First trailer for Disney's The Lone Ranger: watch now

Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer saddle up

The first trailer for Disney’s The Lone Ranger has shown up online, after debuting on US television.

The big-screen adaptation of the TV/radio character comes courtesy of director Gore Verbinski, who brings his Pirates Of The Caribbean star Johnny Depp along for the ride.

If this footage is anything to go by, the film will feature trains, lots of trains. And a lawman who needs to wear a mask (although how anyone could fail to identify Hammer from his cartoonishly striking jaw is beyond us).

What really took us by surprise though was the dearth of big laughs. Anyone expecting a Jack Sparrow-esque, OTT portrayal from Depp is in for a disappointment (in this trailer at least).

Could the serious tone end up being a box-office hinderance? Time will tell. Verbinski clearly showcased his love of westerns in Rango, and looks to be pouring his heart out again here.

Check out the trailer below:

The Lone Ranger opens in the UK on 9 August 2013.

What are your thoughts on the first trailer? Tell us below!

Comments

• anant

Oct 3rd 2012, 17:38

am sorry but i think this trailer made no sense to me! and its boring

• Desperation

Oct 3rd 2012, 18:21

I've actually got less interested in this film now i've seen the trailer.

• ANPCooper

Oct 3rd 2012, 19:33

Actually I quite liked that, I'd imagined it as a quirky "Pirates..." in the West but it looks like it might be a decent action, Western. Looking forward to this one now

• AlfredsDream098

Oct 3rd 2012, 19:38

The last scene where Tonto is under the train was wayyyyy to much like Jack Sparrow.

• pingpong

Oct 3rd 2012, 19:41

@AlfredsDream098: this was my first thought too. Apart from that the trailer isn't showing enough (i sincerely hope so) to judge this movie. It looks like some silly action western movie right now. This could be a good thing, but it also could be very Pirates 3 kindof boring.

• moviemind91

Oct 3rd 2012, 21:10

I've never been too confident about this film. The fact it's produced by Bruckheimer worries me as I ave never enjoyed his films (except Pirates 1). It definitely won't capture the spirit of the original TV series but then again times have changed. I just hope Depp's Tonto isn't like Jack Sparrow, that character is getting more annoying than Jar Jar Binks!

Oct 4th 2012, 3:49

Is this a Wild Wild West reboot ?

• TwoBobRuss

Oct 4th 2012, 7:01

Did they even audition some Native Americans for the role of Tonto?? Or did they just want some big named Pale Face in the role to hide what is likely to be a c**p movie?

• pdanyluk

Oct 4th 2012, 8:11

Where was Lou Diamond Philips during the auditions???

• pdacoakley

Oct 4th 2012, 9:42

So the Lone Ranger has a sidekick???

• ChrisWootton

Oct 4th 2012, 10:05

Lone, as in the only ranger.. something to do with the rest of the rangers being wiped out, so he's allowed to have friends.

• Githrel

Oct 4th 2012, 12:09

This was a film that I had no interest in seeing but now it has piqued my interest. I didn't get the Jack Sparrow similarities, I think Depp has proven as an actor that he is capable of playing interesting and diverse characters, he's no Sean Connery or Seth Rogan. I also didn't get much of a comedic feel from the trailer, maybe the films going to have a darker edge than people seem to be expecting, that would work for me. Here's hoping it surprises the naysayers.

• pdacoakley

Oct 5th 2012, 8:34

Ah cheers Chris never thought of it like that! Always reminded me of the 90's comedy Airheads with the band The Lone Rangers "But there are three of you....you're not exactly lone"