Elijah Wood cast in Alexandre Aja’s Maniac remake

Wood turns killer for Aja...

Alexandre Aja (Piranha 3D) and producer/writer Gregory Levasseur have teamed with P2 director Frank Khalfoun to remake William Lustig’s gruesome 1980s splatter classic Maniac.

Elijah Wood (The Lord of the Rings) and Nora Arnezeder (Safe House) will be heading up the cast.

Arnezeder will be Anna, a part played by the legendary Caroline Munro in the original, and Wood will play the titular maniac Frank Zito.

Lustig’s original flick is about crazed New York serial killer Zito, who has a penchant for scalping his victims.

Wood has played nasty before of course, most notably in Sin City, but we can't help but be a bit surprised by this particular piece of casting.

Aja and Lavasseur are on scripting duties, and their old pal Khalfoun – who helmed P2 for the pair – will direct.

While P2 is fun enough, we'll be hoping that Aja will be able to add a little bit of the grimy nastiness his Hills Have Eyes remake had in abundance to the Maniac mix.

Do you see Wood as a serial killer? Tell us below!

Comments

• Toursiveu

Nov 3rd 2011, 16:36

So, Elijah Wood is the new Joe Spinell in the Maniac remake??? Next : Jaden Smith in talks to play Snake Plissken...

• MrScary

Nov 3rd 2011, 17:13

Isn't Elijah Wood about 5 ft. 3 inches??? How the hell is he going to play a scary "Maniac". Wood; holding a big knife - "I'm going to kill you". Victim; "Yeah...really funny, kid. Get out of here." Victim shoves Elijah to the ground, walks away. End Scene. What a terrible job at casting...

• Toursiveu

Nov 3rd 2011, 18:14

Well obviously, they decided to cast against type. Aja and Levasseur are really smart guys, so I think this could be interesting. And Wood was good as a psycho in Spin City! And honestly, who could ever replace Joe Spinell anyway? Spinell was one of the most fascinating character actors ever with a very interesting and terrifying face. Nobody can replace him.

• FBALee

Nov 3rd 2011, 20:30

Wood has an amazing ability to be extremely creepy. I'm down with this casting. Just because he's short doesn't mean he can't be brilliant in this role. I still have nightmares about his cannibal in Sin City.. he creeped me out THAT much. If Tom Cruise can be an action star at his height, I don't see why Wood can't be a maniac serial killer.

• writerdave87

Nov 4th 2011, 3:09

I think Toursiveau means Sin City, not the political sitcom with Michael J Fox ;)

• FBAElwood

Nov 4th 2011, 13:24

>>Do you see Wood as a serial killer?

• FBAElwood

Nov 4th 2011, 13:29

Where did the rest of my post go to? :P Anyway, yes. Elijah can be a serial killer. At least as a character. It's not the ones 6"6' with muscles out to there who are always frightening. The quiet, meek ones with something erratic going on behind the eyes are the ones to really watch out for. Thanks for pointing out Sin City. Many seem to forget how eerily fantastic Elijah was in that.

• Jasonmar98

Nov 4th 2011, 17:03

Im impressed, I must say. Very rarely do I come across a site thats both informative and entertaining, and let me tell you, youve hit the nail on the head. Your site is important; the issue is something that not enough people are talking intelligently about. Im really happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this issue. multistate bar exam mbe questions