First trailer for Spike Lee’s Oldboy remake: watch now

Josh Brolin escapes captivity

The first trailer for Oldboy, the Spike Lee-directed remake of the Park Chan-wook, thriller, has emerged online.

Lifting the plot from the 2003 film (which was itself based on a Japanese manga), this one sees Josh Brolin’s Joe Doucett kept in captivity for 20 years (five years longer than his counterpart in the original), before being released. The reason for his release is as much of a mystery as the reason for his imprisonment, so he sets out on a mission to uncover the truth.

Anyone familiar with the director Park’s film will be aware that his journey leads him to some pretty dark places, which is why the recently released poster caught us off-guard with its bright colour scheme and a bold symbolism.

Watch the first trailer for Oldboy below now:

Pretty full-on, eh? And there are definitely some striking visual echoes of the original film, not least in that corridor brawl...

Brolin is joined by an eclectic cast including Elizabeth Olsen, Samuel L. Jackson and Sharlto Copley.

Oldboy opens in the US on 25 October 2013, before opening in the UK on 6 December 2013.

What’s your instant reaction to the trailer? Reckon this has any chance of standing up against the South Korean original? Tell us below…

Comments

• Bajumeru

Jul 10th 2013, 23:30

I'm super excited for this now. The original is one of my all time favorite films, and this seems to stay true to the spirit of the original, as well as adding some new twists. Definitely looking forward to this!

• StevePotter

Jul 11th 2013, 0:19

I really liked the original, my only problem was that the version I watched had a dub that was so awful it really dragged down the film. Hoping to find a subtitled version... Anyway, this looks interesting, I think I'll see it when it comes out.

• AlSwearengen

Jul 11th 2013, 6:59

I obviously don't hope this one can match the original. But I hope they don't make it exactly like the original. They should take it to a new direction, based on the source material. Maybe we will enjoy it more without comparing it to Park Chan Wook's masterpiece.

• trist808

Jul 11th 2013, 9:13

@AlSwearengen, if you watch the trailer closely, you'll see they've changed one of the major plot-points already. I was skeptical about this, as I love the original and am always disappointed by Hollywood remakes. The 2003 film is so anti-Hollywood in it's themes and story-telling, I was worried they'd botch it big time ... but I like Spike Lee's work and respect him as a director and I think Brolin is inspired casting, so I'm looking forward to seeing this a bit more now after the trailer, will still approach with caution though :-)

Jul 11th 2013, 11:59

Hmm looks ok I guess.

• smellyhands

Jul 11th 2013, 13:30

I'd be intrigued if I hadn't seen this film almost 10 years ago.

• chibik

Jul 11th 2013, 14:07

Frankly, I'll watch it just because of Sharlto Copley.