Evangeline Lilly talks The Hobbit

Gives an update on her character

Alongside all the old Middle-earth faces lining up to return for The Hobbit are a host of all-new players to become acquainted with. One of these is Tauriel, played by Lost’s Evangeline Lilly who was been speaking to Entertainment Weekly about what we can expect from her character.

Tauriel is one of the Elves of Mirkwood, and from the sounds of things, she knows how to handle herself in a fight.

“She is a warrior,” confirms Lilly. “She’s actually the head of the Elven guard. She’s the big shot in the army. So she knows how to wield any weapon, but the primary weapons that she uses are a bow and arrow and two daggers. And she’s lethal and deadly.”

However, we may have to wait until 2013 to see Tauriel in all her arse-kicking glory, as Lilly says she features in the second film a lot more than she does in the first.

“She’s not in the first film very much,” says Lilly. “She comes into the first film near the end, and has a very small part to play. Her role in the second film is much more involved. Although, I have to say, when I first read the scripts and took the job, she had a lot less going on in the second film. I think the role is becoming a bit more demanding that I had expected it to be. There’s a lot more for me to do now, which is a lot of fun, but it’s a little more pressure.”

Clearly Peter Jackson was impressed by what he saw, and decided to make more room for the bow-wielding warrior. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens in the UK on 14 December 2012.

Which of the new cast members are you most excited about seeing in action? Tell us, below.

Comments

• Heisenberg

Jan 26th 2012, 12:21

Awh, i love that picture. Don't care much for the movie, but that picture of her is immense. On another note, why when you type the word "movie" on this, does it get highlighted in red as if it is wrong? I know this is total FILM, but come on... :-P

• QuietLife

Jan 26th 2012, 13:21

I agree with Heisenberg (I only now get the Breaking Bad reference dude!), need that pic as a wall-mural!! I also mentioned the random spell-check on the word "movie", although it's not doing it now... Hmmm....

• writerdave87

Jan 26th 2012, 13:31

I also love that pic, but before Dalidab comes in and accuses us all of sexism, it's because she's a beautiful woman, she's fully clothed, and she's got a great smile. Ahem.

• smellyhands

Jan 26th 2012, 13:44

In the words of Alan Partridge...."Oooooh, I'd like to have it off with herrr."

• SixStepSamurai

Jan 26th 2012, 14:56

You've done it now lads. Wait till Dalidab comes on here. It's gonna be another 30+ comment bananza I tell ya. But I agree, she is one of the most stunning women around at the moment. Super hot and you can quote me on that. Needs more work though.

• YorksProp

Jan 26th 2012, 15:17

She can Mirk my Wood any day......I apologise for that, couldn't think of anything smarter. As for Dalidab, I may be new to posting but I've been reading his keyboard diarhea for quite some time now, so I'm ready for it!

• FBMAlexieva

Jan 26th 2012, 18:46

I'll be most excited to see Aidan Turner... You should probably pay him some attention in the near future...

Jan 26th 2012, 20:24

She used to date a Hobbit, thats gonna be awkward... I saw her in Real Steel, the film was complete cheddar but she was good in it. What is it about hot brunettes surrounded by big fighting robots? Except Lilly still has a career ...take that, Megan!

• Heisenberg

Jan 26th 2012, 20:54

@Hadouken...oohh, saucer of milk, table two! Miaow!

Jan 26th 2012, 22:21

I take it sour :DD

• willow138

Jan 26th 2012, 23:23

hahahaha to everyones comments. this is why i come on to this site 1) TFs cheekiness 2) you guys and your hilarious comments. :D

• SixStepSamurai

Jan 27th 2012, 1:11

3) And to read Dalidab's incoherent ramblings and contradictions, you know, for a laugh.

• SixStepSamurai

Jan 27th 2012, 1:20

Plus his inability to spell the word "doe" I mean do.

Jan 27th 2012, 10:41

Alot of testosterone in this room.

• QuietLife

Jan 27th 2012, 11:40

@Ali1748 - Did you not see the picture at the top? What did you expect? :)

• alexr

Jan 27th 2012, 16:58

Oh dear, I can just see it now - @smellyhands firstly i wish you would f**k off and die of p***s fungus you sexist heterosexual b*****d what has this poor girl ever done to you besides lie on a beech and breathe and heer you are being disgussting and misoginistic and I dont care that you are only joking because I'm gay and IMHO anyone who doesnt like it can f**k off and die like i wish james cameron would for making that s**t movie Avatar with Sam worthington who was also in Terminator: Salvation, the remake of Clash of the Titans, and Wrath of the Titans which I am rearly loking forward too and imho will be the best film of the year, but getting back to the point, @yorksprop i like your joke about 'mirk my wood' and you can mirk my wood any day, although you should f**k off and die of ensefalites first for aming that comment at a woman and being sick and wrong in the head, unlike some people on these message boards, and @Hadouken76 what is wrong with Megan Fox, I think she is a very talented girl, IMHO for her work in Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Jennifers Body, and How To Lose Friends and Alienate People, and I'm not sure I understand what that title is supposed to mean but I bet I would be really good at it....so their...

• alexr

Jan 27th 2012, 17:02

By the way, I have a foot phobia, so the good in that photo is marred by her f*****g great big clown-feet in the background...!

• Heisenberg

Jan 27th 2012, 17:59

@alex, bravo, that was quite f*****g marvelous :-D

• QuietLife

Jan 28th 2012, 0:16

Woah! Did alexr just channel twalidab? I don't know whether to be concerned or impressed. Although feet do suck... (*hopes Evangeline isn't secretly listening...*)

• writerdave87

Jan 28th 2012, 4:53

That was an even better impression of Dalidab than 'crazyrapeguy' does lol. Bravo sir, bravo.

• writerdave87

Jan 28th 2012, 23:35

He doesn't have to shut up. You don't shut up and you make far less useful contributions, so why should he?