Fast Five is the most pirated movie of 2011

Action sequel tops illegal download list

Fast Five, the fifth instalment in the ever-healthy action franchise, was the most pirated movie of 2011 on BitTorrent, according to the LA Times.

The film was apparently downloaded some 9.3 million times, though the average number of downloads of the top 10 movies was lower than the equivalent list last year.

While box-office behemoths occupy the top 3 places (The Hangover Part II and Thor sit in spots 2 & 3 respectively), the remainder of the list is quite different to the top-grossing films.

This year's Twilight and Transformers films didn't make the top 10 most popular downloads, while Source Code, I Am Number Four and Sucker Punch (none of which broke the top 50 in terms of US grosses) did.

It's possibly most sad to see Source Code on the list - a smart, interesting, modestly budgeted sci-fi, the type of which we don't see enough of in cinemas.

If those illegal downloads could be converted to purchased tickets, we'd have a better chance of this kind of film getting made more often, instead of the countless sequels, remakes and reboots we're swamped with.

Here's the full list of the 10 most pirated movies (and the number of times they were downloaded):

1. Fast Five: 9.3 million

2. The Hangover Part II: 8.8 million

3. Thor: 8.3 million

4. Source Code: 7.9 million

5. I Am Number Four: 7.7 million

6. Sucker Punch: 7.2 million

7. 127 Hours: 6.9 million

8. Rango: 6.5 million

9. The King's Speech: 6.3 million

10. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2: 6 million

Are you surprised by the list? Give us your thoughts...

Comments

• joker16

Dec 31st 2011, 15:44

Source Code was wildly overrated. Thank god "that kind of film" doesn't get made more often.

Dec 31st 2011, 19:13

Source Code was a breath of fresh air, Duncan Jones is definitely a director to keep an eye on.

Dec 31st 2011, 19:13

• StevePotter

Dec 31st 2011, 21:12

I hate people who pirate movies, but I can understand wanting to pirate "The Hangover Part 2." I refuse to see that movie in any way that could possibly result in the film makers getting money. It's offensive to me as a moviegoer that they would think I want to see the same movie twice if I'm going to see a sequel... Sorry, mini rant over.

Dec 31st 2011, 23:50

Friedberg and Seltzer would love their sh*tburger movies to be pirated, they can't even give it away!

Dec 31st 2011, 23:50

* them away!

• marc96

Jan 1st 2012, 16:38

im happy i got to see source code at the cinema as i found it to be a brilliant movie. and the same goes for harry potter, kings speech, 127 hours, i thought Thor was very good as well, but the only way i was going to watch c**p like sucker punch was through lovefilm, that way it didnt feel so much like i had paid to see it, although i paid with losing about 90 odd minutes of my life i'll never see again lol but i enjoyed hangover 2 and know i shouldnt so what do i know lol

Jan 1st 2012, 18:30

Thor was my personal favorite of the year, just simply for the kick a*s scenes in Asgard.

Jan 1st 2012, 18:31

As for pirating I don't do it with movies but I do with TV shows because some great shows like Breaking Bad aren't even shown in the UK.