First Looper poster revealed

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis get future proofed

Looper, the upcoming action sci-fi from Brick director Rian Johnson, is a film that we're particularly excited about, so we were pleased to see the first poster revealed… and it's looking rather cool.

Anyone who has followed the film with a passing interest will be unsurprised to discover that the poster focusses on Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis, who play the same character, Joe, at different points in time.

JGL plays a hitman who whacks targets sent back in time from 30 years in the future, but he faces a brain-melting conundrum when tasked with offing his older self.

Johnson has always subverted genre expectations, and we expect him to continue that with Looper. Here's hoping for a lo-fi Inception, with the same combo of cool concept and jaw-dropping execution.

There's something in Gordon-Levitt's leather jacket that recalls Chris Nolan's sci-fi cranium-buster, and it's nice to see an action flick exercising subtlety in its execution (from the visual echoes between the two men, to the explosive detailing).

Check out the Looper poster below:

/Film had the exclusive poster, and apparently there's more goodies (namely a teaser trailer) coming our way next week. Bring it on!

Looper opens in the UK on 28 September 2012. If we had a black-market time machine, we'd be tapping in that date right now.

Impressed with the Looper poster? Pleased to see an action film one-sheet showing some restraint? Let us know!

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Apr 7th 2012, 11:30

Why does Bruce Willis look normal but JGL look like a toy?

• FBJWalters

Apr 7th 2012, 11:30

Rian Johnson is one of my favourite directors, and |I've been watching out for Looper for over a year now. I really can't wait. Posters looks amazing, as well.

Apr 7th 2012, 12:00

The plot hurts my brain. Its like the whole of Source Code..da fuq?

• Nashnash

Apr 7th 2012, 13:05

JGL kind of looks like half of his face is Bruce Willis, which is what I thought they were going for until I scrolled and saw a regular Bruce underneath. Weird. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. I bought Brick on a whim when I worked at Oxfam and someone donated it and I love it. And JGL. And, to a lesser extent, Bruce, so I reckon this will be mint.

Apr 7th 2012, 16:33

Cool poster. I loved Brick so I'll be keeping an eye on this.

• MorganRoss

Apr 7th 2012, 21:23

The reason JGL looks a little odd here is because he wears a little bit of prothesis on his face in the film to make him look a little more like a young Willis. I think this is a great move and am looking forward to seeing it play out; I'm sick of films where they just chuck two famous people in as the same character at different ages and expect you to accept the fact they don't look anything like each other but one day might.

• thedanieljson

Apr 8th 2012, 0:40

I loved Brick; it was insanely intelligent, sharp and funny too.. Looper sounds fascinating, can't wait. Sweet poster idea too.

• FBLOzarowski

Apr 9th 2012, 21:49

@ChrisWootton its because they spent 3 hrs a day doing makeup on JGL to make him look more like bruce willis.