my father in law woz like truly making money part time on their apple labtop.. there sisters roommate haz done this for under seven months and just now took care of the mortgage on their villa and bought Jaguar E-type. check... url.ℳn/23bb7d0