DiCaprio remaking The Third Man?

Tobey Maguire may also be in on the rumour...

Could Leonardo Dicaprio and Tobey Maguire really be working on a remake of Carol Reed's classic The Third Man?

Before you scream heresy (and if you screamed "what's that?", get thee to a rental store and find out now), we'd gently point out that's it's only a rumour at this point.

Still, CHUD thought it possible enough to fun a story on the idea that DiCaprio and Maguire might be planning a collaboration with Eastern Promises writer Steven Knight, with the trio part of a package that Canal Plus is apparently shipping out to studios.

The original also featured a pair of friends - Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles, who were pitted against each other in the story of a man (Cotten) drawn to Vienna with the promise of a job, only to find that his mate has been killed. But there's a deeper conspiracy at play...

There's no director yet and nothing solid who who might be playing what should this thing even get off the ground.

Plus, who would ever want to compete with the original? We'll find out soon enough - if it's true, of course…

[Source: CHUD]

Should anyone even try to remake the film? Speak!

Comments

• joker16

Oct 26th 2009, 18:36

I will lose total respect for Dicaprio if he remakes this.

Oct 27th 2009, 1:03

'Leave the Third man alone.' I don't really see why classic films seem to 'have' to be re-made. Since the film is a mystery it would be undermined from the get go. 'The Third Man,' is also rooted in the post war period of depressed Europe, hence the line 'I never knew the old Vienna.' I'm not sure I could stand it if it was changed to another age of information film as it has been done to death. The redeeming aspects would be Dicaprio's inevitable attempt to try and chew the scenery as Orson Welles did with the 'Cuckoo clock,' monologue and seeing who would be cast in Trevor Howards role. Would they choose some-one who typified Britain to the same extent that he did, in which case my backing would be for Michael Fassenbender, John Simm or Michael Sheen to take the role. Anton Karas' iconic zither music would probably be replaced, which would diminish so much of the films atmosphere. The final and saddest point of all is that the film would probably still not be as entertaining as the adaptation by Pinky and the Brain, 'The Third Mouse'.

Oct 27th 2009, 1:03