Elizabeth Olsen talks “messed up” Scarlet Witch

Sounds as though the character is not in a happy place

Having recently been confirmed by Marvel as Scarlet Witch in The Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Elizabeth Olsen has been discussing her character, who sounds as though she’s a mite troubled…

“I hung out with Mr. Whedon recently,” says Olsen. “I’m really excited about this movie. I’m so excited about Scarlet Witch. I have had so much fun reading all about her and I am like learning new words that I had to look up on Wikipedia. I’m really enjoying it.

“I just love Scarlet Witch,” she continues. “I love her. It’s so funny because I’m often talking about all these psychologically damaged people, but when you talk about Scarlet Witch… she is a messed up lady. She has got more shit to deal with than anybody else I know.

“I’m excited to figure out what’s appropriate to use for her, because there’s so much material from all of these decades, and we’re going to tell this one story. So to be able to choose what you’re going to bring into it from all of this abundance, it’s really fun.”

We can assume that the small issue of Magneto being her father will fall into the column marked “not appropriate”, given the rights clash between Fox and Marvel, but it will indeed be interesting to see the spin Whedon and Olsen decide to put on the character…

The Avengers: Age Of Ultron will open in the UK on 1 May 2015.

What do you make of Olsen's comments? Tell us, below!

Comments

Nov 28th 2013, 10:39

Recast!

• chibik

Nov 28th 2013, 11:03

Just let it go, man.

Nov 28th 2013, 11:11

Never!

• marvelboy

Nov 28th 2013, 12:23

I agree with .. Chibik let it go man... Marvel have never failed in the casting choice, the only epic fail would be Nic Cage as Ghost rider and he was a Fox mistake

• trist808

Nov 28th 2013, 14:22

Look at the picture TF have used of The Scarlet Witch ... now compare with the pictures in the "Like This? Then try" bit underneath and you'll see it's a pretty good fit. I think she'll be excellent as Wanda. I wasn't all that fussed when Renner was cast as Hawkeye, but he did a good job of it and now he's the movie-verse Clint Barton, whether people like it or not - c'mon Ali, move on mate, you're getting as bad as Hadouken and his hate-obsession with Johannson/Black Widow :)

Nov 28th 2013, 15:37

I just don't see the resemblance nor do I think Olsen has the charisma for a role like this. Aaron Taylor as Quicksilver is excellent casting though.

• trist808

Nov 28th 2013, 15:54

Well, I hope Olsen surprises you and you're not too disappointed by her performance, hopefully come May 2015 she'll have won you over :)

Nov 28th 2013, 17:17

On another note, that image of Scarlet Witch = Schwing.