Fox promise Prometheus will not seek audience-friendly certificate

"It will not be compromised"

Prometheus has yet to have the rule run over it by the MPAA, but given the amount of slippery, scream-inducing terror hinted at in the trailer, we wouldn't be surprised to see it bag an R rating. However, will Fox be happy to kiss goodbye to the potential profits such a certificate would prevent?

Well, not according to Fox CEO Tom Rothman, who promises that whatever version of the film Ridley Scott wants to put out will be the one that meets the censors.

"I can assure the fans absolutely they can take it that the film will not be compromised either way," says Rothman. "So if that means that the film is R, then it’ll be an R.  If it’s PG-13, then it’ll be a PG-13. But it will not be compromised."

At the recent footage reveal, Scott spoke about what a nonsense the whole issue of certification is, and called upon the MPAA to "get their house in order". It certainly seems unthinkable that he would give the go-ahead to a sanitised cut of the film in order to wring a few more quid out of the box office.

That said, it may be that Prometheus's horror is more implied than explicit, allowing the film to get away with a broader certificate. That said, if there really is a scene to rival the impact of the chestburster (as Scott has hinted there will be), that's probably not the case...

Prometheus
opens in the UK on 1 June 2012.

Does it matter what certificate Prometheus is given? Tell us your thoughts, below...

Comments

• MikeyRix

Apr 27th 2012, 7:12

Ah, so it may be a 15 over here, then? Excellent. I was a touch worried, even though my favourite film has a 12(A) rating. Hmm.

• gonzoBen

Apr 27th 2012, 8:20

"I can assure the fans absolutely they can take it that the film will not be compromised either way," says Rothman. "So if that means that the film is R, then it’ll be an R. If it’s PG-13, then it’ll be a PG-13. But it will not be compromised." - Poor, corporate git.

Apr 27th 2012, 9:14

So the cinemas won't be full of morbidly obese teenagers asking : "Wheres predator?" " I Don't get it" "Why is it sooo slow?" ? Rejoice!

• Beckymonster

Apr 27th 2012, 9:25

Booking for 'Prometheus' at BFI Imax yesterday, my receipt stated the rating was '15 TBC' - so make of that what you will...

• ChrisWootton

Apr 27th 2012, 9:31

I'm booked in at the IMAX too! couldn't get tickets til the 10th though... don't know if I'll be able to wait that long!!

• ThrashGordon

Apr 27th 2012, 9:52

I was discussing it with a friend the other day, that even though I've been able to go (legally) to see 18s for about 6 years now, I couldn't actually remember seeing any spectacular 18-rated blockbusters. It seems all my favourite 18 rated blockbusters are from the 80s or early 90s. Incredibly lame.

• badger86

Apr 27th 2012, 12:35

@ThrashGordon I think it's to do with the parameters of certificates changing. I doubt Predator or Die Hard would be given an 18 these days. Unless you're showing graphic sexual violence, child killing or prolonged and gratuitous torture, you can pretty much do what you want in a 15. Certification is becoming softer, not the movies.

Apr 27th 2012, 13:14

Would it be too expensive to release two additions ? R for adults and PG-13 for teens ?

• FBLKirkwood

Apr 27th 2012, 15:00

I think so, because my view on Prometheus getting a 15 certificate only is wrong. Because what Ridley Scott said earlier about the film certifcate getting an R is totally poppycock. I think it should have 2 versions, a 15 one where older teenagers can go, a 12A one where everyone can go with the gore taken out of the film. Well, we'll see about that Ridley.

• badger86

Apr 27th 2012, 15:55

Having two versions of a film for different age groups is nonsense. Why should a film intended for teenagers and/or adults have to cater to younglings? If you start chopping bits out it changes what the movie is, it's just wrong. let the kids wait till they are older or can get their parents to buy the dvd.

• FBLOzarows36

Apr 30th 2012, 20:55

i agree with badger86. having two films for different ages is stupid. Just make it R. half the people who've been waiting for this moving weren't even born when the original Aliens came out. i myself being born in 1990.