First trailer for R.I.P.D.: watch now

“Tough day”

The first trailer for R.I.P.D. has arrived online, featuring Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds as a pair of undead coppers looking to recover some renegade souls who’ve escaped the afterlife.

Reynolds plays a recently deceased cop who finds himself recruited into the Rest In Peace Department, a group of passed-on lawmen charged with making sure the dead stay that way.

He’s soon partnered up with Jeff Bridges’ grizzled old-timer, and together, the two set about cleaning up the streets and trying to track down the former’s killers.

Take a look, below:

It all looks pretty good fun, with Reynolds and Bridges seemingly channelling Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones’ MIB shtick, with the undead standing in for the aliens.

Adapted from Peter M. Lenkov’s comic-book, directed by Robert Schwentke and co-starring Kevin Bacon, Mary-Louise Parker and Robert Knepper, R.I.P.D. will open in the US on 19 July 2013, and on 30 August in the UK.

What do you think of the first trailer? Tell us, below!

Comments

• hamblender

Apr 18th 2013, 6:44

CGI looks totally dodgy.

• trist808

Apr 18th 2013, 8:25

Looks like a lot of fun and it definitely has an MIB-vibe to it, I agree the CGI looks slightly ropey in some scenes, maybe they'll work on it a bit more before release. Still, I enjoyed the comics and I'm looking forward to seeing this.

• jamestaggart

Apr 18th 2013, 9:36

This looks SO bad. Of course it will be compared to MIB. An organization no one knows about. Two partners, one old and grumpy and the other young and comical. The dead folk in this even LOOK like Aliens, which is a bit odd. This has box office failure written all over it.

• TwoBobRuss

Apr 18th 2013, 9:51

I have not read the graphic novels (so not sure what the tone of them are) but was really hoping this film was going to be dark!! It looks a lot of fun, but I was expecting to be excited by this film - and I'm not!!

• ilikescifi

Apr 18th 2013, 12:51

ha that looks funny

• smellyhands

Apr 18th 2013, 13:41

Yip... its MIB in a slightly different skin. Thats a bad thing. 2/5. Maybe 3/5 if its a bit funny.

Apr 18th 2013, 23:29

Jeff Bridges will win a Razzie for that performance.