First trailer for The Cabin In The Woods

It's The Evil Dead with force-fields

The first trailer has been unveiled for Joss Whedon’s genre-melding frightener The Cabin In The Woods, and it looks as though he and director Drew Goddard have had great fun subverting every horror cliché in the book.

The film tells the story of a bunch of weekending young professionals setting out for a booze-fuelled getaway in an isolated country cabin. A country cabin that turns out to be considerably creepier than they’d bargained for.

From the blasé approach of our young protagonists (“It doesn’t even show up on the GPS! It’s unworthy of global positioning!”) to the menacing local at a run-down rest-stop (“Sign says closed!”) all the traditional scary movie plot points appear to be present and correct, before everything takes a turn for the bizarre.

Check out the trailer below…

Yep, that was a force-field you saw a bird fly into. This is clearly the point at which Whedon’s script diverges from the beaten track, with the luckless tourists seemingly pawns in a bizarre game concocted by a group of unseen antagonists.

That said, there seem to be a lot of traditional horror movie flourishes thrown in for good measure. The look of the cabin for example is a clear homage to The Evil Dead, from the eye-like windows to the mounted animal heads within.

We’ll be queuing up to have our nerves frayed and brains scrambled in equal measure, when the film arrives in UK screens on 13 April 2012.

Will this succesfully reinvent the classic horror story, or do too many genres spoil the broth? Let us know, below.

Comments

• JamieTSB

Dec 6th 2011, 10:12

That looks fun, I hope it lives up to the trailer and that more conventions are broken.

• MikeyRix

Dec 6th 2011, 12:24

Hemsworth? The WTF factor? Joss Whedon? I'm IN.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Dec 6th 2011, 12:52

Looks like big dumb fun, wish they didnt show so much in the trailer though, feel like Ive seen it all

• MyHPotter78

Dec 6th 2011, 14:57

an it's guaranteed to be an 18 certificated film and my 18th birthday won't be for another month after the film >:( it sucks being 17 :/

Dec 6th 2011, 18:21

Dude you'll easily get into that unless you look like the Baby Faced Assassin. I was seeing 18's when I was 16.

• smellyhands

Dec 6th 2011, 23:21

Gob: Well, I will tell you this, Michael. I don't have a son ... Narrator: He does. Gob: But if I ever do, I'm either gonna take him to the cabin in the woods. Or I'm gonna promise to take him and then not take him, but the one thing that I will never do is not tell him that I'm taking him to a cabin in the woods, and then not take him. Narrator: Gob was growing up.

• willow138

Dec 7th 2011, 0:07

YES! so glad that Topher from Dollhouse is in this. he is FAB! Joss is my hero. Just incase you hadn't guessed by my user name I LOVE BUFFY. lol Anything Joss does I love.