First full trailer for Resident Evil: Retribution: watch now

Umbrella is more powerful than ever

Resident Evil: Retribution has released a first full trailer in which Milla Jovovich's ass-kicking heroine Alice, finds herself back in the clutches of the nefarious Umbrella Corporation.

The trailer begins with Alice living in some kind of suburban fantasy-land, only for her family home to fall under attack from a horde of marauding zombies. It soon transpires that this newfound domestic bliss is an illusion generated by Umbrella, who are holding our heroine captive.

"Everyone I've ever known and everything I've ever done is being used against me," she says ominously, before demonstrating an unwillingness to go quietly by kicking seven shades out of a swarm of faceless aggressors.

Take a look at the new trailer, below…

The plot sees Alice travelling the world in search of those responsible for triggering the latest viral outbreak, with human extinction looming large over proceedings. Meanwhile, all the traditional Resident Evil elements appear to be present and correct, with bags of OTT action, cheeseball dialogue and Jovovich in another figure-hugging outfit.

Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson and co-starring Michelle Rodriguez, Resident Evil: Retribution will open in the UK on 28 September 2012. Teenage boys, your ship has come in...

What do you make of the new trailer? Tell us your thoughts, below...

Comments

• LukeSween

Jun 15th 2012, 7:45

Looks turd but even with that summary, still looks better than the last one

• QuietLife

Jun 15th 2012, 8:27

Oh christ, not another one!?!??

• metalgatesolid

Jun 15th 2012, 8:29

Wow...Why wont it die??? Paul W.S Anderson has done maybe 2 decent films. Resident Evil will always be the worst collection of films. The opening sequence to the trailer ripped straight from the Dawn Of The Dead remake, the rubbish fan pleasers dont make up for it. The games can get away with silly costumes as the horror is there. Please Resi take a bullet to the head and lets restart using real terror.

• thedanieljson

Jun 15th 2012, 8:39

@metalgatesolid that beginning does look identical doesn't it! Especially her coming out onto the street to see the chaos. Sad to see a genuinely decent film get ripped off in one that's likely to be a massive crock. In fairness, it looks better than some of the previous instalments... But don't trust a film by it's trailer eh.

• Otrain

Jun 15th 2012, 9:12

Is this guy serious!? Muskateers 2? Paul W.S. Anderson to make another film? MENTAL

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 15th 2012, 9:31

i knew it wouldn't be long before you reared your ugly fekkin potato head... this series has never ever been good. the games however have nearly always been awesome. it still p**ses me off that they could have had Romero do the original film.

• nacho316

Jun 15th 2012, 9:51

END IT, END IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ChrisWootton

Jun 15th 2012, 9:55

WHy is it sexist to see Milla Jojovich in 3D?. Isn't it more sexist to say "see Leon Kennedy in 3D"? when Milla Jojovich is the star of this (c**p) series of films.. I don't even know why I am starting this debate.. I feel as though I am about to have an argument with someone who is basically the embodiment of all of Spinal Tap.

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 15th 2012, 9:56

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html worth reading for what could have been...

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 15th 2012, 10:28

these films only exist because of straight teenage boys...

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 15th 2012, 10:28

actually they are an insult to teenage boys!

• writerdave87

Jun 15th 2012, 10:47

Yeah but it's because of morons like you that Paul Wankstain Anderson has been able to keep churning these travesties out.

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 15th 2012, 10:47

so why the hell do you waste your time with them? thats the films, not teenage boys obviously...

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 15th 2012, 11:16

@the Kock, i love the games, which is why i hate the films. are you wankstain's agent?

• 2Dglasses

Jun 15th 2012, 11:18

does michelle rodriguez have an 'i cant die' clause?! Look forward to seeing her in Avatar 2.

• writerdave87

Jun 15th 2012, 11:24

My Paul WS Anderson mouth??

• Otrain

Jun 15th 2012, 11:29

King of Cinema has some issues methinks!? Maybe go and look at some proper director's films? (nearly every single thing that Paul W.S. Anderson hasn't been involved with) oh and easy with the insults/cursing there buddy

• smellyhands

Jun 15th 2012, 11:34

Hahhaa, I love the way they must have the same marketing team as the guys who made the last Underworld film. I recall that also had " Kate Beckinsale In 3D". Its clever because they know that they can get away with it. I've only watched the first Resident Evil which I thought was a disgrace to film in general and completely detached from the games look and feel. This film looks like more of the same trash. What saddens me more is that the games seem to be heading down the same territory with Resi 6.

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 15th 2012, 11:51

Please stop it with the lists, you are worse than Total Film! and half of those games you mentioned are s**t too :)

• Mings

Jun 15th 2012, 12:25

My main problem with the Resident Evil movies is that I can't figure out what they are trying to be. They are not horror because they are not scary. They are not action because they are not exciting. They are not thrillers because they are not thrilling. They are not good because they suck. So if I was looking to watch a good action horror thriller, a Resident Evil film isn't it. I am sorry, King of Cinema. I know you have some quirky film choices, which is fine because we all do really, but with Resident Evil movies you are defending the indefensible. What do you see when you watch these films that I don't? Bad acting, paper thin plotting, shoddy dialogue, overblown CGI. And you know this might be sexist, but the ONLY reason I would watch another of these films is to watch Milla Jovovich in tight outfits.

• QuietLife

Jun 15th 2012, 14:02

£20 says when WS Anderson is done with this shocking pile of excrement he takes on Lollipop Chainsaw...

Jun 15th 2012, 15:49

Saying the first one is better than the last one, is like saying you would rather have a pineapple inserted in your arsspipe than a cattle-prod. Its still going to be a sh*t experience either way.

• FBJRider

Jun 15th 2012, 15:56

Can't wait for this, it's a good as a throwaway series for fans of the games. Don't take them so seriously, they aren't trying to be masterful pieces of cinema. Go back to your art house films if you can't handle mindless high octane action flicks like these, at least Rhianna's not in it. I love the way the beginning is like something from a rom-com.

• marc96

Jun 15th 2012, 16:27

as soon as i saw how many comments there had been about this trailer i knew the reason why sadly.... i dont mind the films, granted they're tend to have a crappy story etc but its easy viewing when theres nothing else on. they wont be getting any money off me to see it though, will wait for it to come on tv

• Mings

Jun 15th 2012, 17:15

Please don't get me wrong - a film doesn't need to be 'art house' or pretentious to be any good. It just needs to be good, which they aren't, fan of the games or not. £10-15 a ticket at some cinemas is not 'throwaway' entertainment in my book. It's two hours wages from work (which I won't get back) for two hours of watching sub-par genre fodder (that I wouldn't get back either). I love high octane action nonsense, but Resident Evil movies are too anaemic to be described as such. 'High octane' to me implies something more visceral that jump cut editing, slow mo sequences and annoyingly obvious CGI work. All of these things are actually good in the context of a game, but much as they would like to try and cross over into each other, cinema is a different beast altogether.

Jun 15th 2012, 17:27

Manure.

Jun 15th 2012, 17:42

I know its popcorn but the original games were a masterclass in terror, even the very first PS1 one.. when 2 undead shuffle slowly down the hall and you only have 5 bullets. There's your SUSPENSE. Some how that translated to 'stupidly athletic one-woman-army shooting bad CGI while doing the splits under lasers'.

• writerdave87

Jun 15th 2012, 18:35

Actually Dalidab Mings' posts in this thread were more intelligent and well thought than anything you've ever said. He's not 'bullying' anyone, he's not trying to be funny, he's ignoring you and making a considered, valid point about why the vast majority of serious film fans don't like the Resident Evil films. People have different opinions to you (in fact most do, as you have the film taste and intelligence of a squirrel on crack). Get over it. If you'd like to be bullied, come over to leeds sometime. I will happily give you some of the persecution you so obviously crave.

• StevePotter

Jun 15th 2012, 20:34

Whoa! What did Mings do? And I want a quote, not just a paraphrase. I honestly don't see why you're attacking Mings, bro.

• StevePotter

Jun 15th 2012, 20:36

Screw it, moderator alerted, this is getting ridiculous.

• marc96

Jun 15th 2012, 21:02

i tried it, they didnt do anything, he'll just create a new account anyway... its a shame that movie fans cant come together with their own opinions without being verbally abused for it

• Jeffbiscuits

Jun 15th 2012, 22:00

For a more interesting (and less offensive) experience please visit www.paintdrying.com or if angry bigotry is your thing, how about www.deviantpotatoman.com

• Jeffbiscuits

Jun 15th 2012, 22:01

Wow. One of those is a real site.

• writerdave87

Jun 15th 2012, 22:51

Seriously KoC what the f**k is wrong you, you psychotic, hateful, disgusting malodorous s**teating scumsucking piece of rancid donkey s***k?? Mings posted a very well-made, intelligent post about EXACTLY what is wrong with the Resident Evil films (he didn't even lay into Paul WS anderson FFS and god knows that hack deserves it), and you're accusing him of 'bullying'? News for you you fat little lumpy-headed knobjockey, you're the biggest bully on here. You're a vile little cretin. You're attacking random people for no reason, accusing us of bullying you when you're calling people 'bent' and 'mongs'. You're so hypocritical you'd be funny if you weren't so depressingly pathetic. You harp on about how we're persecuting you because of your supposed autism or your twisted perverted sexuality (it's not because you're gay, it's because you keep telling us about how much you want to f**k kids), yet it's somehow ok for you to sling around insults that belittle mentally disabled people or, bizarrely, gay people? Literally how have you not accidentally drowned drinking a glass of water at this stage of your life? Are you posting from a padded cell? Do us all a favour and go jump off a high bridge. The human race would be inestimably better off with your fat carcass rotting in a ditch somewhere.

• writerdave87

Jun 15th 2012, 22:51

Also Jeff you have no idea how disappointed I am that deviantpotatoman.com is not a real site.

Jun 15th 2012, 23:22

Anderson is definately the new Uwe Boll(ox)

• QuietLife

Jun 16th 2012, 0:13

Although it pained me to do so, I've re-read each post and cannot understand what Dalidab found offensive with Mings' post. The point that was made (quite well) was that the films have never, ever managed to hit any genre with which they aimed for. Why does this spud-man love Anderson so much that he takes it as a personal insult whenever he announces yet another cash-in sequel? And (I repeat myself) what happened on the set of Event Horizon that managed to make it so much better than this tripe?!?!?!

• joker16

Jun 16th 2012, 0:20

@Writerdave *Fist bump*

• bachchan

Jun 16th 2012, 14:36

why are we still being subjected to these so called "Resident Evil" movies? They have so little to do with the classic games that they should be rebranded "Generic actoiner with former model-19" This move will be a turd!

• StevePotter

Jun 17th 2012, 15:50

@Koc- You're a biphobic little prick with terrible taste in movies. There. That was a hateful, abusive comment. Now let's see you not care.

• writerdave87

Jun 17th 2012, 18:19

Funny how you don't care about people being directly insulting to you now, yet Mings makes a post that has nothing to do with you and you totally go off on a hate-filled diatribe.

• smellyhands

Jun 17th 2012, 20:59

You can always mock his BFF Lindsay Lohan and watch him fly off the handle.

• smellyhands

Jun 17th 2012, 21:35

I didnt know she was doing very well filming Elizabeth Taylor biopic Liz and Dick. Please, Do go on.

• smellyhands

Jun 17th 2012, 23:30

Zzzzzzzzzzz....

• StevePotter

Jun 17th 2012, 23:48

So you no longer care?! Wonderful! You also look like a potato.

• alexr

Jun 18th 2012, 10:58

@ TheKingofDalidab What was the 7th Resi game you liked? You gave us 6 of them, but stated you'd list your top seven... I am just curious? Personally, I only like Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 4. Code Veronica felt like a rehash of Claire Redfield's story in Resi 2 (IMHO) and the less said about Nemesis and that God-awful shooter on the Wii, the better. As for the movies, I don't like them. Not because of PWSA, as I liked Event Horizon. It's just that they ARE NOT Resident Evil at all. If you like them, so be it, that's your choice. The very essence of the original Resident Evil games was the tension and the storyline, which pretty much defined the survival horror genre as a whole. The movies have none of it, instead relying on by the numbers action set pieces and the sexuality of Milla Jovovich. It's like someone has taken Street Fighter 2, changed all the characters into foreign versions of themselves, crowbarred a couple of fights into the middle of the movie, included a pretty pop star with a nice a*s and released it as a Street Fighter The Movie. Oh wait...

• thejonner

Jun 18th 2012, 20:12

"@crazyrapeguy you are still a unfunny prick & btw I only own In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale & Far Cry on dvd you f**king t**t. but I am still trying to find Alone in the Dark on dvd. now f**k off you piece of s**t & unfunny judgemental bell end. :)" The lack of self awareness in this comment is simply breathtaking. Keep up the good word, KoC.

• thejonner

Jun 18th 2012, 20:13

*work* Still, it least it's only my fingers slipping, rather than the cogs in my brain. Right, KoC?

• writerdave87

Jun 18th 2012, 22:31

Er, news flash numb nuts. Making dozens of people hate your very guts, showing them you're in reality just a fat little bald overgrown baby and about as imposing as a puddle of sick, then broadcasting your real name, address, interests, location, and travel itinerary across the internet isn't 'defending yourself', it's making yourself very easy to find. I live an hours drive from your favourite cinema. At a conservative estimate I could have located you about three or four times by now. I know what you look like, I know where you live, and I know the names of your mother and sister who live with you. That's not because I'm some amazing computer person, or because I'm a super stalker, it's because I have the ability to google things and because you are a complete idiot who has no idea just how easy it would be for someone who really found him offensive to drive over to Wakefield, find you, and kick the everloving s**t out of you.

• StevePotter

Jun 18th 2012, 22:39

Hear hear. Unfortunately, he's not really worth the trip across the Atlantic.

• StevePotter

Jun 18th 2012, 22:40

For me, that is.

• moviemichael

Jun 19th 2012, 5:06

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all.

• alexr

Jun 19th 2012, 9:37

(Sings) "Love is in the air..."

• writerdave87

Jun 19th 2012, 12:28

No stalking needed, just google 'Dabion Donaldson Wakefield' and just see what comes up. You have a pretty distinctive name, and a complete inability to keep your mouth shut. Welcome to the information age.