Exclusive: Producer Lauren Shuler Donner talks Deadpool

“We will redeem him”

Recent developments would suggest a Deadpool movie is back in business: Ryan Reynolds is willing to fit it into his busy schedule and Tim Miller is attached to direct.

Lets see what producer Lauren Shuler Donner has to say about it.

“We have a few more things to do. And then it's up to the studio to decide whether we're going to go forward or not,” Donner told Totalfilm.com.

Not the answer TF was hoping for. Hang on though, she's not quite done yet: “But I'm pretty excited. We have a good script and a good director.”

During a showcase of the Blu-ray features for X-Men: First Class Donner told the assembled press: “When we misstep you're with us and when we do well you cheer us and we're very happy about that.”

TF couldn't help but ask if Deadpool was one of those missteps...

“Yes he was treated totally wrong in the Wolverine film and yes we will redeem him,” replied Donner.

X-Men: First Class is released on DVD and Blu-ray on 9 September in the US and 31 October in the UK.

Still want to see Ryan Reynolds return as Deadpool despite the disappointment of Green Lantern? Tell us below or we'll force you to watch Wolverine again!

Comments

• Heisenberg

Sep 8th 2011, 9:21

This has to be the movie that most comic book/movie fans want to see. The studio must know it's gonna be HUGE if it ever does get made. If they are doing the back story though, i assume it will NOT be in conjunction with the Wolverine Origins movie, and his turn from Wilson to Deadpool will be much more dramatic, going right from the finding of cancer to the facility he breaks out of, could possibly be the best introduction comic movie yet.

• murphy

Sep 8th 2011, 13:19

Hey Heisenberg,have you got any of that good crystal?

• jamiehalus

Sep 8th 2011, 14:35

Lol. not at the moment, have a few pieces of business that I need to take care of. Talk to "Captain Cook" if your looking some blue ice.

• nkutzler

Sep 8th 2011, 16:42

Making it an Assassination movie has to be the best way to go. Deadpool could possibly pull of stealth, or else he would fall through the ceiling launching grenades across the foyer until he killed his man. I like the ideas that Wade is an expert assassin, and that most of the things he does are due to dangerous mania because of his healing of terminal cancer. Please, do make this movie real.

• FBALee

Sep 8th 2011, 18:19

Pleeeeeease let this actually happen! My boyfriend and I LOVE Deadpool. We freaked at how badly they messed him up in Wolverine, and hopefully they are being honest when they mention that they will redeem him. Done right, it's going to be snarky, dark, and bad-a*s. I don't really care if Ryan Reynolds stays on.. I think a fresh face might go a long way in salvaging Deadpool. Not that I have anything against Reynolds, since he is a hardcore Deadpool fan and wasn't happy how they f***ed him up in Wolverine.

Sep 8th 2011, 22:31

Deadpool was the only good thing about Wolverine.

• FBALee

Sep 9th 2011, 15:35

Except that they didn't even get him right.

• writerdave87

Sep 9th 2011, 15:50

That says a lot for Reynolds and more about Origins that the best thing in it was a character the actor playing him widely states they screwed up :p

• apapageee

Oct 8th 2011, 15:53

I like Ryan Reynolds, but we need new face. How about Victor Webster? I think he could so do it. VICTOR WEBSTER please.

• beracah

Dec 17th 2012, 3:15

YES! Bring out the Reynolds DeadPool! Ryan Reynolds already has a mouth in most movies he pays in, and he kept it going as Wade Wilson. I would like to see his mouth in high gear as a full fledged DeadPool. "Here's a language we can all understand, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG!"..."Do I still think in those little yellow boxes?", I can't wait to see how DeadPool jaw jacks in a movie.