Evil Dead director says remake contains no CGI

And describes final scene as “the bloodiest ever”

Director Fede Alvarez has long promised to take the Evil Dead series back to its grimy, gory roots, and judging by the recent trailer for his remake of the original film, that’s exactly what he’s achieved.

And according to Alvarez, part of that unvarnished appeal lies in the absence of any CGI, with everything contained in the film having been shot “as real”.

“We didn't do any CGI in the movie,” says Alvarez. “There's no CGI in the movie. Everything you will see is real, which was really demanding. This was a very long shoot, 70 days of shooting at night.”

“There's a reason people use CGI,” he continues. “It's cheaper and faster. I hate that. We researched a lot of magic tricks and illusion tricks. We really pushed the boundaries, trying to create those illusions.”

What certainly stands out from the trailer is the sheer volume of gore involved, and Alvarez promises that the teaser represents a fair reflection of the level of splatter present in the finished film.

“It has a particularly bloody ending,” says the director, teasingly. “The last scene... I want it to be the bloodiest scene ever. And I think it is.” We’ll look forward to watching through our fingers when the film arrives on 19 April 2013.

Are you excited for the remake? Tell us why, below!

Comments

• smellyhands

Jan 7th 2013, 13:02

No CGI? Well in the latest trailer the girl being raped by the tree is puking CGI.

• CaptainCrazy

Jan 7th 2013, 14:45

@smellyhands - exactly the same thing I thought. Lying b*****ds. Anyway, I hate that they are going for the ick-factor instead of the scary fun mood of the original series. The Evil Dead series was like a rollercoaster horror ride and essentially that is what brought The Evil Dead series to the party. Without that, ignoring Ash for the moment, then this will be Evil Dead in name only. In other words, as shameless cash-in no different to what Michael Bay is doing with other horror franchises.

• thelimopit

Jan 7th 2013, 15:36

It's not necessarily CGI puke - Ramis has an obsession with creating fake heads and connecting them to voluminous hoses. Pretty sure he used this technique for the vomit scene in Drag me to Hell.

• CaptainCrazy

Jan 7th 2013, 16:18

@thelimopit - I don't think he is talking about actual vomit...

• NickyC

Jan 7th 2013, 16:45

I think that's really, really cool. I think a mistake filmmakers often make is to rely on CGI for everything (ahem - Francis Lawrence! - ahem) but then the problem is the viewer becomes acclimatized very quickly and all they can see is how it was made. The late, great Stan Winston put it best ... he said the filmmaker should use the right technique for the size of the shot and use multiple techniques so the viewer doesn't know how every shot was done. That way, they'll stop looking at the mechanics of the filmmaking, suspend their disbelief and give themselves up to the story. That's not a quote, it's a complete paraphrase, but I know what he was saying and I totally agree. I hope we get more and more directors choosing the right technique for the shot and not giving us yet more hordes of opponents made on a workstation (ahem - I am Legend! - ahem).

• ivangongora

Jan 22nd 2013, 4:18

So it seems that you folks haven't read what article says. First of all: Raimi is not participating as a director, it has a new one... wich is Fede Alvarez, the movie is based on the franchise of Evil Dead movies, but it's not the exactly remake. Second: Fede Alvarez wanted to learn some techniques that Raimi did on that time, so don't expect the same gore of Raimi, confusing it with Alvarez. Regards!