Full synopsis for Neill Blomkamp's Elysium

The District 9 director returns

Elysium, Neill Blomkamp's first feature since District 9, has been on the slate for quite some time, but up until now, the director has kept plot details very close to his chest.

All we've had to go on thus far is that the film is another sci-fi, with Matt Damon playing the leading role (for which he can be seen sporting a shaven head) and Jodie Foster appearing as the head of an off-world state.

However, that's all about to change with the release of a new synopsis that gives a full and thorough outline of what we can expect from the director's sophomore feature.

"In the year 2159 two classes of people exist," begins the blurb. "The very wealthy who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes (Jodie Foster), a hard government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium.

"That doesn’t stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. When unlucky Max (Matt Damon) is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that if successful will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarised worlds."

It sounds as though Blomkamp will be exploring similar themes to those dealt with by District 9, using a sci-fi backdrop to kick-start a socio-political discussion about the haves and have-nots of this world. That said, we're sure there will be plenty of action in there too! Elysium will open in the UK on 1 March 2013.

Has that first synopsis got you intrigued? Tell us your thoughts, below...

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Jun 15th 2012, 10:03

Loved District 9 and hoping for a similar movie this year to sneak past the radar and take the glory that has been left behind by some of the c**p that's been released so far. Really interested to see how this one turns out.

• Andy85

Jun 15th 2012, 11:15

That is not Matt Damon!! Surely, looks nothing like him, if it is I can't wait to see the trailer coz he looks bad a*s lol

• FBJRider

Jun 15th 2012, 11:35

I don't anyone would recognise Damon here unless they were told! @ChrisWootton, what c**p would this be? Have you not seen Avengers, Prometheus, Cabin in the Woods etc. This is a great year for film.

• ChrisWootton

Jun 15th 2012, 11:56

I have indeed seen those.. I know I'm in the minority but I didn't think the Avengers was very good, Cabin in the woods was ok but reminded me of an episode of Buffy or Angel.. and Prometheus? Well, I think you can tell by my comments on those threads that I wasn't a big fan. Basically nothing has made me think that tis has been a particularly strong year for movies so far in fact the best film out so far this year is Jaws..

• writerdave87

Jun 15th 2012, 12:46

Although it appears to be talking about the picture and seems like shoddy journalism, I think George is actually talking about this: http://media4.onsugar.com/files/2011/11/48/3/192/1922398/08048d3218fb4dd7_spl338580_001.preview/i/Matt-Damon-Shooting-Elysium-Mexico-City-Pictures.jpg

• SiMan

Jun 15th 2012, 16:24

The picture at the top appears to be from Dustrict 9. It looks like the bald South African guy who leads the military team at the end (can't remember his name)

Jun 15th 2012, 17:29

I can't wait !

• QuietLife

Jun 16th 2012, 0:17

Matt Damon appears to be Breaking Bad...