First trailer for Universal Soldier: Day Of Reckoning

Van Damme returns…

Creaky old action heroes are very much in vogue. After the release of The Expendables 2 this summer, both Arnie and Sly have bagged themselves leading roles again, and now it's the turn of Jean-Claude Van Damme in Universal Soldier: Day Of Reckoning.

He'll be starring opposite fellow Expendables alumnus Scott Adkins, who's on action hero duty here when he discovers his wife and daughter were killed at the hands of Van Damme's baddie, Luc Deveraux.

Dolph Lundgren is also along for the ride as a secondary villain, in what looks to be every bit as OTT an adventure as you might expect.

Take a look at the new trailer, below…

No sign of Van Damme doing the splits here (also one of the primary disappointments in Expendables 2) but all the other big dumb action cues are present and correct. Its like the last thirty years never happened!

A new poster for the throwback action flick has also been released:

Directed by John Hyams and co-starring Andrei "The Pit Bull" Arlovski (suitably macho name, there), Universal Soldier: Day Of Reckoning opens in the US on 30 November 2012, with a UK date to be confirmed.

What do you think of the new trailer? Tell us, below!

Comments

• ScottFree

Sep 13th 2012, 8:11

what the hell was that...?

• Frankie88

Sep 13th 2012, 9:20

The Regeneration was actually good (for the B category action movie, released straight on BDisc for rentals): the grim atmosphere of Chernobyl, the plot with terrorist threatening to blow the reactor which raises the stakes, well-choreographed and filmed action, brutal Arlovski and Van Damme doing his best to portray the "unfit for normal life, but being alive on the battlefield" routine. This, however, looks just as awful as US2 and 3.

Sep 13th 2012, 10:15

Has it really been 20 years since the first one? I'm so old. Anyway, this one is straight to Netflix, do not pass cinema, do not collect DVD sales..

• pdanyluk

Sep 13th 2012, 10:41

Has it really been 20 years since the first one??? Wow, how some films make you feel really old when you think back to their release date. Makes sense I suppose; it was my guilty pleasure as a teen although I could probably quote most of Dolph Lungren's lines.

• SiMan

Sep 13th 2012, 13:09

The first one is still actually a decent 90's actioner and in fact i'd say it is probably Van Damme's best film. They could have made it into a decent enough series, but the sequels were absolutely shocking (weren't there even a few that didn't star JCVD?)

• dex2010

Sep 13th 2012, 17:40

What the f**k?

Sep 13th 2012, 17:59

20 years ago .......ok now I am depressed.

• BobTheSkull

Sep 13th 2012, 18:27

Ok, this makes no sense whatsoever... After the 1st one, there were two UniSol 2's. One was without JCVD that re-wrote the ending of the first one and spawned a further, even worse, sequel. The other followed a different path, with JCVD, the REAL sequel to UniSol. That was UniSol 2 'The Return'. Then recently a further sequel, with JCVD, and a return of Dolph, UniSol 3 'Regeneration' came out. Sooooo, if this is the next instalment, then what the hell happened? JCVD was not a villain in ANY of them, but now he is?! Also, considering the events in Regeneration, I don't see how Dolph could possibly return. They really have spectacularly messed up the continuity, such as it is.

• martinsvennaes

Sep 13th 2012, 22:15

I agree to what has been commented above, but I have thought of a possible explaination for the sudden JCVD villain thing. At the bygning of the previous movie, regeneration, we meet JCVD in some sort of shrink-session. Something was very wrong with him. Could this new movie be - i can not believe i am saying this- a prequel to regeneration? That would explain why Dolph is still going strong. If I am right this would obviously mess up the numbering of this series even more ;-) Btw: i admit its a while since i saw regeneration. Maybe my prequel-theory dosent fit at all... What so you think?

• Frankie88

Sep 13th 2012, 22:34

He's undercover

• thedanieljson

Sep 14th 2012, 0:36

That trailer made me laugh non-stop from start to finish. I hope this is a good thing.

• thedanieljson

Sep 14th 2012, 0:38

P.S. 'have you seen this man?' *shows picture of guy in balaclava*. Oh right yeah makes perfect sense.

• thedanieljson

Sep 14th 2012, 0:41

P.S. 'Luddamadungum ike ostes! De bidatime, yamidea nowyaOWNS' Cheers Dolph.

• BobTheSkull

Sep 14th 2012, 7:58

martinsvennaes, although that's a good theory, I don't think it would work. Dolph 'woke up' in Regeneration as if he'd been in storage since the events of the first film. Some of the dialogue, if I remember right, reflected this. By the look of the trailer for this one, Dolph looks quite heavily involved in the *cough* plot. I don't see him being so active if this is set before Regeneration. No doubt I'll watch this anyway as I've subjected myself to the rest... and then regret it afterwards... Kinda like the Lost Boys sequels *shudder*.

• FBaTaneesh

Nov 29th 2012, 7:58

John Hyams is a director of universal Soldier day of reckoning movie.this is a latest action movie.this director make many awesome movie.I watch many movies of this director .this is my favorite director .if you want to watch universal soldier movie then visit on this site. goo.gl/GUJp4