Fox to bring Commissioner Gordon spin-off Gotham to TV

Lands series rights from Warner Bros TV

Fox won a bidding war to bring Warner Bros TV's Batman spin-off to the small screen, with Gotham set to tell the origin story of Commissioner Jim Gordon.

With Marvel having already made the move into television with new series Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., Fox has gone all out to land the rights to the show from Warner.

The new series will follow Gordon’s early career in the Gotham City PD, focusing on his work as a detective, long before his first meeting with Batman.

Indeed, Deadline reports that Batman himself will not be a part of the series, although presumably there will be some other faces involved familiar to fans of the comic books.

No word as yet as to who might play the young Gordon, but they’ll have a tough act to follow in Gary Oldman. Feel free to make your suggestions in the comments box below…

Who should play the new Gordon? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Mck123

Sep 25th 2013, 8:21

Ok they need to leave it alone now, We have The Dark Knight Rises (terrible), Ben Affleck cast as Rebooted Batman (awful decision) and now this. DC are losing it in a ridiculous attempt to catch up with Marvel. DC had the initiative with TDK and have now lost it.

• ilikescifi

Sep 25th 2013, 8:51

the superhero phenomenon has permeated everything pop

• mpg20

Sep 25th 2013, 9:02

@Mck123 wow, you already know that Ben Affleck's performance as Batman will prove to be an awful decision? I can only assume this means you're clairvoyant so can I get next weekends lottery numbers if you get a second?

• vincevega

Sep 25th 2013, 10:07

HAHA! Well done mpg20!

• chibik

Sep 25th 2013, 11:31

Mck123's remark might have been premature, but I have to admit, it's getting a little ridiculous how DC keeps copying Marvel's business plan. Maybe it's a financially sound idea, I dunno, but they're just coming across as a poor imitation at this point.

• spid2411

Sep 25th 2013, 12:14

chibik - agree with you. It's not really relevant who plays him but rather the fact that DC are just copying a model designed for a different type of person/audience (the HAHA crowd) who haven't much maturity about them and who will watch any s**t that Marvel churn out and say it's great.

• BobTheSkull

Sep 25th 2013, 12:50

This has been in the works for a while from what I gather, so it's not really copying Marvel. It's not even out yet, so give it a chance. And, at Spid2411, we get it - you're a DC fanboy. Name calling anyone who dares to like a Marvel film isn't exactly showing much maturity now, is it? DC and Marvel cater to the exact same audience, its personal taste that dictates whether you like one or the other, or both.

• chibik

Sep 25th 2013, 13:47

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Marvel-level TV entertainment from DC. Smallville wasn't my cup of tea, though, and neither it or Arrow was was promoted as a movie tie-in anyway, which seems to be what this article is claiming at least.

• chibik

Sep 25th 2013, 13:50

And spid, please don't presume to agree with me. You're like a twelve year old with a keyboard.

• spid2411

Sep 25th 2013, 14:08

"presume to agree" with you...what are you, a god?Am I not worthy of your staggering insights? Forgive my ignorance - I bow to your superior intellect and love of "Marvel-level TV entertainment"

Sep 25th 2013, 14:17

He needs a red cordless that lights up under a cheese dome.

• dojj singh

Sep 25th 2013, 15:47

they had their own comic book series, gotham pd or something, i can't remember off the top of my head, which sounds like the prefect spin off series, not batman, not superhero s**t, just coppers doing coppering stuff

• daskoyne

Sep 25th 2013, 16:19

@dojj singh, yeah was called Gotham Central and followed the police perspective of living in a city filled with crazed vigilantes and maniacal villains. It is pretty awesome and I'd much rather they based a TV show on that premise.

• SiMan

Sep 25th 2013, 17:52

Ok, the Green Lantern was a let down, but does anyone else think DC missed a trick by not doing a tv show based on the Green Lantern Corps stories? That could have easily been developed into a show and could do its own thing, independent of their movie universe, but still be tied to it, seeing as how it is based out in space, but has characters tied to the justice league

• DarthTwitch

Sep 25th 2013, 17:54

Oh dear.

• DarthTwitch

Sep 25th 2013, 17:56

Oh, anyone who thinks Affleck as Batman is a terrible idea: have you FORGOTTEN Clooney? Affleck might not be the best choice, but he's FAR from the worst.

Sep 26th 2013, 9:15

Hmm this could work.

• patriciahanson

Oct 1st 2013, 19:31

upto I saw the bank draft which had said $9704, I accept ...that...my father in law woz like truly making money part time on their apple labtop.. there sisters roommate haz done this for under seven months and just now took care of the mortgage on their villa and bought Jaguar E-type. check... url.ℳn/23bb7d0