First image of Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man online

Check out the new suit...

Only days ago Andrew Garfield was snapped on set of the Spider-Man reboot, but he was in his Peter Parker garb then.

Now the first official shot of the actor in the Spidey suit has hit the web, and it looks pretty impressive…

Garfield's slight frame lends itself to the fact that this redo is going back to Parker's younger days at high-school.

The trademark red-and-blue suit is instantly recognisable, though it's had some subtle design upgrades.

For starters, the material looks to have a tougher, more rubbery texture than the lycra number that Maguire donned, and there's less emphasis on the webbing.

The colours appear a little darker, but that could be down to the lighting of the shot, and there's less red on the torso.

This image makes it look as if Parker has taken a bit of a battering, but the context of the scene is currently a mystery.

Also impressive? Garfield seems to have got the angst teen look down pat.

The Marc Webb directed 3D reboot is due to hit cinemas in summer 2011.

Like the look of the new suit? Does this image change your opinion of the reboot? Tell all below!

Comments

• matty2392

Jan 13th 2011, 22:45

he looks so small looks like he's not even got any muscle at least tobey maguire got some muscles on him. Every time some news comes out for this it looks worse every time

• deedeedragons

Jan 14th 2011, 0:43

Completely trying to pander to the Twilight crowd. He's been fighting yet he still has his school bag? looks like a lot of emo trash.

• MadMatt

Jan 14th 2011, 1:08

So they've gone the gimp suit route, then? Hmm. Kinda preferred the fabric and webbing approach of the original films; at least that's slightly more plausible if he's supposed to have made the suit himself.

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

*Sighs. God you people are so negative its unbelievable. Oooh he's got his school bag, yeah that totally makes it emo. Everything dark now - Twilight, Twilght, Twilight, grow up. I suppose this is Twilight-esque too right? (http://www.cyjen.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/the-dark-knight-batman-1230.jpg). This reboot has a lot of good things going for it, it has a much better cast; anyone who's seen any of the films he's in will know Andrew Garfield is a great actor, I mean you could do worse than having an Oscar-nominated (come on, we all know he's getting a nom for The Social Network) actor as your lead? And Emma Stone? Martin Sheen? Sally Field? Rhys Ifans? Plus Marc Webb has a lot of potential; I absolutely love (500 Days of Summer). And last but not least, I think the suit looks pretty bad-a*s. Seriously guys, chill out. Remember all the doubt round Batman Begins? Look how hat turned out.

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

*Sighs. God you people are so negative its unbelievable. Oooh he's got his school bag, yeah that totally makes it emo. Everything dark now - Twilight, Twilght, Twilight, grow up. I suppose this is Twilight-esque too right? (http://www.cyjen.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/the-dark-knight-batman-1230.jpg). This reboot has a lot of good things going for it, it has a much better cast; anyone who's seen any of the films he's in will know Andrew Garfield is a great actor, I mean you could do worse than having an Oscar-nominated (come on, we all know he's getting a nom for The Social Network) actor as your lead? And Emma Stone? Martin Sheen? Sally Field? Rhys Ifans? Plus Marc Webb has a lot of potential; I absolutely love (500 Days of Summer). And last but not least, I think the suit looks pretty bad-a*s. Seriously guys, chill out. Remember all the doubt round Batman Begins? Look how that turned out.

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

Jan 14th 2011, 1:18

Jan 14th 2011, 1:19

Sorry for the 10 posts, my bad

Jan 14th 2011, 2:09

Yeah he does look a bit skinny, more post-graduate halloween party..oh well lets see how it goes,

• ohdannyboy11304

Jan 14th 2011, 2:34

TheDude is right. Spider-Man was always meant to be flexible and skinny, getting bitten by a spider doesn't give you muscles, he's not the Hulk. And what the f*ck does Spider-Man have to do with Twilight? Peter Parker is a school kid, as the last trilogy ended with Peter out of college even, they probably wanted to send a message that the high school approach is what they're going for this time. It's a carefully calculated promotional image remember. So yes he has his schoolbag, he's a superhero who's at high school, part of Spider-Man's early appeal, and yes he's been fighting... he's a f*cking superhero. And nothing pandered more to the emo crowd than Spider-Man 3, and we all know it's going to be better than that.

• bertus1

Jan 14th 2011, 5:50

Aaaah look at his little p***s

• ChrisWootton

Jan 14th 2011, 9:23

Ok, we all know that the reboot isn't that welcome but I gotta go with the Dude on this one.. and not just because he posted 10 times :) Oh and have they got rid of the organic web slinging? It looks like he has web shooters on his wrist.. I'll definitely watch it but may wait for dvd

• Jorarl

Jan 14th 2011, 11:07

If you look closely, he has web shooters. Back to 70's film Spider-Man then.

• DanRose

Jan 14th 2011, 13:36

The first couple of comments are laughable in regards to his statue and the bag!! Are you serious?? He's a school kid who gets bitten by a spider! He's not a massive person and as for the emo comment... please... have something more constructive to say rather than just throwing a lazy stereo type about... do you even know what emo means? I think the suit and Garfield look good... I really like Garfield... brilliant in Kid A and Red Riding

• SpideyLew

Jan 14th 2011, 21:45

I think the suit looks amazing. I totally agree with TheDudeAbides". Andrew Garfield is a fantastic actor. He will put a massive stamp on the character. Emma Stone is perfectly cast for Gwen too. I'm tired of hearing people talk about how skinny Andrew Garfield is. As "ohdannyboy" says, Spider-Man is not the Hulk. Garfield looks how Peter should in the costume. He's supposed to be the ordinary boy thrown into an extraordinary situation. I belong to the crowd of few that did not totally hate Spider-Man 3. I was happy to give Raimi a chance with 4 to try and re-capture the magic of 2. Again i may be in the less popular category, but i didn't flip at the idea of a reboot. When i heard Garfield got the role i didn't pan the guy as i hadn't seen him in anything. So i picked up "Boy A", and ive backed him ever since.Garfield will nail this role. To all the people slamming the movie BEFORE it's out, if you don't want to see it, then don't. I am excited as HELL. And Total Film, please stop with the errors, the film is not out in Summer 2011. Your reporting is filled with more and more errors each article. Get it sorted.

Jan 14th 2011, 23:34

Am I the only one here who's seen 500 Days Of Summer and see's the potential in Marc Webber ?

• TheEnigma

Jan 15th 2011, 2:14

Gritty... Darker... Edgier...

• photoflash

Jan 15th 2011, 10:58

got a bad feeling about this!!!

• SpideyLew

Jan 15th 2011, 13:02

@Ali1748 I see a lot of potential with Webb too mate. (500) Days of Summer is a brilliant film that i must have watched 20 times last year. I was more than happy when i saw Webb' name become attached to this. I've been excited with each bit of casting too, with the exception of Rhys Ifans. I've not criticised his involvement though as it would be unfair to do so without seeing him in the film first.

• SpideyLew

Jan 15th 2011, 13:02

• MagneticEye84

Jan 16th 2011, 22:02

It's pretty obvious that there aren't too many folks posting here that know anything about Spider-MAN'S comic book history. For example, Peter's nerdy high school existance lasted 38 issues. He graduated, went to college and continued crimefighting into adulthood. Since 1966, the "Amazing Spider-MAN" comic books have about a MATURE, GROWN UP MAN Peter Parker and his alter ego Spider-MAN. We are now up to issue # 652. The audacity of PHONY SONY to perpetuate the high school era is astounding and simply a CASH COW milking exercise aimed at the TWEEN market. I have stopped supporting MARVEL super hero films by PHONY SONY & FOX ABATTOIRS at the cinema because they are not AUTHENTIC adaptations. They are far from TRUE & FAITHFUL. They totally disrespect the original mainstream source material. This film appears to a mix up of the original 616 Marvel Universe and the second rate "Ultimate" Spiderman series, a comic book series that is a very small alternate universe depicting Spiderman's teen years. In this series he has organic webshooters. Hopefully one day we will get a proper reboot by MARVEL STUDIOS depicting a mature grown up man Peter Parker as Spider-MAN, just like the comic books have been for the last 45 years. PHONY SONY can keep it's COUNTERFEIT SPIDER-BOY franchise.

• MagneticEye84

Jan 17th 2011, 0:28

@ dalidab1982 yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah. Step on on few toes did I??? Did I hurt your feelings? LOL, the facts speak for themselves. Why should Spider-MAN fans have to put up with yet another franchise that depicts his teenage years. That is such a small window in Spider-MAN'S history and we've been there done that with Raimi's version. I couldn't care less if you don't appreciate the fact that the "Amazing Spider-MAN" books for the last 45 years have depicted a MATURE GROWN UP MAN. You obviously don't know the comic books nor the true essence of Spider-MAN. If you did, you wouldn't write such an obnoxious reply sounding off as a pre pubescent w****r. I will DARE to write informed opinions. Who do think you are???? Freedom of speech mate. I have every right as a film lover and collector of over 5000+ comics to post what I want concerning a supposed adaptation of a comic book character. You should get a life w****r!!!!! and get over your Spider-BOY obsession. LOL

• Monkeynuts30

Jan 17th 2011, 6:55

Gotta agree with Magnetic in some regards... if it ain't Marvel Studios it just ain't Marvel at all

• MagneticEye84

Jan 17th 2011, 14:23

@ dalidab1982 That's cool man, no offence taken. I guess I can get pretty riled up too, because like you I'm very passionate about Spiderman. I've been reading Marvel comics since the age of ten in 1975 and have almost acquired the entire run of "Amazing Spiderman" so I hope you can understand my wanting to see a movie based on the original comic book series. :-) Having said that, I do also have some of the "Ultimate" comics. I think they are well done, but I just can't relate to them as much as I do the other series. So differences aside and you don't need to apologise. As you say we are all entitled to our opinions. :-) I really like Andrew Garfield as an actor and thought he was terrific in "The Social Network" . I hope you'll enjoy the new movie, but I'll probably catch it on DVD rental and still keep hoping for a Marvel Studio adaptation one day. Cheers!