First full trailer for Dredd: watch now

"I'm the law"

Dredd has released its first full-length trailer online, and pretty badass it looks too, with Karl Urban absolutely owning the screen as lawman extraordinaire, Judge Dredd.

The trailer starts by outlining a plague that is afflicting Mega-City One: an addiction to the reality-altering drug, Slo-Mo, the production and supply of which is controlled entirely by the villainous Ma-Ma (Lena Headey).

To all intents and purposes, the drug has given her almost total control over the city, but "almost" is the operative word. Because as Dredd so concisely puts it, “Ma-Ma’s not the law... I’m the law.”

Take a look at the new trailer, below...

There’s no doubt about it, Karl Urban has captured Dredd’s gravel-voiced authority to a tee, spitting out one-liners with barely-repressed rage, the machismo coming off him in waves. Olivia Thirlby will have to work hard to keep pace, although to be fair, she too shows off a steely-eyed determination to be reckoned with.

Directed by Pete Travis, the film will arrive in UK screens on 7 September 2012. Just when you thought the summer was going to be dominated by one snarling superhero, another pops up to make his presence felt...

Does this first trailer live up to your expectations? Tell us, below!

Comments

• marc96

Jun 21st 2012, 10:25

yay !! now thats more like it, looks good from the trailer (which i know can be decieving), but i'll definitely be lining up to watch it

• nacho316

Jun 21st 2012, 10:26

Looks good Judge Judy meets the Raid ;)

• badger86

Jun 21st 2012, 10:27

Not bad, hopefully the film will hold up come september. I can see why they didn't want to release it so close to the raid. Headey as MaMa is looking pretty badass.

• Heisenberg

Jun 21st 2012, 10:28

So he gets locked in a tower and has to work his way up to kill the bad guy? I thought that was The Raid. In all seriousness, looks bit more gritty buy still kinda cheesy, should be fun :-)

• LukeSween

Jun 21st 2012, 10:34

May as wellcall it Dredd: The Raid from the looks of it. Still, looks far better than the Sly flick

• marc96

Jun 21st 2012, 10:42

yay ! now thats more like it... looks good i'll definitely be lining up to see it... although i have to wonder if we are barely going to see anything of mega-city

• FBARichards

Jun 21st 2012, 10:50

ok! So this is The Raid's plot but with added future lawman with ridiculous helmet. ummmmm

• EdDeRs1

Jun 21st 2012, 11:35

looks like Old Stoney Face, aka Seniour Judge Joe Dredd, aka The Law, is going to give Batman a run for his money (he did kick the Dark Kinght's a**e in a cannon crossover), and can people please stop compareing this to the Raid, if anything the Raid stole from Judge Dredd

• trist808

Jun 21st 2012, 12:47

Just to clarify, nobody stole anything from anybody. I met Gareth Evans at a screening of The Raid back in February and in the Q&A afterwards, he remarked how similar the plot for both The Raid and Dredd are. He made light of it and hoped people wouldn't make comparisons, but said that both films were devised and worked on separately. It's only now in post-production and leading up to release that it's becoming clear that both films have close similarities and just one of those creative things where two projects end up mirroring each other. If Evans & Travis ever meet up, they'll probably laugh about it over a pint ... I don't think Dredd will be as good as The Raid (and certainly not as full-on as that film, hopefully Dredd will be rated 15 though) but it's looking damn good IMO, and a far cry from Stallone's effort - thank God :)

• Jeffbiscuits

Jun 21st 2012, 13:48

In comic form Judge Dredd's 30 odd years old. How could it be a rip off of The Raid?

• EddieFelson

Jun 21st 2012, 13:51

Who cares if it is like The Raid? The Raid was F*king awesome! I really hope they explore Mega City though as to me it's always been about the Block Wars

Jun 21st 2012, 17:28

It actually makes Stallone's version look........good.

• CaptainCrazy

Jun 21st 2012, 19:06

Unimpressed.

• demmike

Jun 21st 2012, 19:56

I'm going to say something that no one else has said - this film is like The Raid

• EddieFelson

Jun 22nd 2012, 8:44

I dont think Olivia Thirlby makes a good Anderson, from what I have seen in the trailer, for some reason she doesnt seem to fit which is a shame because Anderson had some of the best story lines in 2000AD and I loved the wierd dynamic between her and Dredd

• georgeWW

Jun 22nd 2012, 9:36

Can't wait to see this finally an adaption worthy of the comics, Lena Headey will be amazing as always and Karl Urban seams to fit the part of dredd pretty well

• FBCChurilla

Jun 22nd 2012, 10:32

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like filming for this was completed before "The Raid" was. But that doesn't mean a damn thing, all that matters is which one was RELEASED first, so your average movie-goer will think this ripped off "The Raid".

• irish

Jun 23rd 2012, 10:48

I liked the Stallone movie. Urban looks the part.

• Seedorf

Jun 23rd 2012, 11:17

Interesting. Most people here think it looks good. On another site, most people think it looks awful, and no it isn't Empire. :) It looks ok. It will either be average, or it will stink. IMO.

• gquinn81

Jun 23rd 2012, 12:22

Looks ok. At least Rob f*****g Schneider isn't in it.

• Mattsimus

Jun 23rd 2012, 21:12

Ok i saw the stallone version at the flicks when I was younger and thought it was cool, I invested in the DVD also about 2 yrs ago and im still happy to see it! When I saw the stallone Dredd trailer I thought s**t yes! when I saw this trailer I thought for the first 30 seconds it looked impressive, by the time the trailer had faded I was disappointed and thought upto the part when I saw Karl Urban as Dredd and then spoke it looked good BUT IM NOT CONVINCED!....................plus the stallone version was like 17 yrs ago they should have learned from mistake by now any how. I agree this is gonns be average or s**t.........................XMX

• gquinn81

Jun 23rd 2012, 22:44

True, Rob Schneider wasn't the worst thing about the original Dredd film, but that just proves how f*****g awful it was if you ask me. Dredd shouldn't have a comedy sidekick ffs! Hopefully this will be better but that wouldn't be hard and, yes, it looks like he keeps his helmet on, which is definitely a good thing.

• Mattsimus

Jun 24th 2012, 16:04

Stallones judge dredd was a good popcorn flick and entertained, however in this day and age you should expect a lot from movies, firstly because technology is incredible, secondly as mistakes from previous efforts should be learned from and finally as the right directors seem to be paying more attention to the detail of the comics! Having said that this trailer is AVERAGE, although I never thought much of the trailers for the lord of the rings but the movies turned out incredible so hey ho.................... heres hoping!

• gundamseed1

Jun 25th 2012, 16:20

he looks like dredd and acts like dredd soo its fine in my books

• Mattsimus

Jun 25th 2012, 19:42

He looks like dredd? ok Helmet check! got the put on voice that he used in LOTR / Riddick check! you have deciphered he acts like dredd from a 2 1/2 min trailer which is nonsense......err check! Waste your dosh im not check!

• thejonner

Jul 3rd 2012, 19:02

Isn't that drug like Brass Eye's 'cake'? Does it affect the part of the brain known as Shatner's Bassoon?