The "prawns" of Neil Blomkamp's District 9 proved to be a winner this weekend across the pond, winning the box office with a solid $37 million.
Considering that the film - produced and presented by Peter Jackson - cost a thrifty $30 million to make, that's a great launch.
Last week's winner, G.I. Joe lost 59% of business to make second place with $22.5 million, while romantic sci-fi drama The Time Traveller's Wife nabbed third in its first week with $19.2 million.
In fourth was cooking dramadey Julie & Julia ($12.4 million) and Disney's live action/CG adventure G-Force nabbed fifth, taking $7 million.
The top 10 in full:
- District 9 ($37 million)
- G.I Joe: The Rise Of Cobra ($22.5 million)
- The Time Traveller's Wife ($19.2 million)
- Julie & Julia ($12.4 million)
- G-Force ($7 million)
- The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard ($5.3 million)
- Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince ($5.1 million)
- The Ugly Truth ($4.5 million)
- Ponyo ($3.5 million)
- (500) Days Of Summer ($3 million)
[Data Source: Box Office Mojo]