Four minutes of Green Lantern footage arrives online

A new look at Ryan Reynolds' superhero

Four minutes of Green Lantern footage has arrived online, following a successful WonderCon preview.

The footage, that you can watch for yourself right now at Apple, is condensed from the 20 minutes that were shown at the currently-running convention.

Following a lacklustre response to the initial trailer, we've been promised that a more impressive promo would arrive soon, possibly in front of Thor.

The ambitious special effects have been problematic so far, with the first trailer revealing Ryan Reynolds' fully-CGI costume before the FX work was complete.

This new look at the movie isn't going to convert its staunchest critics, but it does indicate some marked improvements in the visuals, particularly Reynolds' supersuit.

It also acts a pretty tantalising promo in its own right, setting up the movie's intriguing context, and providing revealing glimpses of Geoffrey Rush's voicework as Tomar-Re, and an impressively-augmented Mark Strong as Sinestro.

We also get a good look at the varied population of the Green Lantern Corps. Oh, and the new footage also proves that, as expected, Reynolds should be utterly ace as Jordan.

Watch the condensed WonderCon footage here.

Like what you're seeing here? Could Green Lantern bounce back to become one of the summer's surprise pleasures? Let us know what you make of the new footage below...

Comments

• BruceShark

Apr 3rd 2011, 16:00

This does go someway to making up for the god awful trailer we got not long ago. Breath still held though.

• nacho316

Apr 3rd 2011, 16:14

I'm still hating it i'm afraid

• Samwise89

Apr 3rd 2011, 17:19

Well there is definately some improvement from the unbelievably poor trailer, especially in the costume department, however it's still not making me want to rush off my seat down to the cinema when it comes out. I've never agreed with Ryan Reynolds for this role, something about him just doesn't seem to fit and it does seem a bit too CGI heavy, that's just me being picky though, but like I said, it's better. Let's hope all our first impressions were wrong and its going to live up to it's potential.

• therealeverton

Apr 3rd 2011, 18:34

It's a vast improvement; i know that's not hard but i'm impressed and it's something i want to see again. More importantly others do too, because I was wondering how my inner geek was going to convince anyone to make the trip to the cinema to see this with me. nobody I knew had any interest after that first trailer. I don't know Hal Jordan the character, I'm mostly familiar with the John Stewart (black) lantern from the cartoon, but people I know hwo actuallr read the comics have said Reynolds' "comic2 persona is more suite to the 4th Lantern, Kyle Rayner (sp). I told them not to be so narrow and thhat Reynolds is a very versatile actor, see The Nines (or Burried I suppose), so I've never been bothered by him, only what the story would be and if sufficient money and time would be devoted to the effects you simply cannot make this film without, and yes CGI it has to be. Thor has similar issues with a large amount of the, significant, portions not set on Earth requiring a lot of effects work. Could we actually get 4 for 4 with this summer's super hero movies? Word on Thor is great, Captain America is the same, X-Men First class may defy the odds (Fox and their cheap, short schedule nonsense) and be good and there is genuine hope for GL again after this.

• writerdave87

Apr 3rd 2011, 18:37

Have to agree, this is a massive improvement on the trailer but still a bit naff-looking. I don't know why, I just don't like the look of it. It's not Reynolds, I like him in a lot of things when he's not dicking about but this just seems 'wrong'.

• matty2392

Apr 3rd 2011, 23:49

still looks awful.

Apr 4th 2011, 5:24

Although that was a much better trailer I am still not liking it. There is way too much dodgy CGI being used.

• AbAeterno

Apr 4th 2011, 6:11

Difficult to determine how this'll turn out, even though the effects are looking much better it still feels incomplete. Digging the epic scale of it all though, being unfamiliar with the Green Lantern origins I must say it's refreshingly epic, as compared to other superhero films. Mark Strong looks and sounds quite the part too.

• Fitness76

Apr 4th 2011, 19:39

I think Ryan is a brill actor but I think the film will not be that great.