First image of Henry Cavill as Superman

The new Man Of Steel revealed!

The first image of Henry Cavill as Superman has appeared online.

The shot, from Zack Snyder's 2013 rework Man Of Steel, features Cavill/Supes bursting into a bank vault in the same way that mere mortals might saunter through a partition made from, umm, tissue paper and feathers.

We're liking the costume's air of freshly minted shiny-ness. Not too sure about the heavily lacquered hair, though.

The new issue of Total Film magazine - on sale today - features an exclusive interview with Cavill. Read a preview here.

Thoughts? Are we now slightly more excited about Snyder's Steel? Or is it a reboot too far?

Comments

• mrblonde

Aug 4th 2011, 15:32

I think this first image looks great! Henry Cavill looks the part and I'm optimistic that he'll make a great Superman. I thought with the DC relaunch, they would have gone with the design of his new costume from the comics, but it looks as if they have stuck with his original look. I like all the casting decisions so far for the film and can't wait to see what Zach Snyder has in store for summer 2013!

• badger86

Aug 4th 2011, 15:49

I like that. The suit looks excellent, the dulled blue and darker reds look good. If the film itself runs with the mood of this shot I'll be happy. Although I'm not sure if I want supes to go completely down the dark and brooding path. but l would very much like to see him get really p********f, like when he destroys the U.N building in 'kingdom come'. Kryptonian rage, oh yeah.

• affro360

Aug 4th 2011, 16:12

the S looks like its from scooby doo...

• ChrisWootton

Aug 4th 2011, 16:43

He's stolen Thor's costume! Looks... erm... like a picture of Superman.

• Peachy556

Aug 4th 2011, 16:53

Hair looks s**t, costume is great

• StevePotter

Aug 4th 2011, 19:35

The hair is a joke, the costume is AMAZING

Aug 4th 2011, 19:54

Now that is what I am talking about.

• MikeyRix

Aug 4th 2011, 20:52

Upon hearing of Cavill's casting I was doubtful. This, however, has made my mind do a 180.

• Frankie88

Aug 4th 2011, 21:06

There just has to be a staring contest between Cavill and Shannon, the intensity of that is gonna up to eleven. The picture is great, btw.

• Jeffbiscuits

Aug 4th 2011, 21:48

The suit looks pretty cool but doesn't really look like something Martha Kent whipped up with her sewing machine

• Mattsimus

Aug 4th 2011, 21:48

To be fair im a little more interested now ive seen the pic! looks more like a comic book adap of supes to film, instead of a lame chris reeve rip off, having said that I thought brandon routh was great. costume I like. It also looks like superman may be the buffest entry yet!! not fussed about the hair, cant really complain as ya cant really make out weather its bad or not from the shot, plus my hair looks great so f**k it.......Long Live SUPERMATT.......................

• MadMatt

Aug 4th 2011, 23:30

Bring out the gimp! Seriously, why do all superheroes have to be rubber-fetishists? I preferred the more plausible fabric of Raimi's Spider-Man and Donner's classic Supes flick. A modern interpretation of the latter would have been nice. People are fawning over this just because Nolan is involved, but looked at objectively it isn't much different from Brandon Routh's outfit which caused a minor outcry amongst nerds at the time.

• willow138

Aug 5th 2011, 0:32

i am going to Jersey next week for my best mates bday and to support her float in Battle Of The Flowers. Their float this year consists of a 8 ft tall superman made from flowers. I just found out the Cavill is from their village and his parents are helping on the float! I am going to meet his parents in 6 days time! epic

• willow138

Aug 5th 2011, 0:32

• darkknight84

Aug 5th 2011, 18:58

Superman flies through fire, gets caught in blast waves, and gets pummelled with debris and other hazardous substances and materials. wearing cotton or nylon wouldn't really stand up the task of keeping supes decent in these events would they ? what superman needs is a material that's as tough as he is, and withstands the harshest of fabric trauma :D . which is why the costume designers came up with this kind of fabric weave pattern, to emphasise its unearthly origin and durability. I mean, no one wants to see superman's junk because momma kents nylon tights went up in flames whiles supes was rescuing a kitty from a house fire.

• Mattsimus

Aug 5th 2011, 20:38

@darkknight 84 too funny mate and so true! @willow seriously is that true? now that s**t is cool! give ma n pa my fluffy Love! and yeah its def a superhero gimp outfit, but im gonna hold ma hand up n say Daddy like!!!!!! Not convinced though regarding yet another exciting bank heist!!!!!! cmon, get him savin a kitten, sucking up all the old chewing gum from the sidewalk, p**sin like a fire hydrant over a towering inferno, donating to the local sperm bank.......dull dull dull how bout supermans very own hair gel range!!!!! anything but another BANK..........still looking forward to it though XMX

• willow138

Aug 5th 2011, 23:16

yup true! @darknight84 supes suit cant be damaged when its on him no matter what its made of unless its kryptonite doing the damage

• rc1278