First official image for Tim Burton's Dark Shadows

Recreates classic TV cast photo

The first official image from Tim Burton's big screen update of Dark Shadows has appeared online.

“I remember seeing a group photograph of the cast of the original series. For me it captured the weird Dark Shadows vibe in a single image,” Burton told Entertainment Weekly

“I had a brief window of opportunity to have our cast present at the same time, the day before principle photography began. We decided to stage a similar picture instead of rehearsing, to see if we captured the Dark Shadows feeling.”

The small-screen TV show turned big-budget film sees Johnny Depp play the lead as vampire Barnabas Collins.

“I do remember, very vividly, practically sprinting home from school in the afternoon to see Jonathan Frid play Barnabas Collins. Even then, at that age, I knew - this has got to be weird,” Depp remembers.

From left to right they are: Dr. Julia Hoffman (Helena Bonham Carter); Carolyn Stoddard (Chloë Moretz); Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green); David Collins (Gulliver McGrath); Victoria Winters (Bella Heathcote); Barnabas Collins (Depp); Mrs. Johnson (Ray Shirley); Willie Loomis (Jackie Earle Haley); Roger Collins (Jonny Lee Miller); Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer).

Does this image capture the original TV show's look and feel? Or is that not important with this film update? Creep to the comments crypt below and have your say!

Comments

• clearwriter

Sep 22nd 2011, 20:22

As looks are all we really have to go on, this has me quite excited. We've probably had enough collaboration between Bonham Carter and Burton (maybe even Depp too) but she's got a cooky, older vibe here that I like. I'm hoping this will bring back Beetlejuice/Batman Returns Burton, especially with Pfeiffer, looking great here.

• FBJBrown22

Sep 23rd 2011, 0:13

This could be a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing theres been quite a few Bonham Carter/Burton collaborations because she happens to be his wife.

• anant

Sep 23rd 2011, 4:05

it looks good! Michelle Pfeiffer, Eva Green, Helena and Johnny Depp are all looking very good! Can't wait for this one!

• ChrisWootton

Sep 23rd 2011, 9:22

Yawn, it's crazy Depp, cooky Burton and Carter in a movie version of a series that I've never heard of. Bored of Depp now and especially Burton.. ALice in WOnderland was absolute cack.

• JohnnyMac

Sep 23rd 2011, 10:04

It's a good cast, but like ChrisWootton said, I've never heard of the show. I don't think there is a built in market for this outside of America. I've had a look at a few clips on the net, and it appears it might have a cult following for the same reasons as 'Cell Block H'. If Burton and Depp are going to return to top form, this maybe the perfect source material to inspire them. But I'm not holding my breath.

• ebyandsmartie

Sep 23rd 2011, 12:36

Looks good, cast amazing, but with this image I'm getting an 'Addams Family' vibe. I hope Burton goes cool and not campy!

• DivineSugar

Sep 23rd 2011, 15:12

Wow looks great! Depp is Barnabus Collins that's awesome. I'm glad they are keeping the look true to the tv show and not trying to update everything. I can't wait to see it.

Sep 25th 2011, 22:18

Nice to see Sick Boy back on the big screen.