De Niro would still do Taxi Driver 2

He’s been talkin’, and not just to himself...

It has been over 30 years since Robert De Niro earned an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of mentally disturbed war vet Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.

But the star has admitted that he’d love to reprise the role for a (very) belated sequel – so long as original director Martin Scorsese was on board, of course.

“I have talked to writer Paul Schrader and Marty. We've spoken about what would happen to Travis these years later,” the actor told MTV.

“We had a thing and we tried to figure it out; Paul was trying to come up with something. And it just didn't seem to work.”

Back in February of this year, Lars Von Trier rallied against rumours that he was teaming up with Scorsese to get the project moving, stating that he was not involved in a Taxi sequel.

De Niro, though, remains optimistic about returning to the role of Bickle, despite previous attempts falling through.

“You never know - something could come up,” he said. “I thought it would be interesting to find a way to bring Travis back all these years later - maybe with something ironic about where he'd end up, as he did in the first one.

“All these years later, maybe we could. It's still possible.”

Think a sequel could be an interesting prospect? Or should sleeping nutjobs be left to lie?

Total Film on Facebook

Comments

• mcghater

Apr 16th 2010, 8:32

could be good.............done properly

• priapus

Apr 16th 2010, 9:19

I think it's more likely we'll see a remake of the first, maybe Ashton Kutcher IS Taxi Driver in a Michael Bay film.

• agentblackacid

Apr 16th 2010, 9:23

This has to be the most stupid, f**king thing I have heard in my life. I honestly thought there were one or two stories that are so stand alone that remakes and sequels couldn't go there, well I guess I was wrong... so here's the proof that nothing is sacred any more. What's next? Sequels to Reservoir Dogs, JFK and Eraserhead too? Bollocks I sez.

• IKEOBI73

Apr 16th 2010, 12:19

This is not a good idea, Taxi Driver does not need a sequel. I say leave it alone and find something else.

• markrobertson

Apr 16th 2010, 13:29

I have to agree with agentblackacid. The story is very much a one off piece. Besides the whole idea of a sequel is supposed to be either a continuation of a larger story (Star Wars/LOTR) or revisitng characters that are so loved we want to see them again. Taxi Driver had a solid conclusion and I can't say I have ever asked 'I wonder what Travis Bickle is up to these days?'

• agentblackacid

Apr 17th 2010, 0:48

I was actually so SHOCKED when i read this piece that I failed to realise this most simple fact. Is it me? Or did Travis Bickle actually DIE at the end of Taxi Driver? I thought it was some random act at the en do f the movie that the parents of Jodie wrote congratulatory messages to the hero in his own head. The fact of the film is that Travis was gunned down and the dying platitudes of the film are Travis' dying thoughts, a delusion of grandeur if you will. Watch the film. Any sequel will merely p**s on Bickles shoes.