Edgar Wright left Ant-Man over script changes

Wright vs Feige…

Edgar Wright’s abrupt exit from Ant-Man was apparently all down to script problems.

After an unhappy Kevin Feige ordered re-writes to the screenplay written by Wright and Joe Cornish, the Shaun Of The Dead director clashed with the Marvel honcho over the proposed new direction – leaving the project last week and taking all his heads of department with him.

Wright’s polite statement at the time, that he had exited due to “differences in vision”, was underlined by Joss Whedon Tweeting a selfie holding up a (half-eaten) Cornetto in sad tribute.

It’s not the first time that Feige has had a run-in with his talent either. Whilst some (Joss Whedon, John Favreau) are happy to stay in the Marvel family, a lot more (Kenneth Branagh, Joe Johnson, Terrence Howard, multiple Hulk actors…) are one-shot wonders – with Feige’s strong hand at the wheel causing many to jump ship for the sequels.

But with Ant Man still, somehow, scheduled to start shooting on July 28, the big question is how Marvel can possibly get things back on track in time without a director, a writer or any heads of department. They do still have Paul Rudd, so that’s something…

Ant-Man opens in the UK on 17 July 2015.

Who do you want to direct Ant-Man? Tell us below...

Comments

• SilverSurfer45

May 29th 2014, 7:23

It's a shame really. Wright is an excellent writer/director and I couldn't wait to see what he would do with Ant-Man, Feige should've just let him get on with it.

• Andy85

May 29th 2014, 7:34

In Kevin we trust! Thor 2 was better than Thor 1, CAWS was far better than Cap 1, Ed Norton was a s**te Hulk and Don Cheadle is a far superior actor than Terence Howard. As far as I can see he has done nothing but improve the Marvel Universe and if he was unhappy with something then there is a reason why. I am all for directors making films their own but lets face it, the Marvel Universe is an interweaving super franchise so someone needs to take direction of each project and steer it in the 'Wright' (see what I did there) direction. I have no worries for this film, Big Kev I am sure has his own heads of department who he will bring into the project within a couple of weeks.

May 29th 2014, 8:00

After 8 years in development, they decide to retconn the whole script in under 2 months? Playing with fire there.

• H3isenberg

May 29th 2014, 8:01

Agree with Andy85. I personally don't see the appeal of Edgar Wright, and I consider him quite overrated. Shaun of the Dead was good but hot fuzz was poor and Scott Pilgrim was self indulgent tosh and lest we forget he had a hand in Tintin. Inclined to think people are making more of a fuss over this because he is British than is entirely necessary. Kevin Feige is the man responsible for bringing the MCU this far I see no reason to doubt his opinion on this point.

• huwmerlin

May 29th 2014, 10:31

I've written virtually exactly the same thing as Andy85 elsewhere. Next guy to go has to be the one doing the Fantastic 4. The point of Marvel is not to have your own interpretation but to bring to the screen the comic books. If they want to go their own way they can create their own little world to do it in. The Marvel Universe isn't there to be changed or interpreted as I wrote above. Next thing marvel pay me for the story lines you stole from me for AOS.

• Padla

May 29th 2014, 11:18

Search for 'Kevin Feige Ant Man' on YouTube and the top vid should be two guys in front of a Thor poster...Skip to 2:33... A scoop or the wrong man for the job?

• endofdays2

May 29th 2014, 12:40

I like Feige but he does seem to upset people. Thor 2 was great but I can't imagine Alan Taylor ever working for Marvel again after the way he and Feige fell out over it and Taylor was quite vocal about that. I do agree with H3isenberg that Shaun was good but Hot Fuzz seriously overrated as well though.

May 29th 2014, 12:41

Disappointed with the fact Marvel would undermine Wright like that. They took the script off him and Joe and got two in house writers to alter it to the point where it wasn't Edgar's vision anymore. He deserves more respect than that. I also strongly disagree with Andy's comment, especially regarding Thor and Cheadle being a superior actor.

• Chufferstud

May 29th 2014, 12:59

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Howard was the highest paid actor on Iron Man, so I think it was financial issues that made them go for Cheadle. It's just a shame that after putting years of your life into something to then have it swept from under your feet just seems wrong. Surely they read 1st, 2nd and 3rd drafts before getting to a point of giving him the job? I think Wright is a great director, Scott Pilgrim is fun and Hot Fuzz is bloody brilliant. But hey, it's only an opinion.

• TheEnigma

May 29th 2014, 16:01

Thor 2 was absolutely shii**..! Watch it again and all the leaky holes appear, everything was hyper-unrealistic... and the script was horrendous, obviously written by a person with the intellect of a goldfish...

• TheEnigma

May 29th 2014, 16:03

Agree with Chufferstud, Hot Fuzz was an enjoyable little slice of Country England..!

• moviemuppet1984

May 30th 2014, 7:35

Wrights work on the Cornetto Trilogy and Scott Pilgrim speaks or itself and this movie has been a labour of love for him for years now, this is a sad story and Marvel need to realise that to get the best movies they need the best directors and allow them to have free reign over their own creativity

• QuietLife

May 30th 2014, 8:44

I don't agree that a studio that created something once, require the unchallenged reign to keep it. If they want to 'adapt' a comic book into a movie then do just that, adapt it. Fair enough it's Marvel's property but direct adaptations rarely work and by stunting the creative input that a director (whether you fan-boys like him or not) can bring seems totalitarian. I'm not a huge fan of Edgar Wright (still should have made Spaced S3!) but at least he thinks outside the box. Like Whedon, Shame.

• jem0013

May 30th 2014, 9:49

Personally I think it's becoming an overblown TV series that is going to run until it burns out with no satisfying conclusion. While it's great for fanboys most cinema goers will get bored before long with the same old thing. The beauty about Christopher Nolans Batman was that it recognised that it had to have a genuine story arc andnot sometning that should go on and on.