Director Jose Padilha talks RoboCop remake

“Such a film is now urgently needed”

If you're in the camp that hates remakes of existing films and brands them pointless then director Jose Padilha's description of the upcoming RoboCop reboot at least sounds like a step in the right direction.

The Brazilian says he won't simply repeat Paul Verhoeven's work from the 1987 film.

“I love the sharpness and political tone of RoboCop and I think that such a film is now urgently needed. But I will not repeat what Verhoeven has done so clearly and strongly,” Padilha told Dutch entertainment website Film1

Perhaps less encouragingly, he also says the film will raise some important issues.

“Instead I try to make a film that will address topics that Verhoeven untreated. If you are a man changes into a robot, how do you do that? What is the difference between humans and robots developed? What is free will? What does it mean to lose your free will? Those are the issues.”

Would you buy that for a dollar?

Is a fresh take on RoboCop long overdue? Or should Padilha stretch himself with something brand new? Go below and give us three minutes - and your comment - and we'll give you the world.

Comments

• Swaine

Sep 22nd 2011, 4:42

STOP REMAKING MY FAVOURITE MOVIES!! All the films that are getting released are remakes! Ever heard of a sequel??? Even though the new Thing movie has been tweaked to look like a kind of remake at least the director has aknowledged the potential of the story by continuing with a prequel. I know the Thing is also a remake but at least its a remake of an old movie that John Carpenter saw areas on which he could improve upon, like Cape Fear. Now remakes are all about laziness and money. Why couldn't a sequel to Robocop be made, and continue the story, now we have to watch it all again, no director can improve upon the original so wats the point? And in less than another ten years all these remakes will be remade again, along with orignal releases. We need sequels not remakes

• andrew007

Sep 22nd 2011, 8:18

i have a similar opinion to Swaine except oddly I would be ok with a like for like remake here. robocop is one of the best films ever made for many reasons but the special effects and 'size' (the opening van chase for example - clearly deserted road/back lot) aren't amongst them. the film is get more than just about a man becoming a machine it is, for me, a film about attitudes and i would worry that the PC/sandal brigade would want such attitudes toned down to the point of making the original's satirical look at PC behaviour the norm! if the new film was a direct remake but with the current effects generating capabilities I would actually be keen to see it. If however the director allows the spirit, direction, and most importantly the tone of that film to shine through while adding more dimension then I would overlook a change of set pieces or even plot. Oh and finally, anyone who thinks they can remake this film as anything less than an 18 cert needs to have a word with themselves. This isn't about kids, there are enough superhero films for them. The adults need one now and he must be real.

• Tastynapalm

Sep 22nd 2011, 9:13

Great you want to explore those ideas, make some arty's movie about a guy who has a car accident and given the Steven Austin treatment, instead of doing a remake to a memorable 80s movie. Original ideas are wonderful things, wish Studios pushing this endless cycle of remakes would remember that.

Sep 22nd 2011, 9:51

It basically means Hollywood is full of lazy starbucked thicko's, who can't dream up thier own ideas. Robocop doesnt need to be remade it needs to be RE-SHOWN in cinemas. People moan about eighties being the decade than fashion forgot, but the films were so out there in terms of concept, ie Ghostbusters, Terminator, RObocop, Die Hard, you couldnt get away with that nowadyas it would have to involve another Adam Sandler gurning and learning fest,

• murphy

Sep 22nd 2011, 13:07

The way Padilha is talking they may as well get Ang Lee to make it,or on second thoughts they should LEAVE IT THE FU(K ALONE! The original is one of my all time favourites (hence the username) so to see them butcher it would deeply offend me.

• ChrisWootton

Sep 22nd 2011, 13:50

Nice shooting son

• trist808

Sep 22nd 2011, 14:25

Jose Padilha, you are under arrest, come with me quietly or there'll be ... trouble.

• fipthetop

Sep 22nd 2011, 14:33

Arrrghhh!! Why remake a film that has nothing wrong with it!! Highlander on the other hand - that has soooo much potential to be an amazing film / trilogy if done right.

• trist808

Sep 22nd 2011, 15:09

Highlander was an amazing film, it was the sequels that ruined it all. Highlander should be just a stand alone film, if McLoud is The Only One at the end of it, how can there be a sequel? Oh, let's make them all aliens and someone else was buried so deep that the Quckening didn't know of his existence and blah blah bluuuuurrrrrrrgggggggggghh! What a load of claptrap 2 and 3 were and I'm not even gonna give any notice of End Game and the fifth one who's title I can't even remember now, both were dire! Love the original film, hate everything that followed and that includes the TV series. Not interested in the planned remake either. As for RoboCop, yet another film they just shouldn't touch, the original was superb and even when Aronofsky was attached to the project, I wasn't all that impressed they were making a new version.

• MadMatt

Sep 22nd 2011, 15:50

I've had to stop reading the articles about the Total Recall remake because I'm worried about my blood pressure. Now, with another of my favourite films by Paul Verhoeven about to be given the needless remake treatment, there will be yet more news items posted on Total Film that I'll need to avoid for the sake of my health... This is a truly wonderful film, timeless and flawless. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the special effects could be improved. Sigh. I know what you're getting at in terms of the larger context of your post, but this kind of thinking is the driving force behind the pillaging of inspired 80s genre movies this past decade. The least valid justification for any remake is that you can make the effects a bit better; they are the least important part of any movie. The ideas, the characters, the plot, the atmosphere... none of that ages, and if you can't see past that then you are not a real film fan (again I'm making a generalisation about trends and attitudes rather than directing this at the original commenter). If they wanted to do a version that 'looked better' they could always release a proper remastered Blu-ray (rather than the upscaled DVD print they tried to con us with) with matte lines digitally removed, but that would mean showing respect to and investing in a catalogue film, rather than merely cashing in on the affection fans have for it by trying to make us pay again to see one of our favourite films b*****dised. "Such a film is now urgently needed"? Needed to launch your Hollywood career maybe, mate. But I would have far more respect for you - and any other filmmaker in fact - if they rejected such offers and developed new ideas as opposed to exploiting the hard work of others for an easy ride to success.

• trist808

Sep 22nd 2011, 16:25

@MadMatt, I completely agree with everything you've just said. RoboCop is perfectly fine as it is, I'd take the stop-motion ED209 over a soul-less CGI construct any day of the week. Hasn't Lucas proved already how changing films just to update the effects has spoiled them??? He digitally tinkered but this new trend to remake them into CGI abominations is ridiculous.

• ChrisWootton

Sep 22nd 2011, 16:32

Yep totally agree with you as well. Let's not forget Rob Bottin's (Stop me if I'm wrong on that) work on the suit which is absolutely flawless.. the scene at the gas station where something in his memory is triggered by the toxic bloke (sorry can't remember his name) is excellent.. really underplayed but perfect.

• 5thghostbuster

Sep 22nd 2011, 19:27

I was interested in this when Aronofsky was doing it but RoboCop is also one of my favourite films (and seems to be amazingly popular with everyone else here) so likewise I'm not too fussed about this now. Amazingly I've never seen the director's cut of RoboCop - worth getting? I've heard there's tons more violence in it.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Sep 23rd 2011, 13:07

I used to get all riled up about remakes, but it changes nothing, they are going to do it anyhow. Yes its lazy franchise driven entertainment that is marketed and screen tested until all personality is sapped out. But what can you do? Ignore it, thats what, unless it takes your fancy don't acknowledge its existence. Its not like it will replace the original classic Robocop, it will either a) add something new or b) make the original look even better