Exclusive: Guillermo del Toro updates on Justice League Dark movie

GdT talks origin stories for DC Comics' dark Avengers...

Guillermo del Toro has dropped some tantalising hints of where he sees his Justice League Dark story developing.

Fans of DC Comics' darker take on its Avengers-style superteam are in for a treat.

In a recent interview to talk all things Mama, del Toro revealed that pre-production is moving along smoothly, and detailed which character arcs he'd love to address from the comics.

"I am going to be presenting my storyline to DC and Warners of where I want to take this universe. We do have a writer, but until that is firmed up, I have to keep it a secret. I hope it happens," he said.

"It's going really really well. It's like meeting old friends. I grew up with Demon Etrigan, with Swamp Thing, with Deadman, so these are characters that are near and dear to my heart."

"I'd love to use the origins that are proper to each character. I love the idea of Jason Blood as a paladin and a knight…. I love the entire Constantine mythology, the Dead Man mythology, the Alex Holland Swamp Thing mythology. These are really rich things to well, and to dig."

Comic fans will be cheered to hear that not only is del Toro as big a fan, but that he's focusing on the classic team line-up.

Excited by Justice League Dark? Happy that del Toro wants to stay strong to the characters' origins? Let us know below...

Comments

Feb 26th 2013, 9:37

I would like to see Constantine rebooted as a faithful adaption. Meaning no Hollywood catastrophe and no Shia le Beouf as a 5yr old taxi driver.

• NickyC

Feb 26th 2013, 11:15

Absolutely. What possessed them to take a well-loved character with a built-in audience, then FUBAR it in a seemingly deliberate attempt to alienate the fanbase is beyond us all. What would have been wrong with just making a Hellblazer movie, FFS? GdT will sort it out, then hopefully we'll get a proper HB as a spin-off.

• SiMan

Feb 26th 2013, 13:50

Admittedly, i haven't read the comics, but i kinda liked the Constantine film

Feb 26th 2013, 16:28

It's an ambitious idea that I am not sure they'll greenlight but hopefully someone at WB convinces GDT to make a faithful Constantine adaptation like Hadouken said.

• Jaffa

Feb 26th 2013, 17:05

Given that they've already worked together, I wouldn't be surprised to see Charlie Hunnam get cast as Contantine.

• spoonlamp

Feb 26th 2013, 20:20

Ambitious?! Any single one of these characters has so much back story to them that I just can;t see this working. I love Del Toro and have faith in pretty much everything he does, but this... to get the audiences in, in my opinion too much rests on understanding the characters. How can you understand Deadman or Constantine or Etrigan with what would be at best 15 minutes of introduction/back story per character? Then move the film convincingly...meh. I can see this going the way of Mountains of Madness - something we'd like to see done well but pulled by the studios.