Five new posters for Star Wars: Episode 1 re-release

And not one of them features Jar-Jar

A batch of new posters has been released ahead of the upcoming re-release of the much maligned Star Wars: Episode 1, and even the staunchest Lucas-basher would have to admit they look pretty cool.

We particularly like the red, lightsaber-themed design, although there’s also something to be said for the Darth Maul close-up, complete with menacing tag-line, “At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.”

We can take or leave that pod-racer imagery to be honest, but as we mentioned in the sub-heading, at least Jar-Jar is nowhere to be seen. Now if only Lucas would edit him out of the cut, altogether…

The posters celebrate the new 3D edition of the film, which Lucas believes will enhance the storytelling experience. “You get the story much faster and much better,” he explains. “It's nothing overwhelming. It's just a better experience, and it's easier to understand the story experience.”

Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace 3D
will open in UK cinemas on 9 February 2012. If those scars have healed over, maybe it’s time to give it another chance?

Will you be giving Episode 1 a second chance? Tell us, below.

Comments

• QuietLife

Jan 13th 2012, 8:53

P!ss off Lucas you money-grabbing bell end.

• JamieTSB

Jan 13th 2012, 10:24

I know they are grabbing every penny they can, and I know that I have given George enough cash to make another three disappointing Star Wars movies, but I will go and see them. I am a sucker for Star Wars, even the 'much maligned' ones.

• Murphy0806

Jan 13th 2012, 11:08

Me too. Although I do have a Cineworld card so technically I'm not spending anything on it.

• JamieTSB

Jan 13th 2012, 11:58

Each to their own. If Star Wars is important to you, then you will be excited, if it isn't then off you go and enjoy the type of films you like, just please don't pointlessly swear and be offensive.

• alexr

Jan 13th 2012, 16:39

@TheKingofDalidab Good point about Ridley Scott's diversity. I love his work. However, I disagree (in part) with your Lucas/Cameron rant. I don't think anyone can claim that George Lucas and James Cameron are in any way similar. Lucas had 3 good ideas - THX1138, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones (American Grafitti doesn't count) - and two of these he has milked mercilessly (Indy 4 was just as bad as The Phantom Menace IMHO). But James Cameron has done Terminator, T2, The Abyss, True Lies, Avatar (I liked it - bit long, but entertaining nonetheless IMO), not to mention directed Aliens and Titanic, and pioneered modern day 3D technology. You may not like Titanic, but many people did. and I am more than happy to let him re-release Titanic in 3D (I probably won't go see it unless my wife drags me, but then I did force her to see Super 8). Cameron's only done 2 cinema releases of Avatar that I am aware of (and I'm glad he did as my father-in-law missed it in 3D the first time around) and 2 versions on DVD/BluRay, unlike Lucas who has done a new version of Star Wars everytime THX or ILM have a software patch (Steve jobs taught him well). If everyone stayed away from the 3D releases of Star Wars, perhaps Lucas would get the f*****g message and make something else - even, God forbid, a new Star Wars trilogy without all the c**p, unneccessary slapstick humour and child-friendly merchandise-baiting characters (Jar Jar, I'm aiming that at you, b***h).

• demmike

Jan 13th 2012, 20:03

the saddest thing is that 12 years on Lucas is still convinced it's a good film. Stupid neckless nut licker

• Indianabones

Jan 13th 2012, 23:10

The reason the Original Star Wars was so good, was that Lucas had a leash on him, the studio wasn't about to let him run wild, which I believe the films would be completely different if he had full reign (is that the correct spelling?) or made it today with the power he has! Lots of crazy CGI. Like Michael Bay, nowadays how things look are better than the story, while before the effects weren't so advanced (still looks worse today than in Ye olde days example The Thing Carpenter and The Thing 2011( can't remember the Director) Regarding the Cineworld pass, as far as i know you have a £3 surcharge for 3D films

• albongo

Jan 16th 2012, 0:19

This movie is going to be a huge money maker. Star Wars and 3D make sense!

• albongo

Jan 16th 2012, 0:26

A message to those complaining about Lucas. No offence, but if you take seriously enough to swear and be angry this much, then you are as big idiots as Lucas himself. The truth is, you love these movies. Good or bad, you enjoy them. Most especialy if you whine about every little fault on it. So please, get over yourselves and be honest about the fact that they are only movies. Your whole bickering has gotten old. I am fully aware of the money grabbing scheme and the poor quality of these films. But the truth is, I do not have a screen large enough to enjoy at home nor 3D capability to begin with so yes, I will spend money on them. But at least, I am not kidding myself about what I'm doing or getting myself into because in the end, it is just a movie. Thank-you. Good night.