Frank Miller “can’t watch” Batman films

“I always hate them”

Frank Miller has been busy on the publicity trail for Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, and has revealed that he isn’t a fan of watching characters he has written for in other people's films, particularly in the case of Batman.

With Miller’s influence writ large on Christopher Nolan’s Bat-series in particular, you could be forgiven for expecting the writer to be a fan, but apparently, nothing could be further from the truth…

“When people come out with movies about characters I’ve worked on, I always hate them,” says Miller. “I have my own ideas about what the characters are like."

"I mean, I can’t watch a Batman movie. I’ve seen pieces of them, but I generally think, ‘No, that’s not him. And I walk out of the theatre before it’s over.”

“It includes all of them,” continued Miller when asked whether his comments extend to Nolan’s films. “I’m not condemning what he does. I don’t even understand it, except that he seems to think he owns the title Dark Knight. He’s about 20 years too late for that. It’s been used.”

Don’t expect to see Miller in the queue for Batman v Superman then. In the meantime, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For is in cinemas now.

What do you make of Miller's comments? Tell us, below!

Comments

• moviemind91

Aug 21st 2014, 6:53

He think he owns the title Dar Knight? Get a grip, Frank! Be grateful that your Batman comic-books (well, TDKR and Batman: Year One) have influenced others. His interpretation on Batman is different to other comic-book writers. That's what's brilliant about the character, there is so much you can do with him.

• QuietLife

Aug 21st 2014, 8:58

He sounds a little pompous to be honest. I don't think anyone who gave us "The Spirit" can really complain about anyone else's output!

• GAmbrose

Aug 21st 2014, 9:18

Ha, what a joke from the man that wrote an awful Batman comic: Google: 'All Suck Batman and Robin'

• Chufferstud

Aug 21st 2014, 12:34

He'll claim he invented film noir and German Expressionism too! Really put me off seeing Sin City now.

• endofdays2

Aug 21st 2014, 12:45

I thought Bob Kane created Batman, not Frank Miller. Yes, he's given us some of the most iconic monets on page for The Dark Knight but that doesn't mean he owns him. Wonder what he made of the Adam West series? Ponce.

• H3isenberg

Aug 21st 2014, 13:34

God, you Nolan fanboys are just the worst.

• QuietLife

Aug 21st 2014, 14:17

It's not being a Nolan fanboy (although I am) that made me comment. It's being an "arrogant nobhead" hateboy that did.

• anant

Aug 21st 2014, 15:05

He is correct in saying that Nolan doesn't own the Dark knight title, but with all due respect, neither does he. I don't understand these so called anti-Nolan, anti-DC, anti-Marvel, anti anything people's problem. All these are adaptations. Everyone is entitled to them. You like it, you watch, you don't like it, don't watch it. I loved Begins, TDK, found TDKR neither good nor bad. Found Supes to be plain awful, and am rather indifferent towards Batman VS Superman. But I also rather enjoy all Marvel movies. Again found IM3 just okay. So, enlighten me oh great H3iesenberg, since you are the one who knocks! What fanboy am I? (My only point is stop this group-ism and fanaticism. Judge each movie when it comes out and on its own merit.)

• Chufferstud

Aug 21st 2014, 15:19

^ what he said! ^

• endofdays2

Aug 21st 2014, 21:09

There be trolls under this bridge...

• MattTragic

Aug 21st 2014, 21:28

Of course he's right, after all Robocop 2 was a masterpiece.

Aug 21st 2014, 21:32

The Spirit end of discussion!

• H3isenberg

Aug 22nd 2014, 12:32

@anant I very much enjoyed your comment and quite obviously you are not the person I am commenting to, in fact you seem one of the more rational people on here, truly a person capable of saying a film is c**p if you feel it is rather than blind allegiance and trying to excuse the inexcusable. It is the people and this godawful magazine who insist, without fail, that Nolan is some form of higher being incapable of being criticised. I am not Anti-Nolan he has made some very good films but also some poor ones. My biggest issue is when anyone criticises him, the Nolan fanboys jump out spouting their rhetoric proclaiming all who disagree to be trolls. All it seems here is that a person who has been involved with Batman has voiced his opinion. What does Robocop 2 or The Spirit have to do with that?

• H3isenberg

Aug 22nd 2014, 12:34

Can he not have an opinion because he made a bad film?

• anant

Aug 23rd 2014, 17:05

I agree with you H3isenberg. Nolan fanboys are real extremists! I mean actually threatening the TDKR reviews to the point where the comments where barred on RT is taking it too far! In this particular article however I found Frank Miller's tone to be a bit rude. As Quietlife said it was being an "arrogant nobhead" that did it for me and apparently for some of the members in here. I am a fan of Frank Miller's, but these comments of his are shockingly pompous and unbelievably arrogant. “When people come out with movies about characters I've worked on, I always hate them, I have my own ideas about what the characters are like. I mean, I can’t watch a Batman movie. I've seen pieces of them, but I generally think, ‘No, that’s not him. And I walk out of the theater before it’s over" Wow, that really did it for me. And I would have been furious if he had said that of anyone's work. He is a contributor and not even a creator of Batman. I agree he's brilliant, but even Stephen King also has always been critical of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. And the man makes some excellent points as to why he hates it so much. He doesn't arrogantly just say that Kubrick changed the tone of my characters. H3isenberg you are correct in saying that the man is entitled to his opinion, all we are saying that its a bit rich coming from someone who doesn't have such strong views of 'The Spirit' Even you have to agree that the Nolan/DC bashers are extremists themselves. You say one bad thing about IM3 and they start with burning your effigies, and one good thing about TDKR or Snyder or MOS or Affleck for that matter and you're crucified! Please forgive me for the rant and kindly go easy on me. But I hate this kind of arrogance and fanaticism. Even Whedon criticized Nolan's films but he did so in extremely civil tones and grace that is synonymous of him. PS - I liked TDKR and found the film quite okay. Though it wasn't anywhere near the sequel TDK deserved and more things were wrong than right in it. I loved Hardy and I also found his voice iconic. Also really liked the opening sequence. There I said it, but just know that if something should happen to me, my family and friends will ask some questions.

• anant

Aug 23rd 2014, 17:14

Oh I am on a roll....just wanted to let you know that I found Skyfall plain awful. They took an iconic character and reduced it to a cry baby who doesn't stop crying till until the first half of the film. Loved casino royale but also think that daniel craig and sam mendes need to replaced immediately, coz daniel is looked ancient in sky and sam though brilliant, took a lot of liberties with and made a un- james bond like james bond film. He just looked like an 07 in the film, forget 007.

• QuietLife

Aug 24th 2014, 10:28

Thanks anant, I can see this feud continuing for some time but I agree with your root points. I generally consider myself someone who can find something enjoyable about nearly all movies (romcoms are a particular hurdle) and so too enjoyed TDKR and very much so MOS. (I'll even go so far as to put the final nail in my critic-coffin by saying I found Sucker Punch pretty fun. Ahem.) I also agree with you about Skyfall (maybe not to the same extent) in that I found it very bland and even had to stop myself nodding off when I first saw it (even in IMAX).

• QuietLife

Aug 24th 2014, 10:30

My bottom line I guess then is that it's a shame people have such high standards that they get so critical of movies. It seems Frank Miller is one of these people so I feel bad that he doesn't get the same level of enjoyment out of the interpretations of characters as I do.

• Mck123

Aug 27th 2014, 11:47

I can kinda see where Frank Miller is coming from. Out of all the films BB seems the most faithful, with TDK and Batman coming close joint 2nd. The less said about the others the better. When someone has written possibly the best Batman Comic of all time (The Dark Knight Returns) I think he has the right to make a few comments. I think it is also important to remember that it is the moneymen in Hollywood who call the shots on these comic films and the more they get involved the more distant from the source material the end result becomes (with the possible exception of BB and TDK strangely enough - but this was before Nolan disappeared up his self important ar@e and was my director of choice). Here is my proposal let's ditch these comic book movies for awhile - it is overkill and they seem to be getting more and more formulaic.